• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official NHL Draft Thread

I saw nothing from Hanifin that suggested he was at all upset about being taken by the Canes. If you watch the "mic'd up" segment on him from draft day, when the #5 pick comes up, you can tell he's eager to get selected, probably disappointed to not go top 4, but he says "I hope I don't get passed by this team". There's a bit of pride there, but afterwards he seems genuinely excited, and seemed to really hang on to Peter's telling him "he would play next year".

Button might not have been a huge fan, but the kid sure looks promising.

Those are some pretty solid biceps on those arms. They're not that important from a hockey point of view, but if the rest of him is that trained, I think he'll be OK to go from a physical readiness standpoint.

Just heard Noah Hanifin interviewed for quite some time on 99.9 The Fan.

He held his own well and comfortably during what can be an awkward interview at times from that crowd.

Sounds like a very level-headed kid. Believe we got ourselves a good one. :)

It's a bit sad that one of his first tastes of local media is being interviewed by the clowns at 99.9, The Clueless.

Put me down as stoked... a potential starting defense comprising of Faulk, Hainsey, Hanifin and Wisniewski... who knows about Fleury... We suddenly got a pretty promising bunch. I will add hope to other prospects like Trevor Carrick who seems to have some good potential at the PRO level as well.

Personally, I would be even happier if RF can go out and land a stay at home, mobile-enough bruiser on the backend...

....Faulk, Hainsey, Hanifin and Wisniewski...

That's a core decent enough to keep us out of last place IF the team can figure out how to score some goals. Wisniewski actually has a role to play in that he still has legit transition and power play skills.

Tough call with Hanifin. It appears that physically he probably mature enough to not get destroyed in the corners (not true of Fleury at this stage). If you are not adding other NHL Dmen to the mix, its definitely not a stretch to think that Hanifin right now is probably better than Ryan Murphy and Michal Jordan. He obviously would be able to be more physical than JM Liles if he throws his body around. Hanifin really has a legit shot of being in the Canes opening lineup unless he just looks extremely green and shaky in camp (even so he can go to Charlotte and play there as he has no junior affilation to worry about (unlike Jack Eichel)).

Its up to Hanifin though, and I could understand a little bit the desire to play one more year at BC. But he's got a shot to play in the NHL right away, get the standard max signing bonus, the max entry level salary, and a whole lot of bonuses that he probably is good enough to collect on and get his RFA and UFA clocks rolling right away. Its going to be hard to turn down the money considering how likely it is he will play in the NHL right away for the Canes if looks anything like the scouts all saw while ranking him so highly.

Last edited:

In one of his interviews, Noah said Peters told him "you're going to play" next season (assuming he decides to leave school).

Like cmaleski2, it's hard for me to not believe he could if he wanted. He's already playing against college junior/seniors that have access to the same diet and weight room training he has. Plus, he's captained a Canadian gold medal team.

I do believe he could hang in the NHL, especially with some protected zone starts at the beginning and the AHL tune-up option, if needed. But I bet he doesn't even need the AHL exposure.

Splash / swim. He's already an upgrade over a couple of pieces we put out there last season.

EDIT: I did hear Peters tell him when shaking his hand at the team table immediately after the selection was made:
"We're building something great here and you're going to be a big part of it." *respect*

So since RF has arrived...

He has at least maintained the level of D on the roster (minus Sekera plus Wisniewski), while turning our D pipeline from weak to very strong.

He has maintained our G situation and maybe improved it somewhat with Lack over Khudobin, Ward playing decent last season and the addition of a solid prospect.

He has not done much up front so far other than draft picks, although much of that can be attributed to anchor contracts that limit what he can do there.

He has us an extra first rounder next draft.

By the way Sekera is available. Heard he's looking for $6M per for 5 years from some LA paper...

Har - They are not a bad as David Glenn!

That's like saying being shot with a .22 isn't as bad as being shot with a .380. Just saying.

EDIT: I did hear Peters tell him when shaking his hand at the team table immediately after the selection was made:
"We're building something great here and you're going to be a big part of it." *respect*

In the "Mic'd Up" piece, Noah tells someone in his family "coach tells me I'll play next year". Would coach lie?

Last edited:

I'd have to go back and listen again, but I did hear Coach say something like "you're gonna play a big part" in what we're building, or something like that, in their brief handshake at the draft table.

"We're building something special and you're going to be part of it" or something along those lines.

Yes, that was it:

"We're building something special here and you're going to be a big part of it."

While shaking his hand and looking him in the eye.

*like*

In one of his interviews, Noah said Peters told him "you're going to play" next season (assuming he decides to leave school).

Like cmaleski2, it's hard for me to not believe he could if he wanted.

Make that three of us.

I watched a fair amount of Hanifin playing for BC and while he was clearly a freshman, he also clearly has game in all phases. Defensively he was very, very good ... in transition and as a passer, more of a work in progress. Watching him against his own age group in the Worlds, he was just super solid all around. There's no possible way he isn't already one of Carolina's top 6 D-men in the system right freaking now.

As to whether or not it's better long term for him to play another year at BC ... yeah, it would be fine. He could use a year to continue to grow physically and to be used more in power play situations and just get better with the puck under pressure. The college game is good for that since the offenses tend to really, really get on the forecheck hard.

50/50 call ... probably TBD in camp.

If he's at training camp that means he cannot go back to college right? Due to NCAA rules. He could go to Charlotte though.

If he's at training camp that means he cannot go back to college right? Due to NCAA rules. He could go to Charlotte though.

I thought they worked that out with the NCAA last year. I think the issue is actual payment and they can attend so long as they pay their own way. Not 100% certain of that however. I know for sure he can participate in the prospects camp and associated tournaments ... because college players do that all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back