• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Official Mitch Marner Thread

He was probably born in markham Stouffville hospital like all good York regionites.

Mitch the Centre?

Extremely small sample, but Marner has been killing it when in the faceoff circle. The new enforcement of faceoff rules may well benefit a guy like Marner, who isn't exactly built to muscle the puck in a scrum. With it being more purely stickwork, he may well be good here.

Oh yeah, he's a pretty good playmaker too.

Any thoughts on targeting Marner rather than Nylander as the future #2 centre?

Mitch is not scorer, he needs scoring wingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm just hoping he turns into a good 2 aay winger eventually, never mind taking on the defensive responsibility of a center.

Marner never really even played center in junior (beyond a few 10-12 game stints where his production plummeted), so I can't really see a move to that position at the NHL level being in his best interests as a player. He's got to stay on the wing, and he can still drive a line from that position.

Nylander, on the other hand, has been an elite center at both the SHL & AHL levels. He also had a 22-game stint as a center in the NHL at 19 years of age (playing almost exclusively with the likes of Colin Greening & Brooks Laich, who both washed out of the NHL afterwards), and he scored at a 20+ goal, just-shy-of-50-point pace, and was a positive possession player.

As much as it's fun having him and Matthews on a line together, I think he's still got to be the guy that you move to center in the long-term post-Bozak, and you could always replace him on Matthews' wing with Marner.

Last edited:
I think we just really need to see Marner away from Bozak and JVR. Those 2 float around puck watching too often. Marner is a wiz with the puck as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Hyman - Marner - Brown line to see if that can produce.

JVR - Kadri - Komarov
Marleau - Bozak - Marner

Might be more balanced defensively.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Truth is, there are so many interesting combinations with these forwards.

Maybe I would prefer to see Marner on Matthews' wing and Nylander at C. That could be a recipe for a 50 goal season, and it would mask Marner's current defensive issues.

Marleau-Matthews-Marner would be really fun. Brown-Nylander-Kapanen? Komarov-Kadri-Hyman?

Lots of good stuff.

The line combinations do start looking pretty interesting when you delete JVR & Bozak, and shift Willy over to the middle.

The line combinations do start looking pretty interesting when you delete JVR & Bozak, and shift Willy over to the middle.

Just this imo.

I want them gone. Last remnant of an era that shall not be named. Its too bad Thornton didn't buddy up with Marleau here.

Who knows, if the Sharks are bad enough this year, maybe they still get Thornton at the deadline.

Marner never really even played center in junior (beyond a few 10-12 game stints where his production plummeted), so I can't really see a move to that position at the NHL level being in his best interests as a player. He's got to stay on the wing, and he can still drive a line from that position.

I wouldn't draw any conclusions about production from a 10-12 game junior sample. Not sure why "he's got to stay on the wing." Shifting him to centre was the Leafs plan when they drafted him. It's all about team needs and he seems better suited to taking over from Bozak than Nylander ... from a team POV.

Nylander is just so well suited to playing with Matthews, I don't see why they'd want to change that. They are lethal together. Leave them be and find another dangerous combo post-Bozak. Putting Marleau on the wing to help with the responsibilities is a good set up for the transition. It also gives the Leafs greater centre depth, as Nylander and Matthews currently share that role.

Back