• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Brandon Sutter - A Canuck

I think the Pens fleeced the Canucks. Sutter will be a UFA after the season. The Pens essentially replaced him with Bonino, about the same age, less salary and more productive (Sutter .37 PPG, Bonino .45 PPG) and got a 22 year old dman and a higher pick than they gave up. Bonino also kills penalties and averaged about 20 seconds less PK time than Sutter. The Pens also signed Eric Fehr to a 3 year/$6 million contract, so for pnly $600K more than they were paying Sutter, they got 2 guys.

Could have sworn that Rutherford was quoted just recently saying "we are not trading Brandon Sutter"....I dunno,I think he'll do well in Vancouver and he seemed to be getting bigger and stronger as he matured.

I think the Pens fleeced the Canucks.

I agree with you. The Pens were going to have a hard time retaining Brandon Sutter who is going to be looking for probably $4-5 million per on a minimum on a 5 year deal. The Pens get a younger player of similar offensive skill back (not as good defensively), along with a DMan and a higher draft pick. All for a guy who was probably not going to be affordable for the Pens next year.

Vancouver of course gets a least one year of what I expect to be the best Sutter has to offer as he plays for a big UFA contract. The Canucks might win this one just for this next season, but JR did well for the Pens both in the short and longer terms.

How many players get traded by the same GM twice from different teams? Sutter must be wondering what he did to tick off JR in this life and the next.

I think the Pens fleeced the Canucks. Sutter will be a UFA after the season. The Pens essentially replaced him with Bonino, about the same age, less salary and more productive (Sutter .37 PPG, Bonino .45 PPG) and got a 22 year old dman and a higher pick than they gave up. Bonino also kills penalties and averaged about 20 seconds less PK time than Sutter. The Pens also signed Eric Fehr to a 3 year/$6 million contract, so for pnly $600K more than they were paying Sutter, they got 2 guys.

100% agree. The Pens got great return here AND freed up money to sign Fehr in another move today. Sutter needs to be a 2nd line center at this point in his career and he wasn't going to be that in Pittsburgh. He also was not a good fit in Pittsburgh for the 3rd one role as his possesion metrics were horrid, he wasn't physical enough, and he was on the ice for most of the Rangers goals this past playoffs.

Sutter may do very well in an expanded role in Vancouver but the Pens are a much deeper and better team today.

Back