• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the NHL 2016-2017

I think you underestimate how bad Emelin and Beaulieu are. Maybe I'll be surprised at how bad Alzner and Schlemko are.

I'm sure that they are slightly better, but all of those mild upgrades on the 4th line and bottom pair doesn't make up for Markov gone for nothing.

Alzner over Emelin is legit, but takes a huge hit if Alzner has to replace Markov now, cause he can't

Think how much better the Habs would've been with Markov and Radulov.

I think Bergevin overplayed his hand this summer. You can debate the Drouin-Sergachev swap. Alzner is an upgrade on Emelin. Where is a top 6 center?

Gotta think Bergevin isn't done just yet.

Think how much better the Habs would've been with Markov and Radulov.

I think Bergevin overplayed his hand this summer. You can debate the Drouin-Sergachev swap. Alzner is an upgrade on Emelin. Where is a top 6 center?

Gotta think Bergevin isn't done just yet.

That's what pisses me off. I know Radulov took the same deal MB offered to go to Dallas... so I kinda give him a bit of a pass there. However, if he was a good GM maybe he gets it done. And we know that Markov wanted to sign and says he'd even have taken a year. If he gets those 2 signed, and all the other moves... Habs are significantly better this year and at least have a chance at making a run.

I'm really pleased at the direction we're going in on the blueline. Love having a mobile, skilled blueline and it's only going to improve next year with Liljegren, IMO.

I'm really pleased at the direction we're going in on the blueline. Love having a mobile, skilled blueline and it's only going to improve next year with Liljegren, IMO.
Do you have Liljegren pencilled in for next year or the year after?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Looks like there's relatively little hockey discussion right now but there is a fight between Habs blogger and... well, all Leaf fans for him saying the Habs have a better U25 group at forward, d, and in goal.

Riiiiiight. Not even sure most Habs fans here would agree with that.

Looks like there's relatively little hockey discussion right now but there is a fight between Habs blogger and... well, all Leaf fans for him saying the Habs have a better U25 group at forward, d, and in goal.

sure, we're shit in goal... but I'd like to see the rationale for the other two now that Sergachev has been dealt.

Where's that? I love a good dust up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No one with a functioning brain should agree with that

I mean, what's the argument here. That Drouin, Galechnyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Danault is better than Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Brown, Kapanen? We pretty clearly have the #1,2,&3 in that end of the conversation.

Blueline is maybe a little closer but: Rielly, Zaitsev, Carrick, Liljegren, Dermott is a lot better than Juulsen and pick whichever 4 prospects you want.

Net is a meh, who cares. Neither team is really relevant in U25 goalies.

WTF? Like...is he talking strictly about prospects?

Because you can even forget the "under-25" criteria on the Montreal side of the comparison.

Each of Matthews, Marner & Nylander is better right now than any forward on the Habs. Likewise, I'd take Rielly ahead of any of their defensemen, though I recognize that Rielly vs. Weber would still be a debate at this point.

EDIT: After skimming his twitter page, it seems like he's relying entirely on quantity > quality as the basis of his argument.

Complete idiocy.

Last edited:
Haha it's a subscription only "scouting" website. Who would pay for this?

@grantmccagg

Imo Drioun is better than every Leafs forward except Matthews. Five of the top 8 forwards between the two teams are Habs.

Like, this is an example of how he's framing his argument:

Grant McCagg‏ @grantmccagg 11h11 hours ago
Leafs depth chart at C 25 & under
Matthews
Aaltonen
Gauthier
Brooks
McGregor

Habs w/ #27
Galchenyuk
Danault
Ikonen
Poehling
McCarron
Evans
So the argument here is that the Leaf have "nothing" after Matthews. But if any GM in the league had Auston Matthews, and they were offered every player on Montreal's list in exchange for him...they'd turn the deal down in a heartbeat.

That's where his argument falls apart. It all gets back to the quote in my signature being true.

And it's like all those Max Domi, Dylan Strome, Christian Dvorak & a 1st round pick for Auston Matthews proposals we kept hearing leading up to the draft last year. Is there anyone who regrets the Leafs selecting Matthews instead of making that deal?

EDIT: After skimming his twitter page, it seems like he's relying entirely on quantity > quality as the basis of his argument.

They don't even have more NHL prospects at those positions either. As much as I like reading a digital dust up, there has to be an argument worth reading. There simply isn't one here. The Habs system is barren right now. After Drouin & Galchenyuk there's not a lot of even impact potential. If we're talking about purely depth prospects...for every McCarron, Carr, DLR, Hudon, Scherbek they have, we have a Gauthier, Leivo, Johnsson, Bracco, Grundstrom, Rychel, Timashov, Nielsen, etc, etc, etc

We might be the worst team in the league to make a pure depth comparison against right now. The amount of legitimate NHL prospects we have is mental.

Back