• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the NHL 2016-2017

Yeah, Justin Williams would be high on my list. Seems unlikely the Caps will be able to keep him. And with three Stanley Cups, and a long history, both recent and distant of performing in the playoffs, he'd be a great addition on a 1-2 year deal.

As for the Sharks guys, you wouldn't even need to talk to the Sharks. Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau are both set to be unrestricted free agents this summer.

You mean a long history of scoring at a near identical rate in the playoffs as in the regular season. Clutch.

I can see Pittsburgh selling the play with Malkin angle, Washington the play with Ovy, St Louis with Tarasenko and Chicago with Panarin, and all offer a cup dream all be it not necessarily the contract.

Wonder if he and Radulov tie themselves at the hip.

Cause they are both russian?

Considering neither played together on the same team in Russia, even though both went to Russia as free agents and could have "tied themselves at the hip" then, why do we assume they do it now?

More interesting is if he ties himself to Shipachyov, a guy he's actually been a linemate of at times.

Yeah, suggesting that Kovy & Radulov would be some kind of package deal is a bit of a stretch.

The only time those two have played together, probably, would be in an international tournament or two.

In the KHL, Radulov played for Moscow, and Kovalchuk for St. Petersburg. I think they've also got wildly different contract goals. Radulov is a free & clear UFA, who just finished proving that he's a legit top-6 winger on an NHL team, and he's going to be looking to get as much term & dollars as he can. Kovalchuk is still somewhat tied to the Devils, and as a 34 year-old who hasn't played in the NHL in four seasons, he'll likely have to do what Radulov did this year and re-establish his NHL value on a moderately-priced one-year deal.

Let Kovy go anywhere but here.

If Bergecrap loses Radulov, I see him making a huge one or two year offer to Kovy. Assuming he's still GM of course.

Kovy is way better than Radulov. Its closer Jagr coming back, just at 34 not 40.

Some team is going to get real lucky to get him for nothing.

Kovy is way better than Radulov. Its closer Jagr coming back, just at 34 not 40.

Some team is going to get real lucky to get him for nothing.
Maybe. Kovalchuk did get back to posting beastly numbers in the KHL this year, with a great supporting cast on SKA.

But the fact that Radulov's KHL numbers in 2014/15 & 2015/16 blow Kovy's out of the water makes me wonder.

But I'd still love to take a flyer on Kovy on a one-year deal.

I do think it's kind of funny how hyped Radulov got this year for a 50pt season.

Habs, man.
I think the excitement that Bergevin actually added the legit top-6 winger that the Habs have been pining after for five years got the better of Habs fans.

Kind of crazy that he would've been 7th among Leaf forwards in both goals & points, for all the fanfare he got this year.

For reference's sake, Radulov vs. our 7th-best offensive forward:

Tyler Bozak: GP 78, G 18, A 37, Pts 55
Alex Radulov: GP 76, G 18, A 36, Pts 54

Bobby Mac clarifies the Kovalchuk situation a bit:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Following up on @FriedgeHNIC reporting of Ilya Kovalchuk's potential return to NHL, getting some questions about his status. Here you go:

1. Kovalchuk remains property of NJD as he is on the Voluntary Retirement List (VRL) so he is free to sign with them for coming season.

2. If Kovalchuk doesn't want to return to NJ, he could sign with ANY team as long as EVERY other team in NHL signs off on it. Not a chance.

3a. Because Kovalchuk is on VRL, NJ can't trade his rights to any team unless Kovalchuk signs with NJ first. So sign and trade possible.

3b. Note: Only way Kovalchuk can come off VRL is by signing with NJ. Player on VRL can't have rights traded. Thus, sign and trade is req'd.

4. As I understand it, these rules/scenarios are applicable if Kovalchuk wants to return to the NHL for the coming 2017-18 season.

C-SQlbUWsAIT0ff.jpg:large

With all teams taking analytics more seriously, the possession gap between all teams has narrowed in a big way.

You mean a long history of scoring at a near identical rate in the playoffs as in the regular season. Clutch.

To be able to score at the same rate in the playoffs is pretty impressive, especially when the scoring rate generally goes down for most players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESPN made a bunch of cuts today and shockingly LeBrun was among them.

Can't see him being out of employment for long. Sportsnet should snatch him up to replace some of the mutts they currently have in the lineup

Can't see him being out of employment for long. Sportsnet should snatch him up to replace some of the mutts they currently have in the lineup
Lebrun still works for TSN & RDS as well, so he's not on the unemployment list yet.

I guess ESPN's pretty much getting out of the hockey game altogether, because Lebrun's one of the best out there.

They are purging big time. Scott Burnside and John Buccigross gone as well

And true about LeBruns other gig. Not sure how his contract was structured and if the majority of his work was with ESPN. However I dont see him out of full time employment for long if indeed that is the case

Last edited:

He already works for TSN and RDS, he likely just goes full-time with them.

Might get some NBC time as well, like many of the TSN goes do (Bob, Gord, Ferraro, etc...).

Apparently, it's not always sunny in Tampa Bay.

Here's sections of an interview Nikita Kucherov recently did in Russia:

KvCDXZS.jpg

qj5hJFH.jpg

Back