• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hanifin signs 3 year deal

Very glad to see this, although it comes with some risk in his development process. With a highly-ranked player you'd like to see him jump in and make an immediate impact, but that's unrealistic for most players. Still, I'm happy he's committed to the Canes. No Jack Johnson he is.

And I was just about to float the concept of letting him go back to BC for a year rather than burn a year of his ELC and RFA status when we're not going anywhere. :sarcasm

But, seriously, can't disagree with the decision of either party. He's ready and we'll work out the money for this one.

Welcome to the Canes, Noah Hanifin. Or should I say Captain Hanifin?

It could happen.

Awesome Dawson!

I have no problem with us playing our youth. Other orgs have gone this route through rebuild with success. I like what it 'says' on many levels about Hanifin, the org, etc. These kind of things tend to be catchy, would be nice to see some of these kids come out and knock our sox off come training camp time. Not setting the bar there but still, nothing like some healthy competition and drive from our prospects and up and comers!

That didn't take as long as he thought...the itch to get going and the possibility he could play some or all of the season in the NHL was too hard to resist. No wrong decision to be made here although I would sure look to get my entry level deal jumpstarted if I'm thinking about financials... He could be 20 and ask for and get a contract extension for 5 or 6 years at $5+ million per now that we've effectively stopped bothering with bridge contracts in the NHL.

I'm encouraged by his enthusiasm and view of this as a challenge to overcome. Even if this year ends up another bad one, the chance to watch Hanifin start his career and compete in preseason with Fleury and our other D prospects for a job will be something we will all get excited about. And who knows, maybe the Canes will be sending 2 USA blueliners to world competitions years down the road.

Last edited:
That didn't take as long as he thought...the itch to get going and the possibility he could play some or all of the season in the NHL was too hard to resist. No wrong decision to be made here although I would sure look to get my entry level deal jumpstarted if I'm thinking about financials... He could be 20 and ask for and get a contract extension for 5 or 6 years at $5+ million per now that we've effectively stopped bothering with bridge contracts in the NHL.

I'm encouraged by his enthusiasm and view of this as a challenge to overcome. Even if this year ends up another bad one, the chance to watch Hanifin start his career and compete in preseason with Fleury and our other D prospects for a job will be something we will all get excited about. And who knows, maybe the Canes will be sending 2 USA blueliners to world competitions years down the road.

Great signing, in my mind the kid is already talented enough to play in the Canes top four on the backline, now that is not saying much based on the paper thin offerings after Faulk but this kid is going to be star.

The 2016 draft is said to be another bumper crop and the Canes already have two first rounders...so if they struggle they will be in position to load up on some top shelf talent up front.

Bottom line ... Carolina's D is weak as water and they aren't going anywhere this season so you may as well let it ride on the kid and let him take his lumps while we stink.

Sounds cynical, but them's the facts. And the same holds for Fluery. Bring 'em all up and let's get the development process going. If they struggle, send 'em back to Charlotte to build up again. Same approach was taken with Faulkie and that worked out pretty well. And I trust this staff about a million times more than the guys who were in charge when Faulk came up.

Bottom line ... Carolina's D is weak as water and they aren't going anywhere this season so you may as well let it ride on the kid and let him take his lumps while we stink.

Sounds cynical, but them's the facts. And the same holds for Fluery. Bring 'em all up and let's get the development process going. If they struggle, send 'em back to Charlotte to build up again. Same approach was taken with Faulkie and that worked out pretty well. And I trust this staff about a million times more than the guys who were in charge when Faulk came up.

Was going to post this yesterday, had to run. But essentially the way I see it is the same. Why not? Get their development going now, not like we have anything better going on. What is key is that expectations are set appropriately. Work hard, learn and enjoy the process. Don't set the bar too high (can't set it much lower than it already is anyway.... so)

Was going to post this yesterday, had to run. But essentially the way I see it is the same. Why not? Get their development going now, not like we have anything better going on. What is key is that expectations are set appropriately. Work hard, learn and enjoy the process. Don't set the bar too high (can't set it much lower than it already is anyway.... so)

Just a reminder that Fleury can't be sent to Charlotte, he has to be offered back to Red Deer first.

But, seriously, we have 3 NHL caliber dmen on the roster; Faulk, Hainsey and Wis. If Hanifin and Fleury can't beat out two of Murphy, Liles or Jordan, our scouting department sucks more than I thought. If Hanifin stays in Raleigh, it has the added benefit of allowing 1 more guy in Charlotte to develop...Pesce, Carrick, Slavin, Biega, Lowe, etc.

Just a reminder that Fleury can't be sent to Charlotte, he has to be offered back to Red Deer first.

But, seriously, we have 3 NHL caliber dmen on the roster; Faulk, Hainsey and Wis. If Hanifin and Fleury can't beat out two of Murphy, Liles or Jordan, our scouting department sucks more than I thought. If Hanifin stays in Raleigh, it has the added benefit of allowing 1 more guy in Charlotte to develop...Pesce, Carrick, Slavin, Biega, Lowe, etc.

Faulk-Wisniewski
Hainsey-Liles
Hanafin-Jordan
Murphy-Fleury

If Fleury comes in and earns a spot then one of Murphy or Jordan could be sent down...even with Jordan's one way deal.

I'm sure Liles becomes trade bait closer to the trade deadline but he is the guy you would love to purge from this team to free up space for both Hanafin and Fleury to develop. The Canes should not be too worried about burning up entry level years on either Hanafin or Fleury since both of those guys should be mainstays on the Canes blueline for years to come.

If only Hanafin makes the team out of camp, then I'd prefer two pairings from Faulk/Wiz/Hainsey/Hanifin, and one of Liles/Murphy/Jordan that I'd try to limit to 12-15 minutes a night. If Fleury makes it too, then I'd separate Faulk/Wiz/Hainsey and make sure both rookies got paired with the better vets, and maybe get a little more time out of the third pair.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that SlapShots

Not that (hopefully all) our other kids don't also bust their butts all summer to improve in areas of their games, but its great to read about how hard Hanifin works on everything, the things he is good at and the things he is not so good at. We still need to be cautious here and not let the kid get too far ahead of things if he's not ready, but its clear from everything we read at least that this kid is going to put in all of the work necessary to best position himself to make the Canes.

Exciting for sure.

Nice article! It's good to see that others who have worked with him consistently compliment him on his attitude and work ethic. I sure hope he is ready to make the NHL transition, because we could sure use him. Like everyone else, I'm also worried about pushing him too soon, but I think the Canes know he's an asset that may take time to develop.

Transitions and crossovers are the hardest thing for a defenseman. Quite a few lose a half step. I've worked with many trying to gain that half step and accelerate out.

Transitions and crossovers are the hardest thing for a defenseman. Quite a few lose a half step. I've worked with many trying to gain that half step and accelerate out.

when i read that article, I thought of you dwind- knew you'd be one to appreciate what the kid was working on this summer.

Back