• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the NHL 2016-2017

Smart GM. He's going to get a helluva player if they let him loose. There will be mistakes and turnovers... but he's gonna be a lot of fun.

One lives there and the other plays there.

utzTCyo.png

You know how hard it is to get arrested in Clark County without being in possession of a dead body?

Well, unless you're poor and black...then it's the same as anywhere else. But for someone who is a professional athlete...dead body in the trunk.

Cheap in the 1st year and higher after in actual $$$, wonder if they try and move him next offseason

Considering he'd be worth 6M as a free agent if he continues to post approx 30 goals, then i'm not sure why they would be looking to move him.

If it helps you feel better, continue in your fantasy.

Cheap in the 1st year and higher after in actual $$$, wonder if they try and move him next offseason
I just had a quick look at Ottawa's page on CapFriendly, and among the higher AAV deals that Ottawa has signed (so, not counting ones they acquired like Phaneuf or Brassard), Ryan, Stone, Hot Karl, Turris & MacArthur all have back-loaded deals. The same is true for Colin Greening & Jared Cowen as well.

So, I'd say the fact that Hoffman's deal is back-loaded too doesn't necessarily mean they'll be looking to deal him later in his contract. It's just a common Ottawa strategy to save Uncle Eugene some pennies up front, and some more money down the line on the off-chance they trade any of these guys before their contracts are done.

Considering he'd be worth 6M as a free agent if he continues to post approx 30 goals, then i'm not sure why they would be looking to move him.

If it helps you feel better, continue in your fantasy.

Then why structure it as 3.8, 5.65, 5.65, 5.65? Back loading a contract only makes sense if you are a budget team looking to save actual $$ upfront and potentially move later in the contract.

Then why structure it as 3.8, 5.65, 5.65, 5.65? Back loading a contract only makes sense if you are a budget team looking to save actual $$ upfront and potentially move later in the contract.

1st year RFA

Subsequent years UFA.

Not that difficult to figure out.

The fact that he will be a very valuable asset in the final years of the deal is simply brilliant asset management providing flexibility in terms of future plans.

Last edited:
Back