• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2015-16 Season

I'm not so sure it's a good thing, the history, tradition and pride is the one thing that this organization has going for it, take that away and we're what, the Maple Leafs?
i mean in terms of management/coaching jobs

keep giving jobs to former players and you get the oilers

i think giving a job based on merit is the way to go

Therrien doesn't want ANYONE breathing down his neck. The Habs seem content in NOT surrounding management with legends/all-stars, instead it is riddled with 4th line plugs like MB, MT and JJ.

Guess what? When your GM, your coaches are 4th line plugs... that is what the team will embody.

most coaches are 4th line plugs or AHLers

especially the successful ones

dudley is one of the bigger name assistant GMs out there so ....

i mean in terms of management/coaching jobs

keep giving jobs to former players and you get the oilers

i think giving a job based on merit is the way to go

I agree but it's hardly been our problem since the Houle fiasco. Who's alumnis have we hired in Montreal in the past 15 years? Gainey who came with a lot of experience, Carbo, and Daigneault who also had previous experience as assistant coach. If you really want to expand it we also hired Lefebvre in Hamilton for no reasons, and Brisebois and Audette in minor roles. Instead we seemed to be stocking up on former Sens and Nordiques for a while.

Am I missing anything?

I think he meant picking up scrap heap players that might be useful, Salamander sees that as a pro scouts job.

I agree but it's hardly been our problem since the Houle fiasco. Who's alumnis have we hired in Montreal in the past 15 years? Gainey who came with a lot of experience, Carbo, and Daigneault who also had previous experience as assistant coach. If you really want to expand it we also hired Lefebvre in Hamilton for no reasons, and Brisebois and Audette in minor roles. Instead we seemed to be stocking up on former Sens and Nordiques for a while.

Am I missing anything?

carbo and gainey are the ones i was thinking about

carbo and gainey are the ones i was thinking about

I didn't have much of an issue with either. Gainey had an extensive experience as coach and GM, won a Cup with the Stars, and was an highly respected executive. We did think we were hiring one of the best in the business.

Andre Savard hired Carbo as an assistant coach pretty much the moment he retired. I thought he was a good fit for that role, with his good understanding of the game and ability to related to the players. Pretty much everybody was expecting him to be involved in coaching at the end of his career. It was also a good way for us to groom him into coaching, which is what eventually happened down the road.

I don't think we overdid it overall, and I sure would have love to have hired an alumni like Larry.

It's easy to say "What is Dudley doing" along with the other scouts, but they're not the ones making the deals.

They could give all the information in the world to Bergevin, but if Bergevin doesn't have the balls to make a deal then it kinda amounts to nothing.

Also, pro scouting isn't only just identifying trade targets. They scout future opponents and get in-depth scouting reports on the teams to give to the coaches so that game plans can be established.

Therrien doesn't want ANYONE breathing down his neck. The Habs seem content in NOT surrounding management with legends/all-stars, instead it is riddled with 4th line plugs like MB, MT and JJ.

Guess what? When your GM, your coaches are 4th line plugs... that is what the team will embody.

While Robinson is a good coach there are plenty of 4th line plugs who are much better coaches/management types than Star players. Gretzky was a terrible coach. Rocket and Boom boom both sucked as coaches. Babcock and Bowman didn't have great hockey careers. Neither did Joel Quenneville.

Most stars can't teach their skill -- ie Michael Jordan was a catastrophe. Ham n Eggers had to learn the game the hard way and thus can impart that process to others.

Back