• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2015-16 Season Miscellaneous News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've loved 3-on-3 so far. It's entertaining, is more than a skills contest, is better than having ties and is drastically better than having games decided via shootout. I'm generally more of a purist who doesn't want to see much change to the game, but I think the addition of 3-on-3 has been a big improvement this year.

Now, if we can just do something about the stupid point system...

I agree. It allows the skill guys to decide the game on the ice and also produces some good Sportscenter type highlights.

My only issue with 3 on 3 is it highlights what a mess the regular 5 on 5 action has become.....cheapshots, players not respecting each other, too many blocked shots, oversized goalie equipment, and no room to maneuver on the ice. Oh, almost forgot crap officiating that is wildly inconsistent.

The funniest thing about these National audience articles is the narrative that Staal is doing Carolina a big favor by even saying he wants to stay. Seriously, the dude is one of the highest paid guys in the league and hasn't produced at that level in MANY years. The best way he can help out the franchise is to get traded for a good return. If by favor Eric means he is sucking the franchise dry, well then yeah, thanks Eric.

The funniest thing about these National audience articles is the narrative that Staal is doing Carolina a big favor by even saying he wants to stay. Seriously, the dude is one of the highest paid guys in the league and hasn't produced at that level in MANY years. The best way he can help out the franchise is to get traded for a good return. If by favor Eric means he is sucking the franchise dry, well then yeah, thanks Eric.

I felt the same way. Eric is frustrated? has he watched himself play? Let's talk frustrating. I'd love to see a fancy stats guy do metrics on the slowest players to get up after being knocked down. Convinced Eric would be at the top of the list of slowest---with a huge margin to number 2

Now, apparently, E12 made some comment that it'd be nice to win the All Star Game prize money. First of all, please try playing like an all-star first. Second, you make like 90 bajillion dollars. You really need another $90k for an exhibition game? E Staal: PR Machine!

BTW, count me in on the 3 on 3. I will watch that ASG this year only because of the new format. As for the regular season, I'd prefer 2 3 on 3 periods and then call it a tie. Dump the shootout. You'd have almost no ties.

Now, apparently, E12 made some comment that it'd be nice to win the All Star Game prize money. First of all, please try playing like an all-star first. Second, you make like 90 bajillion dollars. You really need another $90k for an exhibition game? E Staal: PR Machine!

I don't have a problem with Eric trying to earn more money. I take more of an issue with Eric thinking he should be at an all-star game. He seems to be completely disconnected from what his actual play and worth are in today's NHL. At least he doesn't lack self confidence....

If Carolina manages a token All Star game roster slot, it will CERTAINLY go to Faulk. For E Staal to suggest that he even dreams at night that he might be worth of that slot is pretty indicative of his general problem. He thinks he's better than he is ... and he plays like that most nights. He was putrid against Toronto and that's a team that he normally gets fired up to play against.

Got

to

go

If you are looking for a team to try to dump Cam Ward on, Ondrej Pavelec is going to be out until at least January if not February with a knee injury. One could argue though that their backup (Michael Hutchinson) is actually better than Pavelec anyway. This might be a situation to monitor if Hutchinson falters as the starter over the next month. The Jets are currently 8th in the Western Conference.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/11/23/jets-place-pavelec-on-injured-reserve

Last edited:
If you are looking for a team to try to dump Cam Ward on, Ondrej Pavelec is going to be out until at least January if not February with a knee injury. One could argue though that their backup (Michael Hutchinson) is actually better than Pavelec anyway. This might be a situation to monitor if Hutchinson falters as the starter over the next month. The Jets are currently in 8th in the Western Conference.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/11/23/jets-place-pavelec-on-injured-reserve

Great idea, and there are no shortages of em..but I am always met with - he won't agree to a trade there. (the destination)....
Anyway, I know very well Eric has one, I assume Cam has a NMC too, true? I really can't see any player lining up volountarily to play for the Jets. No offence to Winnipeg. Great hockey city for sure. And return to play for Mo no less?

One could also argue that if Edmonton wants to entertain any crazy thoughts about contending for a playoff spot they need to get a real goalie in there and quickly. Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson have been awful (go figure).

The Jets would give Cam Ward a chance to possibly make the playoffs. Both the Oilers and Jets would get him closer to his roots in Canada.

Not to worry, nothing will happen with Cam until the Canes have effectively buried themselves which could still be months of occasional optimistic good performances away. By that point Cam, if he hasn't gotten hurt, will have demonstrated that he is no better than any backup goalie on most team's rosters. I suspect when all is said and done that we won't be able to trade Cam at all for anything due to the fact that he is just not any good and there is no value there no matter how much of his salary/cap hit we are willing to eat.

Last edited:
Great idea, and there are no shortages of em..but I am always met with - he won't agree to a trade there. (the destination)....
Anyway, I know very well Eric has one, I assume Cam has a NMC too, true? I really can't see any player lining up volountarily to play for the Jets. No offence to Winnipeg. Great hockey city for sure. And return to play for Mo no less?

Look. Ward is from Alberta, has a permanent home in Red Deer, it would only be for the rest of the season, he always got along with Mo and the team is competitive. Talk about no excuses.

In one of the more unusual plot twists against this theory...Travis Hamonic wants to be traded to Winnipeg! That's his first choice of the desired Western Canada destinations for family reasons. The Isles want Jacob Trouba in return. Seems like a fair trade and might get done this week.

The Jets actually are looking good in goal, Hutchison and Hellybuyk are a great young tandem for years to come.

The Jets actually are looking good in goal, Hutchison and Hellybuyk are a great young tandem for years to come.

Which is another reason a veteran like Ward would be a great fit for them. They only need a guy for this season.

Big problem ... Ward isn't playing all that well. I mean he's been decent, but his numbers suck.

One could also argue that if Edmonton wants to entertain any crazy thoughts about contending for a playoff spot they need to get a real goalie in there and quickly. Cam Talbot and Anders Nilsson have been awful (go figure).

The Jets would give Cam Ward a chance to possibly make the playoffs. Both the Oilers and Jets would get him closer to his roots in Canada.

Not to worry, nothing will happen with Cam until the Canes have effectively buried themselves which could still be months of occasional optimistic good performances away. By that point Cam, if he hasn't gotten hurt, will have demonstrated that he is no better than any backup goalie on most team's rosters. I suspect when all is said and done that we won't be able to trade Cam at all for anything due to the fact that he is just not any good and there is no value there no matter how much of his salary/cap hit we are willing to eat.

Sad.

Sad, yes ... but the franchise has earned it with their own lack of direction on Ward. Being willing to let him float around being over paid and mediocre since 2009 has left them in this position.

The joys of being on the west coast...live sporting events at 10am. Watching Rangers/Bruins in my pajamas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back