• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

News Thread for the 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klinsmann might bite if there's an offer, so long as it comes after the US/Mexico tilt on the 10th. Not saying he should be Plan A, but he'd be a solid Plan B.

From Peter Berlin at si.com regarding Rodgers:

Maybe the Fenway Sports Group, could move Rodgers to the Boston Red Sox. If he could turn that club into a .500 team, which is what he has done with Liverpool, it would be progress.

You think Sunderland give Rodgers a call just to see if he would be interested?

I would. But I don't know if Rodgers would take the call. He has to decide if he thinks he's going to get a better offer. With 30 matches left though, he'd probably be blamed if Sunderland are relegated though.

Klopp is official.

Liverpool Football Club are delighted to announce Jürgen Klopp has been appointed as the club's new manager.

The German coach has signed a deal to take the helm at the Reds and will be presented at a press conference at Anfield on Friday morning.

Jurgen Klopp for the Kop

I'll admit, I was one of the last off the Brendan Rogers bandwagon, but I'm quite excited that Klopp has signed on to take over. Here's hoping he can duplicate his success at Dortmund.

Klopp is official.

Jurgen Klopp for the Kop

I'll admit, I was one of the last off the Brendan Rogers bandwagon, but I'm quite excited that Klopp has signed on to take over. Here's hoping he can duplicate his success at Dortmund.

Klopp's kind of the anti-Brodg. He say exactly what's on his mind and will actually be honest answering questions. Even stupid ones. The Brodg was all about his own image at the end of the day. And it turned out to be mostly empty suit. Klopp, not so much. Now to see if the squad buys in and if they suit his pressing style.

Puts some serious pressure on Sturridge to stay in the lineup. There's no real safety net underneath him and Benteke now.

Former Arsenal and Manchester City midfielder Patrick Vieira has been appointed as head coach of Major League Soccer club New York City.

Vieira, 39, leaves his role as head coach of Manchester City's Under-21s after signing a three-year contract with New York.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34768961

Interesting that he went this route. There was some talk he might end up at Arsenal shadowing Wenger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34768961

Interesting that he went this route. There was some talk he might end up at Arsenal shadowing Wenger.

Yeah, but Viera's been in the Man City family coaching at various levels since he retired, right? Seems a natural fit to let him boss what amounts to the MLS farm club for awhile to continue cutting his teeth. Tell ya what too ... MLS may not have the greatest talent level in the world, but the level of coaching is pretty good overall. That's better experience than coaching the reserve squad for City.

Aside from Thierry Henry, Wenger really hasn't brought any of his guys back into the coaching ranks. Vieira went right from the field to the City front office for 2 years before taking over the reserve squad in 2013. For MLS fans, it's a double edged sword though. While it increases the star quality in the league, it does nothing to diminish the perception that NYCFC is nothing but a farm team for Man City. That perception will only increase if, as speculated, he brings in some of the Man City U21s on loan.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...-nycfc-manager-manchester-city-football-group

Well, to be fair, Wenger is more of an executive manager than some. So his staff tends to be made up of veteran coaches who have proven themselves. Not a lot of room in that setup for the apprentice.

Also, at least for right now, the perception that NYCFC is a farm club for City really does no harm to the brand. Heck, it would have HELPED if Chivas LA had actually been a farm club of the Mexican club. Quality is what matters and the Man City bosses have made it clear that they want to win in NY.

Well, to be fair, Wenger is more of an executive manager than some. So his staff tends to be made up of veteran coaches who have proven themselves. Not a lot of room in that setup for the apprentice.

Also, at least for right now, the perception that NYCFC is a farm club for City really does no harm to the brand. Heck, it would have HELPED if Chivas LA had actually been a farm club of the Mexican club. Quality is what matters and the Man City bosses have made it clear that they want to win in NY.

It depends on whose brand. The NYCFC brand is diminished if they become a de facto farm team for Man City. If I'm an unaffiliated fan in metro New York, would I rather see a stream of U21s going back and forth to Manchester for a year or 2 or a team built from the ground up with some concept of continuity? The whole Lampard fiasco earlier this year was a problem, where it turned out that his contract wasn't with NYCFC as originally stated. If treated in the same fashion, this could exacerbate that. But to Man City and the City Football Group, this is a hiccup.

Yeah, but that's not how they're running that franchise, now is it? Instead they've mixed in the developing guys with name brand veterans like Lampard and Pirlo ... even Mix Diskerud. Guys who won't play primary roles in the EPL, sure ... but household names that have excited the fan base none the less. So long as City continue to invest in names like that, they won't gather up the stench of the AA farm team ... and they should continue to be competitive in MLS, which is all that REALLY matters anyway. They are already out-stripping Red Bull in therms of buzz in their home town, and have only just got going.

But as usual ... I'm ever the pragmatist. Yeah, the Lampard thing was a short term hiccup. But I don't see that as a longer term issue given the investment level that CFG put into the team. Now they've moved their most promising coaching prospect in. I mean ... would it have been better if they had hired a recycled MLS coach that nobody really cares about? I think not. It's another name that fans will be familiar with as their support continues to build.

Last edited:
Former Manchester United and England defender Gary Neville has been named as Valencia's head coach until the end of the season.

The 40-year-old, who will take charge officially on Sunday, will remain part of the England coaching set-up.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34985168

Interesting choice and a good opportunity for Gary Neville.

Sucks he is leaving Sky Sports though, will miss listening to him on MNF and doing commentry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back