• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Bergevin press conference

Аrpon Basu
Me: Why will PP improve when there's no changes?
MB: We're only July 2.
Me: So what's changing?
MB: I'm looking at stuff to make it better.

Аrpon Basu
Bergevin says reason he said Galchenyuk may not become a centre is so he doesn't feel pressure to one day do that. Says it's still possible.

Tune was a little different today...as expected

Аrpon Basu ‏
"A player doesn't need to run people over to be effective" - Bergevin on Kassian, noting if he has the puck, he won't need to hit people

Аrpon Basu ‏
"The biggest mistakes are made on July 1, so you have to be careful" - Bergevin

Аrpon Basu
Bergevin said Kassian's back issues are not structural and are not a concern to him or organization.

I like how Bergevin didn't know what the reporter meant by "character" when Jessica Rosnak (sp) asked him why someone like him that values character so much got a player in Kassian that has none.

The problem with Philippe Cantin is that like most of the French Quebécois sports media, he has no talent at talking and he doesn't know his right hand from his left foot.

So when he challenged Bergevin on the Canadiens playing a defensive system, he had no idea what to answer when Bergevin asked him to elaborate. You heard long pauses of silence because the dumb**** has no idea how to describe what a defensive system looks like.

He doesn't like people that don't know what they're talking about. All the teams in the league are defensive teams, we're not different. That's how the league is these days.

true, he agreed Tampa has more offensive punch but said they are a defensive team too

BrianWilde
I may have to say this everyday. When Price asks for 11 and Pacioretty asks for 9, the window is closed. This is the miracle moment NOW.

Аrpon Basu ‏
"The biggest mistakes are made on July 1, so you have to be careful" - Bergevin

And on trade deadline day he probably says that the biggest mistakes are made on that day. Always with the excuses.

The biggest mistake that the GM of a team that is on the brink of being a Cup-winner, with its core group in or entering their primes and with cap-friendly contracts to boot, is to do nothing. As Wilde tweeted today, once Price and Pacioretty start asking for real money the party's over. And as I always say when you come to the realization that your window of opportunity is open it's probably already beginning to close. Price had a season for the ages last year and Bergevin and Therrien wasted it by doing nothing about the power play and the black hole in the top 6. Considering what little Bergevin has done so far this summer, Price will need to have another career year next season just to keep this bunch from missing the playoffs.

Draft picks and prospects who may be able to contribute 5 years from now do not matter. The time to win is now so MB needs to go for it. Mortgage however much of the future you have to and win it now. It's no time for caution. This team is right there. It's tantalizingly close. It is one significant deal (and one coaching change) away from finally getting over the hump.

Not so sure, he's made the best trades & most impactful for his team, the last two trade deadlines, just sayin...

and this year he inked petry who was probably the most valuable free agent of the whole bunch . so its not like he did nothing

Yeah, he still has until the trade deadline to make moves. Folks need to chill.

He needs to sign Galchenyuk, obviously. And I'd like to see a less than ideal contract removed from the cap before the season starts.

Back