• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the NHL 2016-2017

Re: Around the NHL 2015-2016

No idea what's going on there, but it's 5-2 at the end of the first period for the Hawks over the Blues.

So...I went to the Flames/Flyers game last night in Calgary: My observations

- Neither hockey team is good. Calgary's unicorn farts ran out last spring. The Flyers just aren't really that good either.
- Calgary has a really, really nice blueline....so I'm a bit surprised that they need unicorn farts to be good. If they had a good coach/system, the bones of a legit 100 point team is there imo.
- Dougie Orr was noticeable for good reasons, but I don't see the stud we were told he was going to be. The skating just isn't there imo. He's basically Cody Franson with an actual hockey IQ. Which is a nice defender, but not a great one.
- Wasn't overly impressed with Monahan or Bennett either. I'd take Nylander over either in the eye scouting department 10 times out of 10.
- Giroux had a quiet night, but was still pretty clearly the best player on the ice
- Voracek is also a beast...noticeable every time he's on the ice. Great combination of size, speed, and skill.
- Never will I accept shit talking about ACC crowds again in my life. I was in the cheap seats at the Saddledome, and the crowd was ****ing dead. Even in the cheap seats....****ing dead. I've seen the same phenomena in Edmonton as well. Neither city has the "suits own the lower bowl" problem that Toronto has either...you can get good seats in Calgary for 150 bucks, cheaper in Edmonton. If Toronto got to pack that many 'real' fans into a building, it would be loud...see Leaf games in Buffalo for example.

Yeah I'm not sure the Leafs reputation is unique to them at all. There are very few arenas like in Montreal and Winnipeg. I hear Chicago is supposed to be rowdy too.

Calgary and Edmonton are bad.

I will be heading to Montreal for my first ever game there next month so I will be extremely disgusted if it is anyway similiar to Edmonton.

Calgary and Edmonton are bad.

I will be heading to Montreal for my first ever game there next month so I will be extremely disgusted if it is anyway similiar to Edmonton.
It isn't. Still some uptight old timers who get mad if you yell too much or stand up.

That trade worked out great for Phil. Anyone notice his numbers are down with a better team/great linemates yet there's no more criticism of him?

That trade worked out great for Phil. Anyone notice his numbers are down with a better team/great linemates yet there's no more criticism of him?
Well, Phil's had a downgrade in his C, so that's why his production is down.

Bozak 19GP 4G 14Pts -1 (82GP 17G 60Pts -4)
Crosby 23GP 5G 15Pts -10 (82GP 18G 52Pts -35)

:) :) :)

5 7, 159 LB Johnny Goudreau is looking lie an elite star in the league. And people say Marner is too small to have an impact..

Last edited:

5 7, 159 LB Johnny Goudreau is looking lie an elite star in the league. And people say Marner is too small to have an impact..
I don't think anyone says a guy that's nearly 6'0 is too small to have an impact... But yes.. Gaudreau is something special.

Back