• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer Thread

I don't think FIFA will give automatic qualification to all 3 countries in a 3 way joint bid.

Doesn't really matter here in Canada....most soccer fans are considered from immigrant background, and root for their parents' countries instead of Canada

I don't think FIFA will give automatic qualification to all 3 countries in a 3 way joint bid.

They would if it had 48 countries.

And even with 32 it's not so bad. The US and Mexico are locks to qualify every time (well, whoops, usually) - so it's really just Canada getting a free pass. It really doesn't alter the calculus for the other confederations that much since the tournament is 31+1 - their quotas might change at the margins. Maybe it's Honduras that gets screwed.

But what FIFA will not do is put all three countries in the seeded pot (sounds profane) when it's time to create the groups. It would be chaos - three groups of death at least, probably four.

France qualifies

In spite of themselves.

They'll either stumble their way into the final, with flashes of utter brilliance, or crash out in humiliating fashion beset by maelstrom hissy fits, fist fights and maybe even a sex video scandal.

But they have gobs of talent. On paper they are at least 3rd favourites, maybe # 2.

Pot #1 for the WC already set:

Russia (by far the worst), Germany, France, Poland (!), Portugal, Belgium, Brazil, and Argie-Bargie.

Spain and Italy (if they qualify) are in pot 2.

I don't think they ever allow 3 countries from UEFA into the same group, so a potential group of death is Brazil, Spain, Croatia, and Nigeria.

On the other hand, a group like Russia, Spain, Japan and Panama would be super hilarious for the Spanish.

So?

How can other countries improve if they are constantly excluded? We'll just wind up watching the Euro and Copa America.

And remember, 3 CONCACAF team advanced in 2014, so I don't think your premise is entirely accurate.

You see always some new nations, that is not a problem, also WC is not the only way to promote the sport, Egypt didn't make it in last 28 years but they are constantly the contender for CAN. Probably one of the strongest African teams in level of talents in last 7-8 years. same applies in Europe with euro and in Asia with Asian Cup.

and how many times 3 concacaf team advanced in last 4-5 WC? It was pretty much always Mexico and occasionally US.

You see always some new nations, that is not a problem, also WC is not the only way to promote the sport, Egypt didn't make it in last 28 years but they are constantly the contender for CAN. Probably one of the strongest African teams in level of talents in last 7-8 years. same applies in Europe with euro and in Asia with Asian Cup.

and how many times 3 concacaf team advanced in last 4-5 WC? It was pretty much always Mexico and occasionally US.

Meh.

I think its great. Whine all you want, you're still going to watch it.

2014- 3/4 concacaf teams advance to knockout stage
2/5 african teams
0/4 asian teams

2010 - 2/3 concacaf
1/6 africa
2/4 asia

2006 - 1/4 concaf
0/4 asia.... 1 ocenia at the time in australia advanced, now part of asian fed.... so 1/5
1/5 africa

Tell me again why Asia and Africa deserve more teams than concacaf.

Some people miss the point, first i never defended Asia, the issue with Asia and CONCACAF is the gap between the top 4-5(South korea, Japan, Aussie, Iran, Saudi) and Top three in CONCACAF( Mexico, usually USA, and lately Costa Rica) is HUGE. Yes this time USA choked, but it doesn't happen often. While in Africa, South America and Europe. teams like Cameroon, Cote d'ivoire, Ghana, Algeria or Chile, Paraguay in South America or Holland, Wales, Bosnia, Turkey, Romania and few others in Europe are very close to the teams that made it. Much much more competition, you can't even compare it.

African teams generally doing well in World Cup since 1990 amazing run by Cameroon, then Nigeria in 1998, then Senegal in 2002, it just in last few World Cups they were not good enough.

Last edited:
Meh.

I think its great. Whine all you want, you're still going to watch it.

I will watch of course, but you play about two years of qualifications to play only two matches in WC(of 48 teams with 16 groups of 3 teams most likely!!!). , it is really a joke.

As it was said many times Canada needs to invest in their youth system, with three clubs in MLS, and all having academies, there should be no reason for Canada senior team to suck that bad. I mean if USA with almost entirely squad playing in MLS can be competitive(well except lately), I don't expect Canada to be in 2-3 years among the best but i expect them to be at least at the same level of countries such as Panama or T&T or Jamaica!

BTW, Talking about T&T :)

22450138_1907152375967332_79893446338338156_n.jpg

There were some rumors regarding Patrick Vieira may take over the USA job, but he denied it and said i am not yet ready for such a challenge.

Some people miss the point, first i never defended Asia, the issue with Asia and CONCACAF is the gap between the top 4-5(South korea, Japan, Aussie, Iran, Saudi) and Top three in CONCACAF( Mexico, usually USA, and lately Costa Rica) is HUGE. Yes this time USA choked, but it doesn't happen often. While in Africa, South America and Europe. teams like Cameroon, Cote d'ivoire, Ghana, Algeria or Chile, Paraguay in South America or Holland, Wales, Bosnia, Turkey, Romania and few others in Europe are very close to the teams that made it. Much much more competition, you can't even compare it.

African teams generally doing well in World Cup since 1990 amazing run by Cameroon, then Nigeria in 1998, then Senegal in 2002, it just in last few World Cups they were not good enough.

Why do I care what happened 15, 19 and 27 years ago.

In the last 3 cups Concacaf has been better than Africa.

Why would the old results matter more than recent ones.

Hungary was the best soccer team in the world through much of the 1950s.... should we give them an automatic place in the tournament because of that?

I will watch of course, but you play about two years of qualifications to play only two matches in WC(of 48 teams with 16 groups of 3 teams most likely!!!). , it is really a joke.

But you will watch it, and people of the countries now included will watch it.

Win win.

Back