• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs sign Alex Galchenyuk to two-year, $5.6M deal

I hate the New England Patriots because of their arrogance and everything they stand for. I also hate Montreal's football "fans" who jump off every bandwagon & cheer for whichever team is hot - I never saw so many Seahawks fans until last year & I could have swore those same people were cheering for both teams during the Superbowl, gutless pukes.

However, I have great admiration for how they build teams and how they cut players right as they're about to decline.

I bring them up because if we applied Sal's theory on the Patriots, they would have traded Tom Brady years ago. He's a declining asset, he's only got a few more years left in him and you have to get the most you can from the asset.

Problem is, and the Pats know this very well, you can't simply just find another Tom Brady off the scrapheap. They've gotten rid of every other position players because those can be found with relative ease. Elite QBs, though?
Football & MLB drafts are unlike hockey. In the NHL u wanna get top end talent need to pick top-10, and likely top-5, the only way to land such picks is by trading top end players, there'll always be a desperate team that has orders to go for it now, especially in the U.S. markets. Thus the ability to replenish prospect asset depth is available yearly.

Tom Brady was not a 1st round pick, 6th round compensation pick, most of the "great QBs, or pitchers, or catchers" have not been 1st round selections in their respective leagues.

Most top end NHL talent historically, has been 1st round, and top third at that.

Last edited:
Which is why Bergevin should have played hardball with mediocrities like DD and Emelin instead of doing it with PK.
3.5 million for 50 points is not overpaid in any way, shape or form.

Emelin needs to be moved.

But overall we have everyone signed and 3 million in space. Cap management hasnt been a huge issue in Montreal under Bergevin.

Our cap does not prevent us from making additions in season.

A couple of things:

Trading an elite player for a top 3 pick is almost impossible. A team going for it all is not finishing in the bottom of the standings.

Brady is an exception. As the NFL is now a QB centred league most of the good ones (and many bad ones) are picked in the first round. There are exceptions but they're usually deemed project types or gambles like Russell Wilson (deemed too short)

Having said all that, I agree with you that the PK bridge contract "fiasco" is overblown. You can make a sound fiscal argument either way. And as you said the Habs locked in PK during his prime at a set cost.

Also, you can't compare NHL talent pools with MLB or NFL. In those leagues, stars are routinely drafted at all rounds. And in MLB you don't even have a to draft international studs like Vlad Guerrero.

Last edited:
And then you've got the Cowboys who stubbornly hang on to Romo, the DD of the NFL, because their owner can't bring himself to admit that he made a mistake in drafting him in the first place.

1) Both are undrafted
2) DD will never get MVP considerations like Romo has

Football & MLB drafts are unlike hockey. In the NHL u wanna get top end talent need to pick top-10, and likely top-5, the only way to land such picks is by trading top end players, there'll always be a desperate team that has orders to go for it now, especially in the U.S. markets. Thus the ability to replenish prospect asset depth is available yearly.

Name me one example of a team trading a top-5 pick for a 30 year old player.

I'll wait.

Boston traded a 21 year old Phil Kessel for two firsts & a second, but Toronto had no idea they were going to become lottery picks.

Would I love to have Subban signed for 5-6 millions right now? You bet! Would I like to see him become UFA in 2-3 years? Hell no!

Name me one example of a team trading a top-5 pick for a 30 year old player.

I'll wait.

Boston traded a 21 year old Phil Kessel for two firsts & a second, but Toronto had no idea they were going to become lottery picks.

30-year-old not quite... but I remember Milbury trading the #2 overall pick + zdeno chara for a 28-year-old Alexei Yashin.

That said, this is the only deal I can think of, and its a major reason why Mike Milbury is seen as the worst GM in NHL history.

I hate the New England Patriots because of their arrogance and everything they stand for. I also hate Montreal's football "fans" who jump off every bandwagon & cheer for whichever team is hot - I never saw so many Seahawks fans until last year & I could have swore those same people were cheering for both teams during the Superbowl, gutless pukes.

However, I have great admiration for how they build teams and how they cut players right as they're about to decline.

I bring them up because if we applied Sal's theory on the Patriots, they would have traded Tom Brady years ago. He's a declining asset, he's only got a few more years left in him and you have to get the most you can from the asset.

