• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer Thread

The tournament will miss strong teams from Italy and Netherlands, a good Belgium or Denmark team doesnt replace that. Not to mention its hosted by a cheater nation, this World Cup will be one to forget. And Russia leading a weak ass group A like that? Why do they deserve it?

How strong are they if they couldn't qualify?

Holland is crap and has been for a little while now. But Belgium is really good, I think that's a wash.

Italy is hard to replace. Now, they did not qualify for a reason and deserve to sit out - they need a total system reset. We would need a good, mid-power South American team to go deep into the tournament, punch above their weight, and scare the bejesus out of everyone to have a similar impact. Colombia perhaps.

Toronto FC wins MLS title, it is a good thing for Canadian football, and hope it helps the national team at some points.

Why would anyone want to see their kids motivated to emulate euroweenie girly-men who roll around like they've been shot every time an opponent gets close to them?

That is what the small portion of population ONLY Canada and people like you think and actually stop this sport to have any kind of progress, it has nothing to do with cold weather,as some people claims Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, have worst weather.

That is what the small portion of population ONLY Canada and people like you think and actually stop this sport to have any kind of progress, it has nothing to do with cold weather,as some people claims Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, have worst weather.

I'm happy to do whatever I can to stop the spread of soccer in Canada.

Meh, top participation sport in Canada and MLS is quickly catching up to the CFL in viewership.

Good luck bud.

it is the top participation sport because it is cheap

My son has never played soccer during the winter (just the last three springs in futsal for the hell of it) because it conflicts with hockey but he knows many who play and they are poor. The rich kids play hockey. It is also arguable the better athletes play hockey. Somehow though, the extra participation does not translate into great players as everyone gets older. There is a disconnect somewhere.

It can also be explained by the exponential increase in the cost of equipment.

When we were kids, buying hockey sticks and skates were very reasonable for our parents....even if you factor-in inflation and cost of living today, it makes no sense that sticks are 300$....i don't know many Canadian parents that can afford having their kids go through 3-4 sticks in a season....

Last time I checked, soccer shoes and shin-guards did this exponentially increase in cost...heck, even tennis equipment did not exponentially increase

it is the top participation sport because it is cheap

My son has never played soccer during the winter (just the last three springs in futsal for the hell of it) because it conflicts with hockey but he knows many who play and they are poor. The rich kids play hockey. It is also arguable the better athletes play hockey. Somehow though, the extra participation does not translate into great players as everyone gets older. There is a disconnect somewhere.

I'm pretty sure universally soccer players are seen as the best team athletes in the world.

Hockey players tend to be bigger and stronger, but not better athletes.

One of the major issue and weakness of MLS and football in North America is they just follow the other North American sports rules, the lack of relegation and promotion from lower division to the top is something that i heard mostly from football fans regarding to MLS and rightfully. I mean how you can play the game all around the world with the same rule and have a different one for MLS? and is not only that(add playoff, trades, etc).

The whole relegation and promotion create lots of excitement.

Last time I checked, soccer shoes and shin-guards did this exponentially increase in cost...heck, even tennis equipment did not exponentially increase

You can still buy some cheap ones, that is not the main issue or better to say an issue.

Back