• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2017 Training Camp

How many 5'8 or 5'9 (he's not 5'10) d-men have had impactful NHL career? More than a handful?

More and more in post 2005 lockout than previously.

Mete is 5'10"... that is what he was measured at by NHL central scouting at the 2016 Draft combine. This isn't a number that is being inflated.

Jordan Boucher, William Corrin, Kevin Dufour, Alexandre Goulet, James McEwan & Saverio Posa have all been assigned to AHL camp.

The Habs announce Noah Juulsen will be out for six weeks with a broken foot. Damn.

Not a lot... but they exist.Useful or better guys from last year.

5'9
Torey Krug
Jared Spurgeon

5'10
Kris Russell
Toby Enstrom
Ryan Ellis
Brian Campbell
Sami Vatanen
Tyson Barrie

The Habs announce Noah Juulsen will be out for six weeks with a broken foot. Damn.

Ugh. Always something with our top prospects.

With him going down it all but confirms that we will be going into the season with an unnatural amount of cap space. I assume he would have been one of our potential trade pieces.

Last edited:

Ugh. Always something with our top prospects.

With him going down it all but confirms that we will going into the season with an unnatural amount of cap space. I assume he would have been one of our potential trade pieces.

The most likely player to be traded, no matter how much i think trading him would be a mistake, remains Alex Galchenyuk.

Trading him for a more expensive player remains something that I see Bergevin considering. Look at Duchene and Giroux as possible names in a deal, and I wouldn't want to do either deal one-for-one. A deal for a Tavares might be something to consider, but the Isles aren't trading him til they are both out of the playoffs and not re-signing him.

Not a lot... but they exist.Useful or better guys from last year.

5'9
Torey Krug
Jared Spurgeon

5'10
Kris Russell
Toby Enstrom
Ryan Ellis
Brian Campbell
Sami Vatanen
Tyson Barrie

you forgot the greatest short dman of all time, 5'6 Francis Bouillon,,,,,

I'm pretty sure the cap space won't be used.

I'm pretty sure it will not be spent for the sake of spending it. If there is a hockey trade to be made that use that space, Bergevin will do it. But spending money for spending money is useless, unless it's for a player on his final year of his contract. Considering we have 8.5 available and 6 more free once pleks is out next year, that is a LOT of money to try to get a good center or top 2 dman if one is available.

I'm pretty sure it will not be spent for the sake of spending it. If there is a hockey trade to be made that use that space, Bergevin will do it. But spending money for spending money is useless, unless it's for a player on his final year of his contract. Considering we have 8.5 available and 6 more free once pleks is out next year, that is a LOT of money to try to get a good center or top 2 dman if one is available.

4 of that goes to Price's raise.

Danault is making almost no money, he will get a raise.

Jerabek is a UFA. If he is any good, he gets a raise... if he isn't good we sign a D to replace him too.

Basically, all of Plekanec's money is already going to be spent on these three things.

Simon Bourque, Thomas Ebbing, Stefan Leblanc, Tom Parisi, Niki Petti, Yannick Veilleux and Antoine Waked have been assigned to AHL camp.

46 players remain at big camp.

From what I understand this is really the only year we have the extra money to use. Going forward, a lot of gets eaten up (and Plek's money too) next year with raises and new contracts. It's pretty much a one year luxury that they decided to not take advantage of.

Back