Problem is, and the Pats know this very well, you can't simply just find another Tom Brady off the scrapheap. They've gotten rid of every other position players because those can be found with relative ease. Elite QBs, though?

NFL is a bad comparison with the NHL. Contracts arent fully guaranteed , free agency is a bonanza for all teams , draft picks are instant starters and play key roles , etc...

Back to the Pats , they are not moving Brady they move Seymour and dump Wilford ( while still close to elite ) before another major extension is due and you dont have cap issues like the moronic Skins who make one blunder after the other. So before their major decline its see ya.

You dont have this flexibility in hockey and simply you have to make the tough decisions and not be married to your players . Every team has 10 mil or more in questionable contracts and now with the inability to bury their entire cap in the minors its much harder to get it right .

The key is knowing where you sit in the league hierarchy and when its time to start making moves . Calgary`s window was over 2-3 years before they moved Iggy should they have made the move sooner ?

Are the Canucks ever going past round 1 with this roster and are they simply patching to stay middle of the pack ?

30-year-old not quite... but I remember Milbury trading the #2 overall pick + zdeno chara for a 28-year-old Alexei Yashin.

That said, this is the only deal I can think of, and its a major reason why Mike Milbury is seen as the worst GM in NHL history.

Kurvers was 27 when the Laffs made that blunder and didnt Pollock fleece a team for LaFleur?

Same could be said about Steelers Saints Chargers etc after years of Carter Stoerner Testaverde Bledsoe et al Romo is a godsend.

Well the Cowboys took a page out of the Habs' playbook when it comes to lowering fan expectations. In another era Cowboys fan wouldn't tolerate someone like Romo as their starting QB but compared to those others you mentioned he doesn't appear half bad. And DD is certainly an upgrade on the Radek Bonks, Chad Kilgers and Craig Darby's of years past but that doesn't mean he's any good.

Tom Brady was not a 1st round pick, 6th round compensation pick, most of the "great QBs, or pitchers, or catchers" have not been 1st round selections in their respective leagues.

Most top end NHL talent historically, has been 1st round, and top third at that.

Knowing when to cash in your chips like Buffalo did with Vanek , Miller , etc.... starts your ascension up the standings sooner with Eichel , Reinhart and others .

Would I love to have Subban signed for 5-6 millions right now? You bet! Would I like to see him become UFA in 2-3 years? Hell no!

Then we re-sign him before he becomes a UFA, the same way Anaheim re-signed Getzlaf & Perry a year before they became UFAs.

Kurvers was 27 when the Laffs made that blunder and didnt Pollock fleece a team for LaFleur?
Leafs didnt know it was going to be the third overall pick when the trade was made.

When pollock made the deal the draft was new and teams didn't understand the importance yet.

Still we are going back 25 years on that deal and 45 on lafleur...

This just goes to show it doesn't happen often today.

No, you can have $8M+ caphit on 32 year old players if they continue to be successful & play well as long as you have cheap depth surrounding them. Anaheim has Getzlaf & Perry signed at $8.25M & $8.5M respectively and they've been very successful. Part because those two are still elite players (that can't simply be replaced even if you do trade them) and are surrounded by cheap & effective depth like Vatanen, Fowler & Cogliano.

You can't just trade away players like Getzlaf & Perry because it's nigh-impossible to replace them. Anaheim would need lottery picks to replace them because outside of there, there aren't big franchise centers/power forwards available. Not to mention Anaheim is a serious Cup contender, you can't just trade those two away because they're starting to get old. If seeing Perry & Getzlaf decline & being overpaid when they're 34+ years old is the price I have to pay to be a perennial contender while they're 29-33, I'll live with it.

Good points but not sure they will be perenial contenders 2 years from now and with their overpayment to keep a 45-50 point Kessler til he is 36 .

They'll worry about that two years from now. Right now, they're up there with LA, St. Louis and Chicago as the best teams in the west.

Leafs didnt know it was going to be the third overall pick when the trade was made.

When pollock made the deal the draft was new and teams didn't understand the importance yet.

Still we are going back 25 years on that deal and 45 on lafleur...

This just goes to show it doesn't happen often today.

yup and how much time flies , I remember my Leaf buddy`s laughing at us hab fans when they thought Kurvers was great and at best they were giving up a mid first rounder :smilewinkgrin:

Back