• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Traffic mess Wed in Raleigh

Paulie Walnuts

It's a good idea to avoid I-40 and West Raleigh tomorrow starting around 3 unless you have a good reason to be there. :smile(21):

U2 was bad traffic and that was on Sat. with no rush hour.

Which means ALL the roads back into Raleigh from RTP will be a mess. I think tomorrow PM could be a good time to take the afternoon off and go... play.

I got this from the good folks at AEG:

All parking is general admission. Cost is $20 per car and $50 per bus and RV. Cash and credit cards will be accepted. Please have payment ready when you reach your parking attendant.To view a map showing reccomended routes for entry, please click here to download a PDF map.

Taxis and Uber drivers can pick up and drop off in the Fairgrounds Reserved Parking Lot, located at the corner of Trinity Road and Youth Center Drive. The entrance to this lot is off of Youth Center Drive.

Vehicles are not permitted to line up on public roads prior to the gates opening at 4p. Unattended vehicles in the roadway or public right-of-way are subject to be towed at the owner's expense.
The NC Highway Patrol will have electronic signage on all major highways giving up to the minute traffic information 15 miles out from the Stadium (in all directions). They will instruct patrons to the best route at that time to minimize traffic delays.

http://click.lv.enewsaxs.com/?qs=cf...061f44599f8533d722c542ca56cf378fd36b770182bd6

I got caught in the U2 traffic and ended up parking on Wade. I'm not even that huge of a U2 fan (my wife really wanted to go) but it's a credit to them that they put on a show that I still remember fondly even after the hours long parking nightmare. Hopefully people will be able to say the same after tonight!

Tip ... go 2 hours earlier than whatever you consider to be stupid early.

Also, do try and catch the Avett Brothers if you're going to the show. They're good value live even if you don't care for them normally.

I love the Stones (haven't seen them live in nearly 30 years) and I really enjoy Carter-Finley for stadium shows. That said, after I saw what they were asking for ticket prices and then heard from friends who saw them earlier on the tour how weak the show was, I elected to pass.

I saw them at Duke ten years ago and they were already decrepit. But it was still a pretty good show, and we had great seats.

At this point... BTDT.

I'm going, who cares about the traffic. Plan. These guys are hall of famers. Who cares if they are 70, they're the Rolling Stones. I saw The Who a couple of months ago at PNC. Great show. I had Pat Benatar tickets for tonight until The Stones announced this date too.
I can't wait.

These guys are hall of famers.

Seen Chuck Berry in the last 20 years? That's not good enough to justify the outlay in my book. Keith is maybe my favorite guitar player of all time .... based on work he did over 40 years ago.

No offense intended but I've been around enough dinosaur tours at this stage to last me a lifetime. I saw the Stones in the 70s. That's how I want to remember them. I went to a Who show back about a year before the Ox died, but I drew the line there ... and frankly, even though that was a good enough show, it still made me crashingly sad.

But everybody is responsible for their own ticket buying enthusiasms. I hope you have a great time, and do try to catch the Avetts. Seth and Scott are great.

Took about double the time to get from North Raleigh straight down Creedmoor to Edwards Mill. They only have 2 lanes turning into the arena lot instead of the 3 for a Canes game. But I'm in my spot in plenty of time, enjoying a Stella.

We were playing golf in Preston about 6 and all the roads through Preston, plus high house and Cary parkway were bumper to bumper. I've never seen traffic like that in the almost 20 years I've lived here. I suspect the beltline, 54 and 40 were backed up so people tried taking back roads thru Preston.

Traffic was not too bad. Biggest holdup was that everyone had to pay for parking so the lines getting into the lot were slow.

Show was good but not as good as the Who.

I first saw the Stones in 1981, again in 2005 and then last night. They're showing their age, but then so were most folks in attendance. The guys on stage looked better and moved better than a lot of folks I saw last night. Not the best show, but a good show- fun! Probably the last time I will get to see them- no regrets! I enjoyed it!

I saw The Who in 1982 and regret not seeing them this past spring at PNC.

Glad you had fun SS ...

A bit of local Stones trivia.

Did anyone know that Keith's practice amp of choice is a Carr Skylark, handmade in lovely Pittsboro, NC? Keith has a couple of them for use on the road, primarily as warmup amps that he keeps in the dressing room.

There ya go. Something you probably didn't know unless you were a fellow guitar nerd for a Holiday weekend gift.

The sound mix had problems , mainly at first. The vocals seemed to be buried beneath the guitars.

Speaking of guitars Pete Townshend uses a modified Eric Clapton model Fender Strat for live shows. Which is funny because he has 4 models with his own name on them.

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PETE-TOWNSH...140?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463d362c24

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Gibson...312?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4f8088b0

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Aco...bo/Gibson-Acoustic/Pete-Townshend-SJ-200.aspx

Last edited:
Yeah, other than that goofy looking Gibson J 2000 acoustic he's always played, Pete's always been a nomad gear-wise. He'll get onto something for 2-3 years and then run off to something else. He's been associated with a ton of manufacturers at some point ... Fender Strats and Teles, Rickenbacker semi hollow bodies, Gibson (SG and LP), those stupid Schecter Tele copies he played in the 80s. Unlike a lot of players from his generation, I don't think Pete's much of a gear head. He certainly doesn't name his guitars the way Clapton and Richards do.

I know Pete likes those EC Strats for the same reason a lot of players do ... the built in Mid-range booster is sweet as heck.

Sad to hear that the Stones sound team couldn't get a good mix the other night. I know they employ the best in the biz, so that's really disappointing. You used to expect crappy sound quality at stadium shows, but things have changed so much in PA equipment that you expect good audio in any setting these days. I know US had probably the most impressive live stadium sound I've ever heard back on that last tour when they played Carter Finley. Just ridiculous clarity ... even when Muse's bass player was bashing away in three octaves at once.

Well the sound mix did improve over time but the first 2 songs were really rough. The Avett Brothers sounded fine. Sometimes the opening acts don't sound good at all as the sound guys don't care much about them.

But other people said the mix was OK so maybe it's just my old ears. :)

Glad you had fun SS ...

A bit of local Stones trivia.

Did anyone know that Keith's practice amp of choice is a Carr Skylark, handmade in lovely Pittsboro, NC? Keith has a couple of them for use on the road, primarily as warmup amps that he keeps in the dressing room.

There ya go. Something you probably didn't know unless you were a fellow guitar nerd for a Holiday weekend gift.

Do you know where the first functional electric guitar was crafted?

Back