• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2018 Offseason

Many greats but I'd have to say Lidstrom was the best of the bunch. 7 Norris is pretty impressive.

Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer are rarely mentioned in those conversations but they were dominant.

Chris Pronger was awesome too. Really and complete package.

Lidstrom gets my vote for #2 of all time.

Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer are rarely mentioned in those conversations but they were dominant.

Now that's the player I wanted to be playing like.

One can only dream, smooth skating like that is just God given.

Are many of these FA European defencemen turning out? There has been a movement towards these kind of signings the past couple of years in the league it seems. Easier than drafting them and waiting 4-5 years to get a depth defenceman for a year or two maybe.I don't get warm and fuzzy when I see us signing them because I picture guys like Jerobek(sp?) and Diaz. Were there others? We hit a good one with Streit but that was a previous generation and his success then primarily happened elsewhere. Maybe they are just another way for Bergevin to bargain shop. I really know nothing about these guys of course.

Is anyone hitting on good ones, or are they mostly AHL/seventh defencemen types and that is all they are meant to be? The Leafs got the Russian-one good year, one not so good I believe.

Are many of these FA European defencemen turning out? There has been a movement towards these kind of signings the past couple of years in the league it seems. Easier than drafting them and waiting 4-5 years to get a depth defenceman for a year or two maybe.I don't get warm and fuzzy when I see us signing them because I picture guys like Jerobek(sp?) and Diaz. Were there others? We hit a good one with Streit but that was a previous generation and his success then primarily happened elsewhere. Maybe they are just another way for Bergevin to bargain shop. I really know nothing about these guys of course.

Is anyone hitting on good ones, or are they mostly AHL/seventh defencemen types and that is all they are meant to be? The Leafs got the Russian-one good year, one not so good I believe.

The way I look at it , its like signing a college free agent and take a chance.

I think they are more depth guys on cheap deals and hope someone actually sticks .

think of them as third rounder draft picks
unlikely to work out but sometimes they do

Habs have apparently signed two Czech Dman. David Sklenicka (21) and Michal Moravcik (23) - teammates with Plzen and both had a strong showing at the 2018 WC in Denmark.

https://www.tyden.cz/rubriky/sport/...ka-s-moravcikem-miri-do-montrealu_481931.html

No details about the contracts available, apparently the news has just been announced.

It is a two-year entry-level deal for Moravčík and a three-year contract for Sklenička.

Moravčík is 23 years old and is a left-handed defenceman. He is 6’4, 212 and had five goals and 11 assists in 52 games. He added three goals and four assists in 10 playoff games and had a goal and two assists in eight games at the World Championships. He has played 189 career games in the Czech Extraliga (11G-28A-39P) at the senior level.

Sklenička is only 21 years old, and despite his age has already played 148 games in the Extraliga (10G-21A-31P). He is also a left-handed shot and is 5’11, 181. He had three goals and 11 assists in 49 games this season. He added a goal and an assist in 10 playoff games. He had two assists in eight games at the World Championships.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2018/5/28/17401992/montreal-canadiens-sign-michal-moravcik-david-sklenicka-world-championships-hc-skoda-plzen-habs

Here are the contract details, both got two years.

Sklenicka agreed to a two-year entry-level contract worth the maximum NHL salary (including signing bonus), as well as the maximum AHL salary for entry-level contracts.

Moravcik, meanwhile, agreed to a two-year entry-level contract worth the maximum NHL salary (including signing bonus), as well as the maximum AHL salary for entry-level contracts.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/...vid-sklenicka-and-michal-moravcik/c-298814936

Back