• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2017-18 Regular Season

In fact, knowing Molson's strategy of ''statu quo'', Bergy might not even want to make a run....he might just be happy with squeaking into the playoffs.

Low expectations, but still delivering some results (playoffs), people keep coming back....

To make the playoffs, we'll have to beat out one team: the Boston Bruins. Is that really so difficult to do? I don't thinks so. But we will need to acquire a center and a d-man.

To make the playoffs, we'll have to beat out one team: the Boston Bruins. Is that really so difficult to do? I don't thinks so. But we will need to acquire a center and a d-man.

You once made a very good analogy regarding basketball games only being interesting to watch in the final 5 mins because that's when the game is won....same applies to current NHL....everything will go down to last 2-3 months....Bergy still has time to acquire his Vanek-Petry type player

Boston is better than us. They've also played 4 less games.

If it wasn't for Buffalo and Ottawa the Habs would be a complete laughing stock this season. Open your eyes.

You once made a very good analogy regarding basketball games only being interesting to watch in the final 5 mins because that's when the game is won....same applies to current NHL....everything will go down to last 2-3 months....Bergy still has time to acquire his Vanek-Petry type player

So you are advocating to get rid of the little youth and future picks to hopefully finish 3rd in the division?

This is exactly what's wrong with this team and fan base.

Max is Max...when he’ll get hot the three stretches during the year it will allow him to get the bulk of his goals.

Most snipers are streaky, its reality, but when some of the better scorers are cold they bring other elements to the table that allow them to contribute.

When Max gets cold I dont exactly see what he brings to the table.

I’ll take an example,

When Phil Kessel gets cold He is bringing playmaking ability which is why you still see this guy getting 45-50 assists.

Wayne Simmonds gets cold but he is still a physical force playing in traffic and going to the net.

Heck even when Brendan Gallagher is not scoring we still see his value due to his energy.

Max has no real other attributes that make him valuable in these slumps.

I think thats why he gets the criticism he does when he goes cold in the regular season and playoffs

Kessel
Outside of last year (where Kessel only had 23 goals) he is normally in the same range of assists as Max - mid 30s. Kessel also has not score 30+ goals in 4 seasons. Meanwhile max has scored 30+ in all of them.

Simmonds and Gallagher
Energy and hits only matter if they = goals

You need to stop with the "no real other attributes" crap. You can bitch about him not bringing the other skills you want him to bring. But PK and defense matter.

So you are advocating to get rid of the little youth and future picks to hopefully finish 3rd in the division?

Don't worry, MB's not going to trade Juulsen, Mete or Poehlig. Th

I would consider moving Mete for another young player.

I would keep Scherbak, Juulsen, Poe (although he will bust probably) and all my 1st and 2nd round picks.

Vanek cost a second and a prospect, Petry a 2nd rounder.

You would be willing to spend that just for the privilege of getting knocked out by a better team in the playoffs?

I wouldn't consider Mete to be untouchable. But I'm not parting with Sherbak, Juulsen, or Poehling unless we're getting a real difference-maker in return (Tavares)

Never said that. I said in one of my posts today that Bergy doesn’t need to deal prospects to take salary dumps

There's no point in trading for players now...after Xmas, when half the season has gone by, Bergevin can try to trade for a top dmen and a top 6 forward. Our cap space will allow us to absorb 2 big contracts (8M+ each).

Of course, Bergevin has to find a salary dump dmen and forward. It won't be Tavares...but maybe Giroux...and maybe a top 4 dmen underachieving elsewhere that a team wants to dump his big salary. You usually don't need to give up much in terms of prospects to get those players...I'm sure Flyers would like to unload Giroux...I'm sure Anaheim is already thinking of unloading Perry's big contract (maybe this summer if they come up short again in playoffs)

(btw, I don't want Giroux)
If the flyers give up Provorov I'd take Giroux's contract.

I thought Deslauriers was playing center on that line.

Yes OK , I was thinking before de la Rose was moved up because of Drouin's injury. Deslauriers at centre and not Froese is a bit weird though, so weird I didnt notice it.

Last edited:
Back