• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Official Mitch Marner Thread

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

Yeah, this please.
Bozak is just so, so infirmary-on-skates anti-attack out there. Marner's talent is getting sucked out from under him, but I don't see Babs playing Nylander at centre at his stage, sadly.

I get why you want to split Matthews and Willy up but they are just so hard to contain out there on one line. They play with guys out there

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Nylander and Matthews also happen to be two of the best players Toronto has had in the last 25 years.

I don't think it's a stretch to think that each of them are also capable of having an optimal level of success playing on different lines---especially with the depth of wing talent in this organization right now.

What does seem like a stretch to me is trying to make an NHL center out of a kid who, except for a couple brief, unsuccessful stints of 9 or 10 games, hasn't played center at all at any level of competitive hockey since he was probably 14 or 15 years old.

I might agree with that line of thinking if the Leafs couldn't create another dangerous line without separating them. It's one of the advantages of the scoring depth that you can have a line like that.

To be clear---for this year, while Tyler Bozak's here, I think there's no point in separating that combo. Let them run wild this year.

And if another quality center materializes by the time the Leafs 2018 training camp rolls around, then by all means still keep the Matthews/Nylander combo. I just don't think moving Marner to center is a viable solution.

And I also think Willy's capable of being a top-line calibre NHL center in his own right, and that as good as he is with Matthews, it'd be something of a waste to keep him on the wing for the rest of his Leaf career. Just as it would've been if Kadri had been kept on the wing forever.

Yeah, this is speculating post-Bozak. Gotta wonder how long Lou and the nerds are going to tolerate him. If the other guys can keep up the good faceoff work, he may well be seen as expendable by Babs.

sakic/forsberg, yzermam/federov, crosby/malkin all looked great when they played together on the same lije too.

Yeah, this is speculating post-Bozak. Gotta wonder how long Lou and the nerds are going to tolerate him. If the other guys can keep up the good faceoff work, he may well be seen as expendable by Babs.
I still think he's going to make it to the end of this season as a Leaf (though he'll leave one way or the other in the off-season). By now, Babs and the braintrust are well aware of Bozak's limitations, and they seem to have made the decision that his strengths outweigh those weaknesses.

The only way he doesn't make it to the end of this season as a Leaf is if:

A) They acquire another center through trade that's an upgrade on Bozak
B) Miro Aaltonen rips the AHL to shreds, and successfully transitions to the NHL

...and neither of those scenarios seem likely to me.

I've always been a stacked line, play your best players together kind of guy.

but people will get their wish, as soon as the Leafs lose a few games we're bound to see some line shakeups. Marner will get his chance with Matthews sooner or later.

I still think he's going to make it to the end of this season as a Leaf (though he'll leave one way or the other in the off-season). By now, Babs and the braintrust are well aware of Bozak's limitations, and they seem to have made the decision that his strengths outweigh those weaknesses.

The only way he doesn't make it to the end of this season as a Leaf is if:

A) They acquire another center through trade that's an upgrade on Bozak
B) Miro Aaltonen rips the AHL to shreds, and successfully transitions to the NHL

...and neither of those scenarios seem likely to me.

I suspect the thing that kept Bozak in the mix is his faceoff skill rather than him netting out positive in the nerds/lou's eyes. Just look at how Babs uses him. He puts him out for tons of faceoffs. Bozak is like a soother for him. If he sees the other guys doing well on faceoffs, he may well be willing to give up the soother. It's also pretty clear that the nerds had the propellers running turbo on faceoffs this summer.

I don't think they're looking to replace Bozak through the trade market or even with a guy like Aaltonen. Nylander sharing draw duties is the best evidence they're grooming him to take over from Bozak. Unfortunately, his FO numbers so far are middling.

I fully expect, and hope, Willy moves to centre once Bozak is gone. And I agree with LGM that I don't think Marner is viable as a centre. Which is fine, because Matthews-Willy-Naz down the middle could be the top 1-2-3 punch of centres in the league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthews and Nylander will stay together because we'll replace Bozak...with Tavares.

Matthews-Nylander
Tavares-Marner

Championship time.

sakic/forsberg, yzermam/federov, crosby/malkin all looked great when they played together on the same lije too.
Because great players are great playing together ... and that's what the heroes lines are for.

Matthews and Nylander can drive their own lines next season, to give us 3 lines deep offense, and then we can shorten the bench and put together the heroes lines late in the game if we're behind

THAT SAID, as it seems like JVR will fetch lots of $$ in his next contract (and hence will either walk in the summer or be traded by deadline) but not much talk about Bozak, IF Bozak is willing to sign for peanuts I'm not totally against re-signing Bozak for dirt cheap. I have Bozak as much as the next guy, but the frustration with Bozak is further compounded by the fact that he's on a line with 2 other defensively irresponsible players in JVR and Marner. If our 3rd line is, say, a line with Marleau and Brown, I think it will do a lot better defensively.

Plus, we're pretty shallow in C depth in the system too. The goat probably won't become anything higher than a 4C in the NHL, and then behind them we have Brooks, Aaltonen in the system ... so retaining Bozak for cheap may not be the worst idea ever.

We don’t need Bozak. I mean, if he has an outstanding season and we win the Cup, I might reconsider, but definitely not resigning him to dollars and term.

Nylander shifts down to second line C, and Kapanen comes up. Bozak’s absence isn’t an issue with that simple tweak.

JVR is going to be an interesting situation. If he ends up with 30-35 goals, I don’t think he’ll walk away from an offer from another team that’ll pay him $20m more than we will. This is probably his last contract if he gets 7 years.

Back