• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer Thread

Euro 2016 - Round of 16

Switzerland2.gif
vs.
Poland2.gif

Croatia2.gif
vs.
Portugal2.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wales.gif
vs.
NorthernIreland.gif

Hungary.gif
vs.
Belgium.gif

Euro 2016 - Round of 16

Germany2.gif
vs.
Slovakia2.gif

Italy2.gif
vs.
Spain2.gif

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

France2.gif
vs.
Ireland2.gif

eng.gif
vs.
Iceland.gif

England and Wales have pretty easy 1/8 round games.

How many times before next Sunday will we have to hear about Henry's hand ball goal from seven years ago?

I think Iceland will give England all they can handle. I'd love to see them pull off the upset just to watch England fan implode.

Overall has been a poor quality Euro so far, i understand they try to get weaker and 2nd and 3rd rated European nations involved in such a competition but that results to much more low scoring games and weaker teams park the bus simply. These days almost everyone learnt how to play decent defensive game(only an idiot coach like Klinsmann vs Argentina in Copa America was exception).

The format of Euro is a bit fcuked up. So 16/24 nations qualify for next round, you make it with only one win! Seriously?

Now there is talk to increase number of teams in WC to 40. lol

The fact is the gap between nations is not as it used to be and that is everywhere around the world. Football globalized all around the planet. Teams hire decent coaches and invest in game. Back to 15-20 years a go you would see very often, stronger nations trash weaker ones, not anymore. Yes it happens occasionally 4-0. 5-0, 6-0 results but way way less than what it used to be.

I saw some Asian teams trash weaker one 19-0 in late 90s, few years a go they played against same team and they barely won the game 2-0.

That is what Iran tried to with Argentina in 2014 WC

Not really against ARG, let me give you a small introduction about Iran team. Carlos Queiroz is in charge of Team-Melli(National Team) since 2011 and he has done a wonderful job, people blame him because of his defensive system but that is long story... Long story short when he took over we had no European base players and he had to bring two Iranian kids who were born in Holland and Germany and convince them to play for national team(Dejagah and Goochannejhad).

In case of Dejagah it wasn't easy, he played with German national team from u-17 to u-23 and played with like Ozil, Boateng, Khedira and if it wasn't because of German golden generation he could easy make it to German National team, but he decided to play for Iran finally.
Now Queiroz has been in charge for 5 years, we have good core of young players, few european base legionnaires.

Now back to the game against ARG, if you look at the game Iran had few scoring chances and was denied a PK by ref. Actually we could have win the game because all spaces was limited and it took a shot by exceptional player like Messi from outside the box in 90 minutes to win the game for ARG. We were very fast in counter-attacks.

In first game against Nigeria, well you can't open the game, you need to get a point at least in a 3 games tournaments otherwise you are done.
In last game vs Bosnia we were simply out of gas, team wasn't built to play such a high tempo tournament, a game each 3 days. Plus we needed to beat them and we played open match and paid the price. Iran beat same Bosnia few times in friendlies in past.

Here is game highlight(Iran-ARG), one of the most memorial performance i saw from Iran national team since 1998 WC

[video=youtube;rPOn9W8X26E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPOn9W8X26E[/video]

Last edited:
As a guy who was born in Iran I find it interesting that you guys are talking Team Melli. Wasn't expecting that to be the topic when I opened the thread.

I can't remember much about the Argentine game but I can tell you this, Team Melli has a chronic issue of trying to lock it down when they go against similar to better competition. This is true especially if they are up a goal (which wasn't the case here of course). The problem is that the team simply has never had world class defenders necessary to play such a style. They have had forward who could score the odd goal though.

Having said that, as much as I hate the way the team plays in these circumstances, I can't blame them doing so against teams like Argentina or Germany. You open up and can suddenly find yourself down and out in a matter of minutes.

As a guy who was born in Iran I find it interesting that you guys are talking Team Melli. Wasn't expecting that to be the topic when I opened the thread.

I can't remember much about the Argentine game but I can tell you this, Team Melli has a chronic issue of trying to lock it down when they go against similar to better competition. This is true especially if they are up a goal (which wasn't the case here of course). The problem is that the team simply has never had world class defenders necessary to play such a style. They have had forward who could score the odd goal though.

Having said that, as much as I hate the way the team plays in these circumstances, I can't blame them doing so against teams like Argentina or Germany. You open up and can suddenly find yourself down and out in a matter of minutes.

Hey man, good to have you here, why you are a Leafs fan btw? lol

Yes indeed, TM play always better against stronger sides, we some how struggle against weaker opponents.

Hey man, good to have you here, why you are a Leafs fan btw? lol

Haha thanks. Yeah I've been posting with fellow Leafs fans since fanhome(a couple of boards before we all moved to FI)

Why am I a Leafs fan? Well Leafs are the greatest of course;) but also because I moved to Toronto when I immigrated. Watched my first hockey game with Mats Sundin and co in the 90's and fell in love with the game and the team.

Back