• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Contracts

Habspatrol

Administrator
Staff member
So I closed the other thread since I think we're set going forward with using NHL salaries.

That said, I'm having problems setting this up. I've set it to "real" and it appears to be setting the cap hit to match this year's pay... instead of the real cap hit.

Ask deckie, he had that sorted out in a test league we were playing around with on Fantrax a while back.

Actually I got it... I'd say "I figured it out" but that would be a lie. But it's correct not.

So, are caps based on last year, because I see Semin's is still showing $7M... how's that going to work?

I've edited Toews, Kane and Semin.

If anyone else notices any that are wrong, please let me know,

And I assume everyone knows by now... since it's been talked about a lot on the draft chat. But we are using actual NHL cap hit.... some of the guys' contracts haven't been updated Fantrax... but I will be editing all incorrect salarys.

So Fantrax and most sites seem to have guys on their ELC listed at their base salary. Whereas the actual cap hit in the NHL includes bonuses.

For instance, NHLnumbers.com has McDavid at $3.775m while Fantrax and other sites only list his base salary.

I assumed we would use the actual cap hit on ELCs.

Actual cap hits. Eichel is showing 3.75. I think that's right. Everyone should also take a look through there roster and make sure it's correct as a lot of guys have spent more then there showing

Actual cap hits. Eichel is showing 3.75. I think that's right. Everyone should also take a look through there roster and make sure it's correct as a lot of guys have spent more then there showing

I set McDavid and Eichel to $3.775m because I thought we were counting bonuses. I'll have to change the rest as well.

That's going to be a lot of work. But I can do it if that's what we decide.

Technically they don't count in the NHL until a player achieves them. Also there is a bonus cushion allowing you to go over the cap, but if that happens it effects your cap the next year. Handling them like in real life would be too much work IMO.

Manually inputting them for every ELC, every year would also seem like an insane amount of work to maintain too.

Path of least resistance for me, but I'm good either way.

I agree with the path of least resistance and using the base salaries. The micromanagement to update all ELCs to include bonuses would be painstaking. As mentioned by leafman101, they do have to achieve this bonus in order for it to be applicable to the cap. Assuming that everyone would hit would be quite the leap of faith, would it not?

In any event, I won't be in an uproar either way. Whatever the majority agrees with is fine by me.

You can't adjust some players and not all players. Either you use elc for all or none.

You can't adjust some players and not all players. Either you use elc for all or none.

That WAS the plan... but it appears to be too big of a task.

Unless there is overwhelming demand that we use bonuses I'm just going with base salaries.

Agree with the general consensus in that (a) I'll support whichever option you choose, but (b) if you are looking for opinions, using the base salaries would be hella-easier.

I also had a few questions about enforcement of the cap. Is every team responsible for self-reporting their cap hits? What happens if somebody doesn't do that? Let's say a team is $2M under the cap, but we realize halfway through the season that they are rostering a player listed at $1M in Fantrax, but who actually has a $5M cap hit. What happens? That example could involve getting mad at the person for not checking, but what if they did check a cap site and both the site and Fantrax were wrong? What are the repercussions? Also, what happens if a team trades a $2M cap hit player for a $6M cap hit player halfway through the season, which puts them over the cap? Who is policing that? Also, would there be a pro-rated cap for a half-season of these players, or simply the full cap hit?

Do we have any idea when fantrax updates their caps? And the question would be what happens to the manually edited players if there is a discrepancy between what you put in and what fantrax wants it to be?

Say for example you accidentally changed a contract to 4mil but it shoulda been 3mil. Does fantrax fix that or do you maybe get a message saying there is a contract that seems wrong?

Do we have any idea when fantrax updates their caps? And the question would be what happens to the manually edited players if there is a discrepancy between what you put in and what fantrax wants it to be?

Say for example you accidentally changed a contract to 4mil but it shoulda been 3mil. Does fantrax fix that or do you maybe get a message saying there is a contract that seems wrong?

No idea.

Agree with the general consensus in that (a) I'll support whichever option you choose, but (b) if you are looking for opinions, using the base salaries would be hella-easier.

I also had a few questions about enforcement of the cap. Is every team responsible for self-reporting their cap hits? What happens if somebody doesn't do that? Let's say a team is $2M under the cap, but we realize halfway through the season that they are rostering a player listed at $1M in Fantrax, but who actually has a $5M cap hit. What happens? That example could involve getting mad at the person for not checking, but what if they did check a cap site and both the site and Fantrax were wrong? What are the repercussions? Also, what happens if a team trades a $2M cap hit player for a $6M cap hit player halfway through the season, which puts them over the cap? Who is policing that? Also, would there be a pro-rated cap for a half-season of these players, or simply the full cap hit?

This is something we really need to discuss in the coming days and have sorted out well before the season starts.

We may need a 2 or 3 man "cap police" to peruse the teams at some point just to make sure cap hits are correct.

Back