• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2015-16 Season Miscellaneous News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The season gets underway tonight with 4 games, including a doubleheader on NBCSN. They'll have Rangers/Blackhawks at 8 and Sharks/Kings (with Forslund on the call) at 10:30.

Glad to see that they tacked the West Coast game on this year. Otherwise it's just the beginning of your steady, season long, soul crushing NBC/Comcast diet of Hawks, Wings, Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Pens ... ugh.

The season gets underway tonight with 4 games, including a doubleheader on NBCSN. They'll have Rangers/Blackhawks at 8 and Sharks/Kings (with Forslund on the call) at 10:30.

Let's not forget Leafs vs Habs and a look at Babcock and Shanny's DIY home improvement project known as the Leafs!!!

I must admit that Cubs vs Bucs NL Wild Card tilt will also get some air time on my TV tonight.

Let's not forget Leafs vs Habs and a look at Babcock and Shanny's DIY home improvement project known as the Leafs!!!

Apparently they are ALREADY chaffing each other. Should be fun to see that little power struggle play itself out. Either way, Babs is learning quickly how good he had it all those years working with a boss the quality of Kenny Holland.

Dear Kings,

Feel free to play 81 more games like you're playing tonight.

Love,
Owners of your 2016 first-round draft pick

Amen to that!!! Sutter could be on the hot seat this year. Lottery pick bonus from the Kings would be sweet.

I think you can change "could be" to "is" on the hot seat. Management has made it plain that they want results out of the gate this season. And I do think he's lost the room. They just weren't playing with any speed at all late last season when we were tracking them rooting for them to make the playoffs. And physicality without speed ... that's called traffic cones.

I think you can change "could be" to "is" on the hot seat. Management has made it plain that they want results out of the gate this season. And I do think he's lost the room. They just weren't playing with any speed at all late last season when we were tracking them rooting for them to make the playoffs. And physicality without speed ... that's called traffic cones.

They will miss Justin Williams a lot.

Just an FYI/PSA: Trade deadline this year is Cam Ward's birthday- 2/29/16.

Any idea who will be the first canes player traded this deadline? E12? Cward? JSkinner? Another player?
Any thoughts if Cward or E12 refuse to waive their NMC?

Brad Malone will be the first player traded for a 6th round pick.

Eric is going to re-sign

Cam will be traded (but after Brad Malone), he will waive his no-trade

Skinner isn't going anywhere.

We will try to trade Liles, not sure we will succeed.

Versteeg will be traded for a 2nd round pick

Gerbe will be traded for a 3rd round pick.

Everything except for the Malone trade and E. Staal re-sign is dependent on the Canes clearly not being in the playoff hunt. If the Canes are in the playoff mix then all bets are off.

Last edited:

Eric is going to re-sign

Everything except for the Malone trade and E. Staal re-sign is dependent on the Canes clearly not being in the playoff hunt. If the Canes are in the playoff mix then all bets are off.

STOP READING MY MIND.

Eric is going to re-sign

:iagree:

Just an FYI/PSA: Trade deadline this year is Cam Ward's birthday- 2/29/16.

Any idea who will be the first canes player traded this deadline? E12? Cward? JSkinner? Another player?
Any thoughts if Cward or E12 refuse to waive their NMC?

First player traded will be Ryan Murphy!

Eric Staal will be gone by the deadline for as little as a prospect and a first round pick.

Cam Ward will be moved for either a goalie prospect or a 2nd or 3rd round pick by the deadline.

If Versteeg stays healthy, he's gone by the deadline.

I liken Eric Staal situation to Shane Doan's situation. At about this same age Doan re-upped with Zona for 5 years, and then he signed another 4 year deal after that one.

Its easy to say this is all about Eric Staal's desire to stay with the Canes, but I really do think that Ronnie is going to think long and hard about Eric's value to salary when making this decision. Eric has to produce. If he does produce, Eric HAS to be willing to take no more than $7 million AAV this contract for no longer than 5 years if he really wants to stay here. Making the decision even harder, I fully expect Eric Staal to just go off this year and maintain a 30 goal, 80 point pace. He already has the one fluky goal on the stat sheet.

