• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs sign Semin.... 1 [email protected] mil

At $1.1M it's worth the gamble that he'll be kept in line. You forget Markov is on the Habs and is highly respected among Russian players. If he doesn't work out he can get sent down. If he is sent down he would only be $200K on the cap as you get a $900K savings when you send a player down.

I'm not crazy about Semin but he does have the most offensive upside of what is left out there.

+1

We have a tough but fair coach, and numerous, established strong character players that make for a strong and healthy dressing room vibe (as mentioned not only by present Habs, but also by recently departed players like Gionta, Gorges, etc...).

Plus the aspect of having Markov (and Emelin and Galchenyuk) speaking Russian, and the welcoming phone talk with Markov, will very likely help Semin feel much more comfortable, and perhaps motivated, to do well and play with more consistency and effort.

I think the Markov respect/aspect should not be underestimated.

Anyways, Cheers and good luck to the Canes, I live in SC and get up there once in a while.

Montreal has enough of a veteran presence and strong leadership behind the bench to makes this a low risk/high reward play. It isn't like Semin is a vocal guy, so his only contribution or lack there of this season will be strictly on the ice. On the ice he has the potential to score 30 goals or struggle to score 10. If its the former, Montreal gets a absolute steal for 1 season. If its the latter and he's completely terrible out there, they can waive him and bury him in the minors. At that $1.1 million one year salary, no harm done.

This is a perfect risk for a strong team like Montreal that had a hard time scoring goals last year (20th in the league) to take. I'm not even sure the word 'risk' is the right way to describe this signing since the dollars are so low and the term is only 1 year. They are not really risking anything considering their financial clout and considering if it goes south quickly they just pull the plug and waive Semin.

So Viktor Tikhonov is a Russian forward free agent who signed a 1-year deal for just over $1 million with the Blackhawks. That drew a big fat meh from everybody. Or, for more perspective, Riley Nash signed a 1-year deal for just over $1 million with the 'Canes. That drew a big fat meh from everybody but 'Canes fans who rolled their eyes and said SSDD. The bar's pretty low for this contract.

Best part about this signing, is where he went- Montreal. If Semin so much dangles a puck too long, looks like he's loafing or is seen with a cigarette, the press will nail him. That's the added bonus of seeing him in a rabid Canadian hockey market.
Semin will have an awesome year, he'll tempt some GM somewhere and he'll revert to his inconsistent ways.

Anyone see the quote from Semin's agent? "Peters didn't understand Sascha's game." No, Peters didn't appreciate poorly conditioned, poorly motivated players.

Anyone see the quote from Semin's agent? "Peters didn't understand Sascha's game." No, Peters didn't appreciate poorly conditioned, poorly motivated players.

Translation: "Semin refused to buy into the system Peters put in place, so he played like crap in hopes of a buyout."

Funny that people assume he will have a good year. The team is better but not may not mean much.

I'm not sure it is an assumption as much as a prediction. We saw his "game." When he was not actively courted to re-sign with the Caps and was floating around, Semin signed that one year deal and came in motivated and in condition, wanting to prove something and get a contract. Once again, he's on his redemption tour.

I agree with PSH, no matter what, this team is better without him.

I'm not sure it is an assumption as much as a prediction. We saw his "game." When he was not actively courted to re-sign with the Caps and was floating around, Semin signed that one year deal and came in motivated and in condition, wanting to prove something and get a contract. Once again, he's on his redemption tour.

I agree with PSH, no matter what, this team is better without him.

Look, I'm predicting he'll do just that. He's still young enough to have a great season, and he's playing for redemption now after a year in the league where he was easily the LEAST cost effective player in the entire leageue. I wouldn't at all be surprised that he puts up over 30 goals and big points with the Habs.

What will really be interesting is what he and the organization does AFTER one season where he performs, cause, you just know he WILL. I hope he gets another year offer, is insulted, HABS stick to their guns and he ends up retiring or in the KHL

Regardless of your feelings about Semin, the deal with the Habs is ZERO risk for them. $1.1 M is likely a bargain but if he doesn't produce you send him to minors and save most of it. No downside at all for Montreal. That said the Habs do need some more grit and sandpaper on the team and Semin just adds to the soft rep up there.

Regardless of your feelings about Semin, the deal with the Habs is ZERO risk for them. $1.1 M is likely a bargain but if he doesn't produce you send him to minors and save most of it. No downside at all for Montreal. That said the Habs do need some more grit and sandpaper on the team and Semin just adds to the soft rep up there.

At 1.1M pocket change, it's pretty much a moot point, so this is a nit, but sending an NHL (1-way) contract to the minors does not save that money, he still gets paid. But yeah, easy call for that team to make that signing.

Look, I'm predicting he'll do just that. He's still young enough to have a great season, and he's playing for redemption now after a year in the league where he was easily the LEAST cost effective player in the entire leageue. I wouldn't at all be surprised that he puts up over 30 goals and big points with the Habs.

What will really be interesting is what he and the organization does AFTER one season where he performs, cause, you just know he WILL. I hope he gets another year offer, is insulted, HABS stick to their guns and he ends up retiring or in the KHL

The show-me contract is always the easy one, the long term deal next is always the clincher! So expect 25-30 goals easy as a Hab...then Semin and his agent will want $5 million plus a year on a long term deal...we have watched this program before...wash, rinse, repeat!

Perhaps you've missed some of the moves the Habs have made, there is plenty of grit and sandpaper on the roster with Zack Kassian, Smith-Pelley, Mitchell, Weise, De la Rose, Emelin, Pateryn.

I too am concerned what happens when Semin chooses to decide on playing and pots 25-30 goals. He's the type of player that needs to be on consecutive one year deals.

Perhaps you've missed some of the moves the Habs have made, there is plenty of grit and sandpaper on the roster with Zack Kassian, Smith-Pelley, Mitchell, Weise, De la Rose, Emelin, Pateryn.

Subban and Petry definitely don't play soft.

Damn you, James...I was hoping to make it through the entire summer without having to hear the voice of Jack Edwards!

Damn you, James...I was hoping to make it through the entire summer without having to hear the voice of Jack Edwards!

lol then you have my sincerest.

It was a toss up between two different clips of that incident. Guess I picked the wrong one :)

I'm curious, anybody know without looking it up, who was the HABS player who bumped off the 'injured' Kovalev and lost the puck to Murray? He had number 44... keep thinking, was this during Stephane Richer's comeback attempt or is that somebody else that fails to come to mind.

Back