• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2015-16 Champions League

For City, the bigger issue may be that Kompany limped off injured in the 10th minute.

Kind of. It's a little late for it to mean too much. He's missed two big chunks of the season already, which illuminates the real problem ... that they are absolutely clueless in the back without him bossing the troops.

Kind of. It's a little late for it to mean too much. He's missed two big chunks of the season already, which illuminates the real problem ... that they are absolutely clueless in the back without him bossing the troops.

Their match against Arsenal on Sunday is a de facto playoff match for 3rd place. They're behind by 3 points but ahead on GD. They're also only 4 points clear of Man U who have a game in hand. City finish at Swansea. Man U are at Norwich on Saturday, at West Ham on Tuesday and Bournemouth at OT next Sunday. West Ham is still in the mix too, 1 point behind Man U with matches against Swansea and at Stoke in addition to the Man U match.

The Europa League final is set.

Liverpool 3-0 Villareal - Liverpool advance 3-1 aggregate
Sevilla 3-1 Shakhtar - Sevilla advance 5-3 aggretate

The final is May 18 in Basel. The winner gets a spot directly in the Champions League group stage. This is Sevilla's 3rd straight Europa League final, having won the previous 2, beating Benfica on penalties in 2014 and Dnipro 3-2 last year.

The final will be Liverpool's 3rd match in 8 days. They host Chelsea on 5/11 and close the league season at West Brom on 5/15. Winning the Europa League is their only chance of getting back into the UCL, so I suspect we'll see a bunch of U-21s on the last league day.

Sevilla beat Liverpool in the Europa League final, 3-1 for their 3rd consecutive championship. This one gets them into the Champions League Group Stage though. They didn't qualify for either European tournament from La Liga, after finishing 7th. With the loss and the 8th place Premier League finish, Liverpool won't be playing in Europe next season.

The win gives the city of Madrid their 11th European championship, breaking the tie with Milan. That it came in Milan is that more distressing to the AC Milan and Inter fans, whose teams haven't been relevant for several years.

Does everyone else hate penalty shootouts as much as I do? Just the worst way to end the biggest competitions.

You mean do I hate when the outcome of a team sporting event is decided by an individual skills competition? Why yes, yes I do.

Totally....... just isn't a better way that anybody has been able to make work. Ideally you would replay but that just doesn't seem to be a practical approach given the schedules.

I'd say for a CL final, you actually could replay since it's held after the club seasons are done for the most part. But the TV schedules and the logistics would be a mess to figure out. In tournament settings it really isn't an option at all, which is a shame because to me shootouts at international tournaments like the Olympics and World Cup are the most tragic of all.

Last edited:
You mean do I hate when the outcome of a team sporting event is decided by an individual skills competition? Why yes, yes I do.

I'd say for a CL final, you actually could replay since it's held after the club seasons are done for the most part. But the TV schedules and the logistics would be a mess to figure out. In tournament settings it really isn't an option at all, which is a shame because to me shootouts at international tournaments like the Olympics and World Cup are the most tragic of all.

Adding to the problem with replays is that every other year there is a major competition in the summer, either a continental Championship or the World Cup. Copa America starts a week after the CL final, Euros start the week after on the 10th.

Group Stage, Match Day 1:

Tuesday:
Basel v. Ludogorets
PSG v. Arsenal
Befica v. Besiktas
Dynamo Kiev v. Napoli
Barcelona v. Celtic
Man City v. Borussia Monchengladbach
Bayern Munich v. Rostov
PSV Eindhoven v. Atletico Madrid

Wednesday:
Bayer Leverkusen v. CSKA Moscow
Spurs v. Monaco
Legia Warsaw v. Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid v. Sporting Lisbon
Brugge v. Leicester City
Porto v. Copenhagen
Juventus v. Sevilla
Lyon v. Dinamo Zagreb

Ugh. That went about as expected and it still hurt.

Barca 7 Celtic 0
Hat trick for Messi, brace for Neymar, total domination all over. It sure as heck didn't help that the Old Firm match was just a couple of days before. The bhoys looked spent 5 minutes in.

Ugh. That went about as expected and it still hurt.

Barca 7 Celtic 0
Hat trick for Messi, brace for Neymar, total domination all over. It sure as heck didn't help that the Old Firm match was just a couple of days before. The bhoys looked spent 5 minutes in.

And Barca lost at home in the league over the weekend. I'm sure they had a collective bee in their bonnets

And the rest:

Basel 1-1 Ludogorets
PSG 1-1 Arsenal
Benfica 1-1 Besiktas
Dynamo Kiev 1-2 Napoli
Bayern Munich 5-0 Rostov
PSV Eindhoven 0-1 Atletico Madrid

Man City/Borussia Monchengladbach was postponed until Wednesday. Heavy rain saturated the pitch at the Etihad while a suburb of Manchester reported about 1-1/4 inches of rain in an hour.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37356292

Last edited:
Results from 9/14

Man City 4 Borussia Monchengladbach 0 (I'm gonna stick to Gladbach from here out)

Real Madrid 2 Sporting Lisbon 1 ... Real had to come from behind
Juventus 0 Sevilla 0
Monaco 2 Spurs 1
Leicester 3 Brugge 0 ... and by all accounts they swamped the old town of Brugge with blue shirts.
Porto 1 Copenhagen 1
Lyon 3 Dynamo Zagreb 0
CSKA 2 Leverkusen 2
Dortmund 6 Legia Warsaw 0 ... CL start for American Christian Pulisic ... at age 17. Got it on DVR for later.

Match Day 2:

Tuesday:
CSKA Moscow v. Spurs
Monaco v. Bayer Leverkusen
Borussia Dortmund v. Real Madrid
Sporting Lisbon v. Legia Warsaw
Copenhagen v. Brugge
Leicester v. Porto
Dinamo Zagreb v. Juventus
Sevilla v. Lyon

Wednesday:
Arsenal v. Basel
Ludogorets Razgrad v. PSG
Besiktas v. Dynamo Kiev
Napoli v. Benfica
Borussia M'gladbach v. Barcelona
Celtic v. Man City
Atletico Madrid v. Bayern Munich
Rostov v. Eindhoven

Celtic v. Man City

The beatings will continue until discipline improves ... or something like that. Under Pep, City have seemingly lost the nerves they showed under pressure in previous regimes so this is probably another whoopin' for the Bhoys. Of note, Celtic do have two former Citizens (Sinclair and Kolo Toure) and one loanee (Patrick Roberts) on the squad who will be keen to show their old club a trick or two ... not that they will actually be able to do that or anything.

I just noticed that the last 6 posts are on the 2015-16 thread. Can a mod or admin move them to this year's thread?

Back