There are so many ways this could play out with E.Staal its impossible to say how this ends up.

I liken Eric Staal situation to Shane Doan's situation. At about this same age Doan re-upped with Zona for 5 years, and then he signed another 4 year deal after that one.

Its easy to say this is all about Eric Staal's desire to stay with the Canes, but I really do think that Ronnie is going to think long and hard about Eric's value to salary when making this decision. Eric has to produce. If he does produce, Eric HAS to be willing to take no more than $7 million AAV this contract for no longer than 5 years if he really wants to stay here. Making the decision even harder, I fully expect Eric Staal to just go off this year and maintain a 30 goal, 80 point pace. He already has the one fluky goal on the stat sheet.

There are so many ways this could play out with E.Staal its impossible to say how this ends up.

Which is the exact reason why I think it makes zero sense to bring Eric back...the franchise is clearly in a rebuilding state, long term rebuilds don't include bringing back high priced/overpaid players on the downside of their careers. When you talk about production equaling contract, Eric comes nowhere close, he has to dominate nightly to justify the big bucks, when have we saw that from #12 much in the past couple of years? I think the decision for Ron Francis becomes easier by the day, I just hope the "Jordan Staal-he's my brother garbage" is left out of the decision. Make the right hockey decision for the franchise, explain to Eric and his agent that it's time for a change and find a team and trade that makes sense for all parties involved between now and the trade deadline.

After only one game, it's too early to predict what kind of season Eric will have, but I'm inclined to think that there's no way he and Ronnie are on the same level when it comes to a new contract. If we're serious about rebuilding, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to start thinking of a post-E.Staal organization.

I watched Driven last night following the game. I have new found respect for RF and believe that he would never have taken this job if he did not think he could make the Canes better and bring this franchise to where it was 10-15 years ago. RF has been around for ALL of E12's time in the NHL-- next to him in the locker room, behind him on the bench and over him in the front office. I think RF is willing to move along without E12 if it comes to that-- the player is not bigger than the team.

I, too, have thought of the Doan situation and the Iginla situation. Of the two teams those players are associated with, it looks like Calgary got better when Iginla left-- not sure one can say the same thing about Arizona and keeping Doan.

I, too, have thought of the Doan situation and the Iginla situation. Of the two teams those players are associated with, it looks like Calgary got better when Iginla left-- not sure one can say the same thing about Arizona and keeping Doan.

Good read on the Calgary situation when Doan left. Same can also be true for Tampa and Lecavalier which should show hope for the Canes in the area of moving on without Eric.

There is one way the Doan, Lecavalier and Iginla situation is different that Eric's current situation. They were beloved by the fan base mainly due to the way the played the game on the ice. Eric is respected as a talent, but there aren't many here that love him for his passion and effort. I also think leaving Eric off most of marketing materials for this year is a pretty clear sign of what the organizations plans are. He is gone regardless if they can trade him at the deadline or not.

I like that comparison except for one HUGE difference. Doan not only made himself integral to the Coyotes in the community, he led by example on the ice every night. Staal has been really good in the community and has been a decent player here, but his lack of commitment on the ice is the biggest reason there's such a dilemma at this point.

Another factor here is that Staal has basically been stealing money here for 3 out of the last 4 seasons. His production has been nowhere near his pay rate and on a budget team in a smaller market that's just not acceptable. That alone is going to make it tough for Ronnie to sell any extension he might be tempted to offer Staal to his fan base.

Bag on the fan base issue. Its a nonstarter. Looking at attendance, only the due hards are left. The due hards know it's time to make a change. Put a winning team on the ice and no one will bemoan losing him. Keep him at a bad deal and you alienate what's left without winning.

eta: It's bad typing on an iPhone 5...it's worse when autocorrect is involved!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back