• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes acquire James Wisniewski from the Ducks for Anton Khudobin

Great, Jean-Michael Liles 2.0. Would have rather seen the Canes make a run at John Gibson as he now seems expendable and IS a real #1 future goalie.

He's a lot better then JM Liles.

Yes, I agree and was over reacting a bit but I am not a huge fan of this move. Rebuilding teams don't get better by taking 30+ year old salary dumps of other teams. If you will allow me one more sarcastic comment comparing Liles and Wisniewski......they each played the same number of playoff games last year ;)

Essentially the Canes traded away two draft picks to save some money on goalie this year and found a capable body to fill in the D by taking an older salary dump from another team. This is not the direction I was envisioning for a rebuild. Might as well go ahead and announce the extensions of Ward and Staal early. Everyone knows it is coming now.

Look ... Wisniewski is EXACTLY the kind of defender we NEVER go trade for. A veteran do-it-all defenseman who actually plays with an edge. The last time we moved for one of those guys it was Markov, and that my friends was a long bloody time ago. Wiz may have not fit Anaheim's top 6 in this year's playoffs, but that doesn't mean he can't play for us. If you'll recall, unlike the Ducks, the Canes actually suck. Wiz has been around the block and will give another solid vet along with Hainsey to pair up with a kid if we go that way ... or just to shore up a weaker partner. Which is pretty much inevitable either way. The salary doesn't hurt us either. We're nowhere near the cap, nor are we near the self imposed budget ... if we move a single big contract which pretty much has to be the goal this summer.

Also, I like Lack as a pure backup better than Khudobin, who really needs to be a starter at this stage of his career. If you're sticking with Ward, then Lack is a good fit behind him.

And lookit ... nobody's been more critical of Francis lately than me, and for the first time since he got the GM's office I'm starting to see hints of a game plan for improvement. Let it breathe a little.

I think the Canes did a helluva job getting Lack and Wisniewski for Khudobin, a 3rd and a 6th.

I think the Canes did a helluva job getting Lack and Wisniewski for Khudobin, a 3rd and a 6th.

Yeah ... but I understand that those moves undercut the "Get Ward Out" movement that's been gathering strength her for about 5 years.

Take away that angle, and I really like the combination of those moves.

Yeah ... but I understand that those moves undercut the "Get Ward Out" movement that's been gathering strength her for about 5 years.

Take away that angle, and I really like the combination of those moves.

Lack has shown the ability to be a starter... and definitely better than Ward at this point. I'd say getting him makes Ward more expendable... not less.

I will miss the heck out of Dobby. Most entertaining goalie to watch from an in-the-arena standpoint since Irbe. But he needs to be a starter, and apparently that's not going to happen here.

But this is a terrific trade for what it brings. Beyond the adjustment of Lack for the back-up that could be #1 and what that means salary wise, the addition of Wisniewski is an excellent infill of a needed good-guy veteran presence that will most def help our anemic power play. He has a bomb of a point shot that is actually on net a lot of the time.

I like this move.

Exactly ... and that, my friend is a rare day in Hurricaneville.

Pending a home run with Khudobin... well Wisniewski is a pretty solid pickup and will provide for some veteran leadership. Will be interesting to see if Hanifin wants to and can mae the big club this year.

I would give the org a much higher grade for round two than others, if it weren't for the LW Sebastian Aho pick. Not so sure about that one. Considering what was still on the board.

Back