• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2017-18 Regular Season

Ya. Will miss him when it comes to the draft for sure.
GGpX seemed to be less and less involved over the years. Remember when he used to go to the development camp and report back?

He's still waiting for Brodeur to get the Montreal GM job, so he can apply for a position.

Habs will revert to the mean is legit analysis?

Ok then.

All we need to know is this team was fraud for years hiding behind a goalie and this day of suckage was coming .

As we both said , no tweaking or patch job can save us .

Stu Cowan wrote it perfectly , we need a defined , " Shanaplan " to save us .

Couldnt care less about the optics of the fan base , appeasing the 1% season ticket holders , or how JR needs playoff revenue ( good luck with that ) for his consortium .

From purely a hockey perspective we are in trouble and need a cleansing .

Since 1993 I have only had 2 occasions where I thought that this team would make the final. Not actually win the Cup, mind you, just make the final and then maybe get lucky. In 2010 I figured that Halak would outduel Leighton in the semis given what he had done against the Caps and Pens. And in 2013 when we played the Rangers in the semis I figured that Price would outduel Lundqvist - which he likely would have had Krieder not injured him. But in both cases my only reason for optimism was because of our goaltending. The Habs, as a team, were on the short end of every other metric in pretty much any playoff series they've participated in for the past quarter century, even longer if you want to include the Roy era. We've not won a Cup with better skaters since 1979. We were goalie-dependent in 86 and 93 and in every year since. The only season where we were actually any good aside from our goalie was 1989 when we lost in the final to Calgary, mostly because (ironically) Roy didn't play very well.

So yes, this team is a fraud and has been for a long time. Every year, whether they make the playoffs or not, they are eventually exposed as the frauds they are. Sometimes it takes an injury to the goalie in the first game of the third playoff round. In other years, a goalie injury in November is sufficient to scuttle the entire season by Christmas. This speaks to a massive failure in all aspects of player development, from scouting to drafting to the minor league system to coaching, managing and, right now, ownership. This franchise is weak from the top down which is why making moves in the middle or lower areas of the organization will solve nothing. This team doesn't need an enema, it needs a beheading.

I have no idea.

Please reference it. Once I see this analysis I can judge.

What was 2nd last year.

Montreal was 1-5-1 in therriens last 7 games. Still finished over 100. Small stretches like this can be overcome. It only seems bleaker in october instead of feb

It also isnt something that happens over night. We are 10% into the season... its a long way from done.

Here is another question. Is vegas going to win their division? Make the playoffs? Hence the danger of overrating a small stretch.

I don't think so.... we werent a 120 point team last year despite the 10-0-1 start.

We arent going to be an 85 point team this year despite the bad start.
This team wasn't the greatest team in NHL history when it was 10-0-1 with a 110 PDO.

Its not the worst team either when it is 1-6-1 with a 90.9 PDO.

Things will still work themselves out over 82, as they did last year.

They are. Just wait for the full season to play out.

The Habs will easily have more points than Colorado. Both teams are on short runs of unsustainability right now.

This D-Core will be worse offensively.

I don't see them being worse defensively. In fact I see them being a slight bit better defensively than last year. Not much, but a little.

Alzner is better than Emelin.
Schlemko is better than Beaulieu.
Benn they have a full season and he's better than Pateryn.

Markov had lost a step and while he was great offensively, he wasn't a stalwart defensively. Who is Montreal's last LHD, Jerabek? Mete? They might not be as good as Markov was, but the drop off isn't so big as to negate the three gains above.

That said the offense won't be there.
I believe there are NHL players who do not generate enough chances to score goals in large quantities.

in terms of top 9 forwards.... most if given enough shots, will score goals. There are a few who wouldn't (aka the John Scotts of the world), but these have become harder to find in the NHL in recent years.

So yes, while there are players who are not good at scoring goals, that comes from their inability to generate shots and chances from high danger areas. if you are a top 9 NHLer and get to the front of the net, you can score goals.

Do we have enough players who can score goals? Enough for what? To win the cup? No. To be a middle of the pack offensive team, good defensive squad, and overall good but not great team? yes.
The point is that the shot.total is high and the guys doing.the shooting have nhl skill.

Plekanec can still shoot the puck. Gallagher scored all his goals in tight. His hand injury might weaken his wrister but isnt going to effect his greasy goals... they were never about power. Byrons goal chart is similar to gallagher... he might not score 20 again but his shooting percentage isnt going to be 2% either.

This team would have 11 goals in 4 games if they shot at a percentage that is the worst for a full season in nhl history.

The goals will come... to be a middle of the pack offensive team and high end defensive team again. Its just a matter of time.
Unless you are a john scott or some other talentless plug... top 9 nhl forwards are going to score between 8-12% of their shots.

A guy like ovechkin or laine or stamkos might go a little above that... but those guys are rare. Even then ovys numbers arent that much higher. His quantity of goals is due to the fact he almost always leads the league in shots.

Guess who almost always leads our team in shots? Max. The same guy who leads in goals.

premium Goal scorers in the nhl are only marginally better shooters than other players. the main reason they put up more goals isnt because their shots are that much better its because they find ways to take more shots. volume is key here.

If we keep getting this level of possession we wont be bottom 10 in the nhl in goals scored over 82 games. We will be at worst in the middle of the pack.
Some of his greatest hits.

Some of his greatest hits.
He may have been wrong but that yes that is the legit analysis I miss.

The thought, care and for the most part evidence provided made for much better discussion.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ya. Will miss him when it comes to the draft for sure.
GGpX seemed to be less and less involved over the years. Remember when he used to go to the development camp and report back?
Just get a draft book and regurgitate it. No way anyone knows every player as some make out.

I wish that BKerr wasn't so volatile and a troll... cause he was easily the best "analyst" on the board. If he could just have allowed others to have differing opinions... even if those opinions are stupid.

We definitely miss his analysis.

What you call googling and regurgitating is what I can evidence.

But yes he came off as a know it all (and never let anything go) but I enjoy those debates far more than "derp...euros are soft" etc

Of course he obviously won the biggest battle around here re: McCarron...because he googled stats.

What you call googling and regurgitating is what I can evidence.

But yes he came off as a know it all (and never let anything go) but I enjoy those debates far more than "derp...euros are soft" etc

Of course he obviously won the biggest battle around here re: McCarron...because he googled stats.

I miss those Habs 25 and Ben battles , they were a classic .

I have no issue with differing opinion as long as we tone down the criticism

I wish that BKerr wasn't so volatile and a troll... cause he was easily the best "analyst" on the board. If he could just have allowed others to have differing opinions... even if those opinions are stupid.

We definitely miss his analysis.

Yup, his insisted on having the last word and his confrontational style was tiresome, but otherwise I liked his contribution as he was bringing a lot of in-depth analysis.

Yeah, most of those guys never really bothered me. It would be nice to hear from them.

Once he toned down his trolling, I liked his contribution. He was lighthearted, could take a rubbing without creating a fuss, and would occasionally spark good discussions.

I definitely do not miss his trolling.

Back