• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Staal Is Gone!

I don't necessarily expect it, but obviously would greatly welcome it...the ship may have sailed, but wouldn't it be something if Zach Boychuk actually makes a future worthwhile for himself with the Canes on their 3rd or 4th line....

I know forever the optimist. Like I said, the ship has sailed, but...

Since I'm over Boychuk, the biggest disappointment of all of those is Nash. I really thought he had a chance to be something halfway decent, if he'd just get up to speed.

OK ... good.

Those moves show a realistic grasp of where we are competitively with regards to depth players.

Nash is not now nor is he ever likely to be a legit center in the NHL. There are just too many issues. He's got decent enough instincts, but is just not quite there physically. Not quite fast enough, not quite big enough, not quite a good enough shot ... not quite a lot of things. I assume they've either slotted the guy we signed from Sweden in there or are thinking about splitting the Staals up again and using Lindholm or Skinner in the 3rd line role. Either is fine because Nash just isn't playing 3rd line minutes on a winning NHL team.

Staal the Youngest ... giant meh of a prospect that they clearly strung along for the brother value, and it's past time to put such foolishness aside and get on with building a serious hockey team around here. He's just not going to be an NHL player, in large part because he clearly doesn't want to work hard enough. How long has the guy been in pro hockey and still not bothered to hit the gym and get in shape? I mean, c'mon.

Levi and Schmitz ... did anyone who watched even a single Checkers game think these guys were anything other than AHL roster fodder? No.

The four guys they qualified all share one thing in common ... they are at least decent AHL players. You need guys like that if you're going to have any chance of competing in the A. Fine. None of them are likely to be NHL prospects anytime soon, but none of them would barf on themselves in callup duty either.

They can still re-sign Nash, they're just not bound to the terms that a QO would bring. At his $600K salary from last year, his QO would have to have been $660K. By not qualifying him, we can still re-sign him, but at a lower or equal salary than he made last year.

Consistency is the major issue with Nash. He just can't compete and win opposite the guy he's lined up against night after night.
I'm hoping we move on.

Consistency is the major issue with Nash. He just can't compete and win opposite the guy he's lined up against night after night.
I'm hoping we move on.

True dat. His faceoff percentages managed to climb just over the 50 percent mark last season (50.9%), but were 44 and 45 percent the two prior seasons.

Becomes difficult to even define a role for him. Not playmaking center, not scoring center, not shutdown center, not faceoff-winning center.

Conclusion? Not a center...at least at the NHL level.

Back