• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

It's official. Toronto Maple Leafs hire Mike Babcock.

hockeylover

Official thread. Discuss.

CFeApxQXIAAM3-m.jpg

Last edited:
Scary Eastern Media ‏@mlse 12m12 minutes ago
**** you (points at Wings fans), **** you (points at Tim Murray and laughs), you're cool (points at Babcock), **** you (everyone else)

I gladly eat the crow about Shanny not being able to hire anyone that's not in the OHL and eager for an NHL job.

You the man Shanny. It was a long shot, but you nailed it.

Now the team will not miraculously get better just because Babcock is behind the bench. But this time we're damn sure if the team is not performing, it is NOT the coach or the system.

ANd the players had better get their acts together. This guy is not gonna dick around and there's no way the players can get Babcock fired like they did to Carlyle either (that said, Carlyle did deserve it)

What is very interesting is - what does this mean for the immediate future of Kessel and Dion?

Especially Dion, who was maybe 1 more day of negotiation and a mill or 2 of cap retention away from going to Mike's team.

I gladly eat the crow about Shanny not being able to hire anyone that's not in the OHL and eager for an NHL job.

You the man Shanny. It was a long shot, but you nailed it.

Now the team will not miraculously get better just because Babcock is behind the bench. But this time we're damn sure if the team is not performing, it is NOT the coach or the system.

ANd the players had better get their acts together. This guy is not gonna dick around and there's no way the players can get Babcock fired like they did to Carlyle either (that said, Carlyle did deserve it)

What is very interesting is - what does this mean for the immediate future of Kessel and Dion?

Especially Dion, who was maybe 1 more day of negotiation and a mill or 2 of cap retention away from going to Mike's team.
I'm looking forward to not complaining about coaching for the foreseeable future.

Pretty huge news. shocking even, IMO.

Obviously the Leafs had to have the top offer financially, but that was the minimum requirement. I'll be fascinated to hear what else drew Babs to take this opportunity.

Pretty huge news. shocking even, IMO.

Obviously the Leafs had to have the top offer financially, but that was the minimum requirement. I'll be fascinated to hear what else drew Babs to take this opportunity.
For sure.

I mean, I thought we're way behind BUF's rebuild?? :) :) :)

Babcock picked TOR over BUF for the same $$. I mean, if it's Mrs babcock making that call it's a no-brainer. But I would like to hear if there's something else that made Babcock pick TOR.

He picked us when the same money was being offered elsewhere? Woah. That's cool. I would've thought we'd be the highest by a mile to get him.

He picked us when the same money was being offered elsewhere? Woah. That's cool. I would've thought we'd be the highest by a mile to get him.

All the things that people have been saying aren't important to him....legacy, quality of living (**** me, have these people never been to Buffalo?), attention, etc...probably turned out to be important to him.

Should we assume that having Babcock as coach will be a positive when it comes to luring free agents to Toronto?

Back