• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2017-18 Regular Season

Due to his contract, Max is risky player to mortgage the future for. Only teams that are quite close to winning a cup right now will likely inquire about him in the off season. There will likely be one or two outlier teams, but in general the teams that were interested in him at the deadline will likely be the main teams interested in him at the draft.

I doubt the overall number of teams interested in him increases drastically.

I can't see any team risking its future for Max. It's just Max. A good support/complimentary piece with without a very good playoff track record.

Max has value, but it's limited to a certain number of teams due to contract and team situation.

You can make an argument that considering what a team will need to part with in terms of futures, he had more value as a two playoff rental rather than just a one year guy.

Last edited:

I agree with all of the above but I still think the number of teams will increase a bit. There was about 3 teams at the deadline, I could see this number double. Also the trade might be bigger and include more pieces.

draft....or after UFA opens

but i still do not see him as a move at all costs guy

if you get a good deal...deal him

he buckled pretty quickly on his last deal due to injury
with his current injury and bad season maybe he does again

either way i think we can all agree that MB is not the guy to figure this out

The issue here is that relationship between the Habs and Max seems to be pretty much over.

The alarming issue is that it's up to MB to either fix the relationship or trade him. I don't think he has the ability to do either.

The issue here is that relationship between the Habs and Max seems to be pretty much over.

The alarming issue is that it's up to MB to either fix the relationship or trade him. I don't think he has the ability to do either.

Money talks....

since Habs cannot attract elite UFA's, then why not spend the money on Max ?

It's not like we will use the 8-9 mil we would give to Max on another UFA out there.

There's still some chance that Max re-signs, but they give the C to Weber.

Money talks....

It's not like we will use the 8-9 mil we would give to Max on another UFA out there.

Trading him does more for the franchise than signing him now does.

And you can still sign him when he becomes a UFA.

Trading him does more for the franchise than signing him now does.

And you can still sign him when he becomes a UFA.

He has an amazingly low cap hit, and could have helped a team for two playoffs runs before becoming UFA....but we couldn't find a trading partner....either MB is clueless, or he's clueless....i'll let you decide which explanations fits best

He was on pace for 46 points before he got hurt. Is 4.5 million still a low cap hit based on that?

What I always find amazing is that as fans we rip on our players something fierce, know all of their faults, want rid of them due to said faults, but then expect other teams to ignore said faults and give us great returns for the said player.

What I always find amazing is that as fans we rip on our players something fierce, know all of their faults, want rid of them due to said faults, but then expect other teams to ignore said faults and give us great returns for the said player.

I was never expecting a huge return for Max. And I’d like to trade him.

There was many that said Markov was washed up ... done... to slow bla bla bla. Look at us without him

worked with Pleks

Any bubble team looking to better ensure some playoff gates will be kicking the tires on Max. More of those will exist in the off-season than will at the deadline. Optimism is more prevalent among teams before actual games are played. By the time the deadline rolls around most teams know what they are, even if they don't admit it publicly, and they act accordingly. There used to be lots of foolish deals on deadline day but you only have to get burned (or even just watch others get burned) to learn your lesson. That's why deadline day has become a non-event where it used to be like Mardi-Gras.

But in the summer time everybody thinks they've got a shot and since the puck hasn't dropped yet, there's nothing to disprove their optimism. Remember last summer when a certain GM swore on a stack of Bibles that his defence corps would actually be better than the year before after acquiring Alzner and Schlemko.

Optimism is what's going to get us a good return for Pacioretty.

Other teams' GM's listen to Habs fans even less than the Habs GM does. We must not delude ourselves into thinking that anything we believe as fans, no matter how loudly we proclaim it, registers even a little bit with the people who actually make decisions. Nothing we say or do makes any difference to them. We are nothing more than the necessary evil who's slavish devotion to our teams allows them to get paid.

Money talks....

There is no logic extending GQ whatsoever. Team stinks and there is no rainbow at the end of the tunnel for years.

By the time we are good again he is decline .....MOVE ON

Back