Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015 Gold Cup Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2015 Gold Cup Thread

Jamaica took out Haiti 1-0 for the right to meet the U.S.

T&T and Panama ended 1-1 AET, and Panama won it on the 9th round of penalties, 6-5. Jamie Penedo, Galaxy's starting goalie, the hero with the sprawling save at the end.

Mexico beat CR 1-0 literally in the dying moments of the match on one of the dodgier penalties you'll ever see, but they were the better side as the game wore on. They get to take on Panama in the semis.
    Hockey (particularly NHL) and "football" (soccer, particularly EPL) enthusiast.

Post Thanks / Like

Whew. Yesterday was a blood letting in Met Life Stadium. The first game went to PKs with two extremely exhausted looking teams and the second should have done so before Mexico was bailed out by a series of baffling and horrific officiating decisions. They won it on a PK in the 120th+ minute they didn't deserve, in extra time that never should have been added on and drawn by a player that should have received a straight red for one of the worst scissor kick tackles I've ever seen a few minutes before. I'm absolutely gutted for Costa Rica. They were clearly second best in the game, but fought and clawed their way to PKs only to see it derailed through no fault of their own. Pitiful. Typical CONCACAF crap.

So the semis are set:

US vs Jamaica ... same as usual with these two. The US are the vastly superior technical team and the Jamaicans have just enough speed and grit to make it tough ... IF they bother. Sometimes they don't. Get your foot on their neck early the way the US did against Cuba and it could be another runaway. But more likely than not the Reggae Boys will actually try, given the opponent, so this is unlikely to be a stroll for the Amerks.

Mexico vs Panama ... Panama has been a real handful in this Gold Cup the same way they were in the last, while Mexico has been all over the place, form-wise. God only knows in this one, but the Mexican D will probably be tested more than they were against a pretty cautious Costa Rican side yesterday. And they've been VERY shaky at times in this tournament. I figure El Tri will find a way, but this one's a dog fight.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW ... dummy me just now realized that unless they show the Gold Cup Final on the cruise ship I'm on next week, I'm going to miss the big finish.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, you sound so disappointed...

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you could always run up your cell phone bill and stream it onto your phone...

Post Thanks / Like

No POSSIBLE way I pay for enough Canadian data for this nonsense.

I've been told there's at least a decent chance they'll have it in one of the bars on ship. The international crew will be interested even if the American passengers don't care.

And given that in my summer near boredom I've sunk a ton of time into watching this tournament I would actually be disappointed. Particularly if it's a US/Mexico final .... and given that this is CONCACAF we're talking about, that's pretty much a given. I expect three legally blind geriatrics to be officiating the Mexico/Panama game.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    BTW ... dummy me just now realized that unless they show the Gold Cup Final on the cruise ship I'm on next week, I'm going to miss the big finish.
    One less thing to worry about on the cruise.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

That sucked.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. It did suck.

Just lacking the finish, I guess. Plus the same issue with a spell of defensive coordination. Plus yet another ref meltdown ... a free kick? Really? For THAT?

So, hopes dashed for the US in this one. It hurts worse because it was on home soil and against freaking Jamaica. But at least we blooded in a lot of youngsters who looked pretty good for the most part.

Post Thanks / Like

Well ... Panama/Mexico went .... well?

No. It went like Sharknado III Oh Hell No. And it deliciously ended with Panama's team posing in front of a banner accusing CONCACAF of corruption ... so there's that.
    Bottom line, Mexico is now in the final thanks to not one, not two, but THREE penalty kicks over the course of two games that were all questionable to out and out undeserved. Good thing I'll be missing the Final, because at this point I'm too disgusted to watch anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, the last penalty was a stone-cold call. No way the ref doesn't call that one. But the first one? Yeah, that was atrocious.

Problem was the Panamanian national team losing its cool the way it did. The officials should have walked off the pitch when things got their worst. And Mexico's players and coaches were nearly as bad with their behavior. Why their head coach was in the face of the Roman Torres is beyond me. At least Andres Guardado did all he could to keep his team from letting that ugly incident escalate even further. Was really impressed with how he interposed himself with his teammates and Panamanian players during that scrum, and then at the end made sure they stayed away as Panama's players charged the match official.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably right about that call ... upon further reflection that was probably solid. The other one? It was as bad as the gist they got against Costa Rica or worse.

And yeah ... it got ugly with a capital ugly. Panama lost their collective minds. But you know what? I think that Mexican sides quite often pressure refs into these nonsense calls by literally driving them to distraction with their routinely dirty physical play, simulation ALL OVER the pitch and constant whinging like 2 year olds. I honestly think they do all that crap on purpose to temp refs into just finally caving in to the constant pressure. They remain the worst.
    Last edited by jeffbear; 07-25-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Geiger worked the Mexico-Panama match, the same guy who became the first American to work a knockout round game in last year's World Cup and was the 4th official in the Germany-Brazil semifinal. This was not some run of the mill CONCACAF schlub off the street, with no big game experience. Which makes it even more bizarre.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said ... I think sometimes even the best of refs gets driven bonkers by the Mexican tactics. And Geiger is a pretty good ref. Best in MLS by a mile.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

#klinsmannout

Post Thanks / Like

^^^I agree. I mean, Bradley got the sack for the 2011 debacle, and that was after we made the finals!

Add note: Yahoo! Sports agrees with us.
    Four years ago this week, Jurgen Klinsmann took over as United States men's national team head coach after the Americans lost to Mexico in the Gold Cup final. Bob Bradley was let go in large part because that defeat to Mexico meant the U.S. wouldn't be heading to the 2013 Confederations Cup in Brazil.

Now, with the national team needing to win a one-game playoff in October to ensure qualification for the 2017 Confederations Cup in Russia, Klinsmann surely must be on the hot seat and held to the same standard as Bradley. Lose and Klinsmann's tenure with the USMNT should be over. Kaput.

Bob Bradley should get a 2nd chance
    Last edited by Cali Ed; 07-27-2015 at 02:43 AM. Reason: add Yahoo story link

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, Mexico beat Jamaica 3-1 to claim the Gold Cup for the 7th time. Guardado scored again, and won the Golden Ball award.

Dempsey won the Golden Boot, but have to admit I was surprised that Guzan won Golden Glove. No matter, we didn't win.

The play-off for the Confederations Cup spot is October 9th at a place TBD. If oddsmakers place a bet on it, the Rose Bowl would be heavily favored at this point. Seems about right: not quite home field advantage for Mexico (not with the smog and altitude "benefits" of Azteca) but the next best thing for Mexico. I'd prefer Seattle, but what do I know?

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer Columbus, El Tri's house of horrors.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the Rose Bowl. I'm going to try to get tickets to go.

I was suggesting a "neutral" place where El Tri was going to get less than 90% of the support, but not a majority of Americans. That's why Columbus would never happen. Not big enough, and Mexico would never agree to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12