• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2018 Offseason

In the NHL PTO's happen often. The Habs aren't gonna sign major free agents for a couple years, but they still need bodies.

This is a transition year. Other than potentially Scherbak PTO players aren't blocking much for the 2018/2019 season. The next major crop won't be coming until 2019/2020 (Suzuki, Poehling, Kotkaniemi).
repeating the same thing doesn't make it correct

Do we not have any 22-25 year old overseas players in the funnel that we can take a look at ?

Do we not have any 22-25 year old overseas players in the funnel that we can take a look at ?

Not really. This is a transition year. And it's just a PTO. I wouldn't be too concerned about it if I were you.

Other than potentially Scherbak PTO players aren't blocking much for the 2018/2019 season. The next major crop won't be coming until 2019/2020 (Suzuki, Poehling, Kotkaniemi).

Last edited:

Here are the lines and D pairings from Day 1:

TEAM A:

Tomas Tatar - Phillip Danault - Brendan Gallagher
Nicolas Deslauriers - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Artturi Lehkonen
Hunter Shinkaruk - Tomas Plekanec - Charles Hudon
Michael Chaput - Jacob de la Rose - Byron Froese
Joel Teasdale - Alex Belzile - Will Bitten

Victor Mete - Noah Juulsen
Karl Alzner - David Schlemko
Simon Despres - David Sklenicka
Rinat Valiev - Maxim Lamarche
T.J. Melancon

Charlie Lindgren
Michael McNiven
Etienne Marcoux

_____

TEAM B:

Jonathan Drouin - Max Domi - Joel Armia
Paul Byron - Nick Suzuki - Nikita Scherbak
Kenny Agostino - Matthew Peca - Alexandre Grenier
Jeremiah Addison - Michael McCarron - Alexandre Alain
Daniel Audette - Lukas Vejdemo - Antoine Waked

Jordie Benn - Jeff Petry
Mike Reilly - Brett Lernout
Xavier Ouellet - Josh Brook
Michal Moravcik - Cale Fleury
Adam Plant

Carey Price
Antti Niemi

Haven't seen any other reports from practice, but yes, the official site has Drouin listed at LW and Domi at C.

Last edited:
Re: Habs News & Notes: 2018 Training Camp

One Habs-related note from Elliotte Friedman's first 31 Thoughts of the season:

russia.png

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-examining-erik-karlsson-trade-fallout/

Eric Engels:
One note here from Day 1 of on-ice sessions for Habs: Jonathan Drouin looks faster. Weighed 203 to start last camp, weighs 193 to start this one. Speed difference is apparent.

John Lu:
Julien says he’s familiar with Drouin at centre, so putting Domi in the middle during training camp is to observe what he can do at that position, acknowledging he may need Domi to play there at some point.

John Lu:
Julien says he’s familiar with Drouin at centre, so putting Domi in the middle during training camp is to observe what he can do at that position, acknowledging he may need Domi to play there at some point.

ugh

why not play both at centre then
Drouin needs as much time as possible at C imo

Eric Engels:
One note here from Day 1 of on-ice sessions for Habs: Jonathan Drouin looks faster. Weighed 203 to start last camp, weighs 193 to start this one. Speed difference is apparent.

Engels looks like he is 250 this year when he came in around 190 last season.

What’s the deal with Joel Teasdale?

Did he go undrafted?

He was an invite to the team Canada summer showcase, so he’s on the radar for the WJC

What’s the deal with Joel Teasdale?

Did he go undrafted?

He was an invite to the team Canada summer showcase, so he’s on the radar for the WJC

Yup.

He's also one of Joel Bouchard's guys from Blainville-Boisbriand.

I wouldn't be surprised if we gave him an ELC, but at the same time, I don't know where he'd fit in the NHL outside of a grinder roll.

Yup.

He's also one of Joel Bouchard's guys from Blainville-Boisbriand.

I wouldn't be surprised if we gave him an ELC, but at the same time, I don't know where he'd fit in the NHL outside of a grinder roll.

one can't have enough grinders if you want to compete.... for the draft lottery

Back