• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the NHL 2016-2017

Back it up or shut up. (to be honest, you're not capable of doing either)

Sorry I left my crystal ball at the office.

All you need to do is check out your team's draft history. Normally 0 in a bad year to 3-4 in an extremely good year play any significant amount of NHL games.

Occasionally with another team.

Matthews could be the next Daigle or Yakupov. Nobody knows yet.

The overwhelming majority of prospects fail.

All you need to do is check out your team's draft history. Normally 0 in a bad year to 3-4 in an extremely good year play any significant amount of NHL games.

I'm still waiting for you to back it up or shut up.

Well, they do have a Hall of Fame executive running the helm, with two head scouts widely regarded as amongst the best in their respective areas (European and CHL), with the best prospect pool in the league, highlighted by the most recent first overall pick, and a metric shit ton of cap flexibility in the future, bank-rolled by the wealthiest organization in the league.

So yeah, I'm optimistic.

Did you just plagiarize this from the Burke era? :p

I'm still waiting for you to back it up or shut up.

I am assuming you want the names of the prospects that will fail?

He never said that.

But a list of the prospects that he thinks most will fail. That is an acceptable request.

Carry on.

I am assuming you want the names of the prospects that will fail?

He never said that.

But a list of the prospects that he thinks most will fail. That is an acceptable request.

Carry on.

Any dumb ass can say "The overwhelming majority of prospects fail."

Law of averages will tell you most will fail but with the amount of talent they have stockpiled there is a good chance the ones who do make it through will produce in the NHL

Thats what we are excited about

After 50 plus years of stepping on their dicks repeatedly, the Leafs finally set the wheels in motion to rebuild the franchise, and that's great, but that's all it is.

It's far too early to be celebrating any success. Many of the players you are excited about now will not pan out. Babcock is likely gone before the team is contending, if it ever does.

You have a couple of prospects worth getting excited about, but you're still miles away from respectability.

I would love to have thrown out the idea of trading Zibanejad to the Leafs about a week ago.

You see him more than any Rags fan ever has. You would argue to your dying breath that he wasn't worth anything, and that he would be outrageously overpaid on his next deal.

Zibustejad, Tlustinejad remember...all that?

Babcock isn't going anywhere and I argued only a couple months ago (and several times previously beforehand) that Zibanejad was a quality second-line centre with upside. SENSible even complimented me for it. You can look it up.

But we know you won't, because you and your brethren have this paranoid persecution complex where you assume every Leafs fan is under the impression that all Senators players suck.

Did you just plagiarize this from the Burke era? :p

Burke isn't a Hall of Fame executive (or even close to it rather), we only had Bergman at the time in Europe, limited organizational direction, had a middling to lower-tier prospect pool, no first overall pick, and limited cap flexibility because he blew his load on shit like Komisarek, Armstrong, and other pugnacious "talent."

So no.

Matthews is a substantially better first overall pick than either of those two. Yakupov was first overall in a weak year and Daigle was picked first because he was bilingual and Ottawa is a Franco-English city.

Burke isn't a Hall of Fame executive (or even close to it rather), we only had Bergman at the time in Europe, limited organizational direction, had a middling to lower-tier prospect pool, no first overall pick, and limited cap flexibility because he blew his load on shit like Komisarek, Armstrong, and other pugnacious "talent."

So no.

ugh

Matthews is a substantially better first overall pick than either of those two. Yakupov was first overall in a weak year and Daigle was picked first because he was bilingual and Ottawa is a Franco-English city.

that is not how I remember Daigle

he was a cant miss prospect

not that I expect Matthews to bust

There's a lot of bizarre hindsight around Daigle where people have somehow morphed him into this prospect that was on the Lindros/Crosby/Lemieux level in terms of hype. That's not even close to being true.

You should check out the History of Hockey forum on HFBoards. There's been an almost limitless number of Daigle threads over the years discussing the hype surrounding him. It was never really on the generational level, but there was still a lot of fall-out in the draft from the Lindros year in 1991 and the expansion of media coverage surrounding the event. So it was more of a media created firestorm than a collective opinion by many scouts.

There were numerous first overall candidates that year: Pronger, Kariya, Gratton (if you can believe it), and notably Viktor Kozlov (who fell a bit and ended up being picked sixth overall). He was never on the hype level of an absolute-can't miss game-changing talent.

The Sens loved him because he played in the Q, he was good-looking (marketable), a French-Canadian, and spoke both official languages fluently. He was a top prospect, but more along the lines of a Lecavalier in terms of what was being said about him.

So no.

Hindsight/Revisionist history is a wonderful thing to behold.

At the same point in Burke's tenure the usual parrots on this board were squawking that the Leafs ascendency to the top of the NHL was a virtual lock based on having the saviour running the show.

Last edited:
Hockey is a what have you done for me lately sport, so musing about the past few decades of futility is pointless. As someone so aptly pointed out, its funnier watching arguably our two largest rivals repeating our mistakes. Toronto has finally broken their decades long "groundhog day" habits and embraced a rebuild. What's better is the prospects we have are truly inspiring. Same cannot be said about Ottawa for sure or Montreal.

The Sens have a clear direction. Contend during Karlsson's peak years. They are taking concrete steps in that direction.

Unfortunately an idiot Leaf fan owns the team and has made the path more difficult by making the GM use a budget and then count real dollars in the moves he makes. Thankfully, Dorion has so far proven quite shrewd and the Sens have a proven track record of being able to outperform our moron cousins from down the 401 with their limitless resources.

Getting talent like EK, Stone and Hoffman in draft positions far below their talent level and stealing Turris from Phoenix were a solid foundation left by Murray and Dorion's initial moves in hiring a quality coaching staff and upgrading our #2 C look promising. The Sens will be one of the "surprise" teams of the NHL this year. Just not to those with a clue...

Hopefully, Melnyk will follow through on his promise to get off his wallet and release the financial constraints when the team is closer to cup contender, but being a Leaf fan, I do have some doubts about his honesty and reliability.

Don't worry Ottawa fans, we'll wave as you pass us on your way down :)

Now it's your turn Kreskin...when do the Leafs pass the Sens?

Last edited:
Law of averages will tell you most will fail but with the amount of talent they have stockpiled there is a good chance the ones who do make it through will produce in the NHL

Thats what we are excited about

This. +1

Sens fans would be equally as excited if they had hope for their teams future.

Back