• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Training Camp Thread

Charlotte will be loaded with potential and I'm sure we'll see some of these players coming back soon enough. I had hoped we would see at least one or two more of your D-men on opening night.

Not Canes camp, but the Cherkers released Jared Staal from his tryout.

Saw that. Thought for sure they were just resetting his contract close to the minimum level, in anticipation of fourth-line duties, when I saw the PTO being offered.

Well, if anyone wants a faux-Staal-lite within their org, guess he's now available.

Turns out he was a bit more big-'ole-farm-boy-that-can-somewhat-skate than the other three, I suppose. :sarcasm

The Checkers official web site actually breaks out theoretical lines. Currently they show:

Boychuk-Hensick-Shugg
McGinn-Ryan-Tolchinsky
DiGiuseppe-Sutter-Woods
Hagel (AHL contract)-Brown-Karlsson

Carter Sandlak would be the extra forward. Ryan Rashid and David Wohlberg are also still in Charlotte's camp on a tryout basis.

Rissanen-Lowe
Carrick-Biega
Slavin-Pesce

Jake Chelios (AHL contract) and Tyler Ganly as extras

And then McIntyre and Tirronen in the nets. Altshuller will start the season in Florida again and hopefully get more playing time there than he did last year. He's very quickly going to be a depth afterthought with Nedeljkovic starting his pro career next year and then Callum Booth coming in a couple more years.

That's a pretty decent roster as far as the AHL is concerned. Hopefully it gels quickly and meets the organizational (and Drew McIntyre's) goal of winning a lot of games.

If they come together quickly enough that supposed 2nd line could well surpass the 1st pretty soon. That's two very creative offensive players and a big effort grinder ... should be a good combination.

The Checkers official web site actually breaks out theoretical lines. Currently they show:

Boychuk-Hensick-Shugg
McGinn-Ryan-Tolchinsky
DiGiuseppe-Sutter-Woods
Hagel (AHL contract)-Brown-Karlsson

Carter Sandlak would be the extra forward. Ryan Rashid and David Wohlberg are also still in Charlotte's camp on a tryout basis.

Rissanen-Lowe
Carrick-Biega
Slavin-Pesce

Jake Chelios (AHL contract) and Tyler Ganly as extras

And then McIntyre and Tirronen in the nets. Altshuller will start the season in Florida again and hopefully get more playing time there than he did last year. He's very quickly going to be a depth afterthought with Nedeljkovic starting his pro career next year and then Callum Booth coming in a couple more years.

That's a pretty decent roster as far as the AHL is concerned. Hopefully it gels quickly and meets the organizational (and Drew McIntyre's) goal of winning a lot of games.

I fully expect and am looking forward to seeing both Slavin and Pesce up with the big club for a look-see more than once if Murphy struggles or we get into injury trouble on the back end. Nice to finally have solid reinforcements on D in Charlotte to call up! I would assume a guy like Ryan or perhaps McGinn would be the first call up amongst the forward ranks.

I fully expect and am looking forward to seeing both Slavin and Pesce up with the big club for a look-see more than once if Murphy struggles or we get into injury trouble on the back end. Nice to finally have solid reinforcements on D in Charlotte to call up! I would assume a guy like Ryan or perhaps McGinn would be the first call up amongst the forward ranks.

I think they're in the position of being able to call up for need. So if we need a 4th line center, up comes Sutter. Anything higher than that could be Ryan or it could be any of the wings on the top 3 lines with Nash moving back to center in Raleigh. On D, based on the length of time they were in camp, Slavin is probably the first lefty up and Pesce the first righty.

Yeah ... since Ryan isn't a waiver risk and neither are those two kids I would expect Slavin and then Pesce to be the first ones on the bus if Murphy struggles ... again.

What??? I've known Wade for years, but had no idea this was happening! He's a great guy (and in previous years was frequently seen in Section 328)!

But...but...Jordan. :sarcasm

I figure that big dummy must have the Ryan Bayda Invisibility Cloak ... but in a positive way since it's a good thing when nobody notices you playing D. He still sucks but he's staying up for .... reasons?

What??? I've known Wade for years, but had no idea this was happening! He's a great guy (and in previous years was frequently seen in Section 328)!

I'm pretty sure they had open tryouts. I seem to remember something floating around on Twitter back in the summer.

I figure that big dummy must have the Ryan Bayda Invisibility Cloak ... but in a positive way since it's a good thing when nobody notices you playing D. He still sucks but he's staying up for .... reasons?

One way contract. I guess they didn't want to pay his $625k salary to play in Charlotte, when they can pay Slavin $70k.

One way contract. I guess they didn't want to pay his $625k salary to play in Charlotte, when they can pay Slavin $70k.

Sure. So we pay him that money to (hopefully) not play in Raleigh. Makes perfect sense.

Sorry. I'm still not over being angry when they re-signed his useless carcass to a one way deal. In fact, I might never get over that. It was dumber than dumb.

Back