• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2017-18 Regular Season

Agreed. Of course the Vegas expansion impacts but not a giant deal.

As I explained awhile ago we did the worst case scenario. Put out a team worse than last year while giving up our best prospect.

Even going with the statues quo there was a small chance at a cup. Luck, match-ups, price, etc.

But if they decided they wanted to not bring back Markov / radulov (or similar). Then don't sign alzner and don't trade serg for a winger (or at all). Then look at trading vets away. Even explore trading max with two years left and teams with some cap room.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I accounted for the Vegas expansion by removing Emelin. I also forgot Hudon.

I wouldn't mind if they had kept that above lineup but tried to trade Max and Price instead. I'm sure we would have gotten quite the collection of players, prospects and picks for those two, keeping us still fairly competitive in the short term while restocking the farm and preparing the future. Even without considering the potential return for those two, the following lineup is enough to get us fighting for a playoff spot while the picks and prospects received could have prepared us nicely for the future.

Galchenyuk-Danault-Radulov
Hudon-Plekanec-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Shaw-Byron
De La Rose-Mitchell-Carr/Sherbak/McCarron

Markov-Weber
Sergachev-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn
Mete

Lindgren
Montoya

MB has dodged enough bullets by Lucic, Ladd, Beleskey accepting other offers rather than his.

In this case Yzerman couldn't refuse a deal to get a blue chip prospect defenseman like Sergachev for an asset he already had depth at.

What's ironic is that MB was in the same boat having enough depth on the wings when he made this deal.

I wonder if the blue jackets would have done Dubois for sergachev.

Drouin is better than Dubois.

Not really.

PLD 44 games played, 10 goals, 12 assists.

JD 37 games played, 5 goals, 14 assists.

PLD is three years younger and meets the Quebec born player that MB was going after and is more of a natural center than drouin.

MB has dodged enough bullets by Lucic, Ladd, Beleskey accepting other offers rather than his.

In this case Yzerman couldn't refuse a deal to get a blue chip prospect defenseman like Sergachev for an asset he already had depth at.

What's ironic is that MB was in the same boat having enough depth on the wings when he made this deal.
Unfortunately there wasn't an available francophone centre on the market but there was an available francophone winger. In the end, it all comes back to that. If Drouin was a winger named "McDonald" MB probably doesn't bother trading Sergachev for him. But the attraction of a flashy "p'tit gars de chez nous" was too much for MB to resist. A franchise concerned only with winning rather than optics wouldn't have felt such pressure.

And you know that certain factions of the media would have crucified MB had he failed to get Drouin when he became available.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Not really.

PLD 44 games played, 10 goals, 12 assists.

JD 37 games played, 5 goals, 14 assists.

PLD is three years younger and meets the Quebec born player that MB was going after and is more of a natural center than drouin.

If you only go with this season stats, I completely agree. But I still maintain that Drouin has way more talent than Dubois. Drouin would have at least 30 points on any other team in the league right now.

He's also not really a center either. Edit: I guess he's been playing more center lately, I haven't paid much attention.

Last edited:

Bergevin is pretty much as inconsistent as the team he described yesterday.

IMO, inconsistency is usually code for untalented. Consistency is what separates the mediocre from the elite.

If you only go with this season stats, I completely agree. But I still maintain that Drouin has way more talent than Dubois. Drouin would have at least 30 points on any other team in the league right now.

He's also not really a center either. Edit: I guess he's been playing more center lately, I haven't paid much attention.

Does that talent really count for much when he's playing out of position?

It's a moot point though, we don't have sergachev and no way Columbus trades PLD for drouin.

Not a chance he is 30 points better on any other team . Maybe with CMD and Sid full time he is 20 points better .

He is overrated and IMO will never be the player expected of him , and yes Dubois will have a better career IMO.

This just shows how worse this moronic regime and deal looks like now.

Let's get the French guy and play him centre . Oops he can't produce here as a centre and oops he is just a another extension of the offensive stench we have.

Still no excuse how he is barely producing like a third liner , he should have 15 points on the PP in his sleep right now with so called sick skills .

Last edited:

Yes it's a blessing most players don't want to come here . It's also an indication of how dumb Nero is to even extend a contract offer to those 3.

Doesn't EVERY GM dole out bad contracts? I guess the key is to give out more good than bad. MB has not done that.

Bergevin's problem is that he seems to put more energy and time in dishing out contracts to bottom player like Alzner-Shaw, rather than his top guys...

He nickel and dimes Subban (before allegedly Molson steps-in), but he throws draft picks and money at Shaw without hesitation? Go figure....

Hey, even Prust got 4 years....4 years for Prust !!!! He was done by year #2....because in the new NHL, these type of players don't last...but we all know Bergy is stuck in the 90's still

That is my problem too, he ensures his bottom guys are signed, then fights hard on the top end guys. He says trades are hard, but he has never had a problem trading for flotsam and jetsam like Drewiske, King, Ott, Martinsen etc

If he thinks trades are hard, then why not emphasize on developing properly our youth ? Like why you still have your best friend Sly running the show in AHL ?

Why do you hire old-mentality dinosaur coaches like Therrien and Julien ?

I used to think Gainey had a nice country club set-up here with his friends.....Bergy just re-defined the term country club...

Back