• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer Thread

I can buy that, but a lot the German kids who don't have an immigrant background are much better too.

The team in the late 90s was crap.

It was, lost to Croatia 0-3 in QF! That says a lot, it was the end of the career for many 90 and 94 stars such as Klinsmann, Matthaus, etc.

Last edited:
Germans didn't feel proud of their 2nd place in 2002 WC, they know 2002 was a pure crap with poor refereeing in favor of South Korea, lucky draw for Germans until final.

They have not evolved, and are still playing Jacques Lemaire-style soccer just like the Habs

A lot of teams do that in today's football. That wasn't the issue, Sweden did in home and away, Jose doing this in his whole career as coach and managed to win few trophies by parking the bus. That wasn't the issue for Italy. The issue was 1)Players selections 2) Wrong strategy.

Italy actually had over %70 possession. Something that doesn't happen often.

A country with Italy’s history should never have made it to the relegation/playoff rounds to qualify....total failure,

Well, they drew Spain which is very unlucky. There was no way they were going to win that qualifying group.

I still think Spain will be the crocodile in the weeds at the WC. They seem to be getting the Rodney Dangerfield treatment, I think it's crazy.

A country with Italy’s history should never have made it to the relegation/playoff rounds to qualify....total failure, but nothing surprising when you witness the downfall of the country’s club game...an afterthought when compared to other leagues (outside of Juventus)

They have not evolved, and are still playing Jacques Lemaire-style soccer just like the Habs
The fact up to 5 players from the 2006 champions are now retiring tells you why they didn't get through. Stuck with same guys too long.

Nah, there are plenty of people who know what's what.

But I'll say... too soon to choose. We need to see the draw.

There is a difference, you know the stuff, they just read it online and regurgitate.

BTW, take the compliment, rarely are they given out on webboards, take all you can.

Official LCS priors, based on current info. Subject to radical change without any coherent rationale.

Teams with at least 5% chance of winning:

France: 25%
Germany: 20%
Brazil: 20%
Spain: 15%
Argentina: 10%
Belgium: 5%
Everyone else: 5%

Likely troublemakers: Poland, Portugal, Croatia, Mexico, Colombia and Ingerland

Last edited:
I think Argentina will gel just in time to go far.....very under the radar....the new coach will have had time to implement the system.

Of course, I always root for Germany...and on paper, how can they not be the favorites ???

I think Argentina will gel just in time to go far.....very under the radar....the new coach will have had time to implement the system.

Of course, I always root for Germany...and on paper, how can they not be the favorites ???

If Germany makes the final, I hope it is in Moscow or Volgograd.

Back