• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the NHL 2016-2017

Good. It's to the Leafs' benefit if the cap doesn't go up much.

They've still got plenty of space, but other teams will be feeling the squeeze even more.

I feel like every team that has money benefits from a higher cap.

In our case, room to add expiring contracts for a true run at it.

Shane Doan will not be offered a new contract by the Coyotes. Any takers on uniting Matthews with one of his boyhood heroes?

I meant brining Doan onto the same team. They don't have to play on the same line.

Watd8eZ.gif

Doan is finished. At best, he's a mediocre 4th line right winger. At worst, he's a liability.

That, and we've already got no shortage of right-shooting wingers. So much so, that we couldn't even really get Leivo & Kapanen into the lineup this past year.

The ass kissing of Doan in the media was funny today "What a Loyal Soldier He Was". I call bullshit. No one held a gun to his head. He loved playing on a losing team infront of tiny crowds. He made that choice over and over. There have been signs the past few months he now regrets that. But it is simply too late. He should have left Phoenix years ago. No team will want him. He's done.

I had a lot of respect for Doan but he's just being an ass the last couple years. The team owes you nothing, stop acting like the team is all about you.

I love how Doan got out of the first round once in 20 years but he's this amazing leader apparently playing with 0 pressure his entire career.

I don't begrudge the guy his career path. If he was happy making millions of dollars in a no-pressure environment, where the weather's always warm and he lives on a big ranch with his family----I can't say that's unreasonable. As for the "super leader" stuff, the guy had Ryan Smyth syndrome.

The media loves guys stuck on hopeless teams who play for Team Canada at the World Championships every year.

It is funny to hear his agent say that Doan's going to go chase a Cup now, though. The time for that was a few years ago, at the latest. If he wants to play anywhere this year, it'll have to be for a bad team. Vegas would be his best bet---he even gets to stay in the desert.

I don't begrudge the guy his career path. If he was happy making millions of dollars in a no-pressure environment, where the weather's always warm and he lives on a big ranch with his family----I can't say that's unreasonable. As for the "super leader" stuff, the guy had Ryan Smyth syndrome.

The media loves guys stuck on hopeless teams who play for Team Canada at the World Championships every year.

It is funny to hear his agent say that Doan's going to go chase a Cup now, though. The time for that was a few years ago, at the latest. If he wants to play anywhere this year, it'll have to be for a bad team. Vegas would be his best bet---he even gets to stay in the desert.

There's something to be said for being a guy who plays his whole career on the same team, and I can understand his desire for that the last few years. I mean, he's the only guy on their team who's basically outlived the franchise. But once the team says it's time to go, if he still wants to play, he may as well plan to chase a cup.

If we're going for a vet i'd go for Patrick Marleau. He's still got decent wheels and actually produced last year. Wouldn't be a bad short term JVR replacement if we were to move him.

Doan can take a hike. Way too old and slow. Thornton too unfortunately. That guy has been slow for a decade and now coming off knee surgery, no thanks.

Marleau for a year.

I would want Marleau, Jagr, or Kovy if your gonna add a veteran player. Thornton is a maybe depending on what he is looking for

If we're talking about adding a veteran forward, my preference would be Kovalchuk, Williams, Thornton, Jagr and Marleau, in that order.

Any of those guys would be a nice add, but I wouldn't give any of them anything more than one or two year deals.

I wouldn't mind adding a veteran player but I also don't think we need one.

Kovalchuk is not really a 'veteran' player in terms of leadership and savvy he can bring to the table imo. He does definitely help on the ice though.

Back