• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the NHL 2016-2017

According to this article there's a chance the Pens trade Phil Kessel sooner rather than later for various reasons mentioned:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...phil-kessel-penguins-nhl/stories/201707120024

Good thing we managed to move him for a decent return.

That's a hard one to figure.

I can understand being frustrated at Kessel's drawbacks, but the bottom line is that the Penguins have won back-to-back Cups since acquiring Kessel, and in those two playoff runs, Phil has 18 goals & 45 points in 49 games. Are you really going to find another player out there for a $6.8M cap hit or less that's going to be able to match that, or do better?

I'd think the best play for them would be to ride out at least two or three more years with Crosby, Malkin & Kessel as their Big-3 up front and see how many more Stanley Cups you can wring out of them, and then if Kessel starts to crash and burn with age, you see if you can pay someone to eat some or all of the final couple years of his deal.

According to Bloomberg's Scott Soshnick, former Texas Rangers CEO Chuck Greenberg is close to buying the NHL's Carolina Hurricanes for roughly $500 million.
Soshnick reports the the deal would keep the Hurricanes in Carolina under the new ownership.

Peter Kermanos Jr. is currently the majority owner of the Hurricanes and is joined by 18 minorty investors, including general manager Ron Francis. Kermanos became the franchise owner of the Hartford Whalers in 1994. He told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun earlier this year he was willing to sell the team.

Greenberg left the Rangers in 2011 after seven months as CEO and two seasons as a part owner of the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/report-hurricanes-close-to-selling-for-500m-1.803998

A month after 50% of the Coyotes were sold for $240 million. Those were the two lowest revenue teams in the NHL last year.

We should take him back if they eat salary. JVR for Kessel and retain $1.2 mill.

I've been wondering about this concept for some time now. If we reacquired Kessel, what happens to the retained $1.2M we have. If you get the player back, intuitively you'd think it should wipe out the retained salary and you're back to paying him his full $8M. Then if you trade the player again and there's no money retained in the deal, the full $8M goes to the other team. But I can imagine some technical reasons the retained money might stay on your cap no matter whether you reacquire and retrade the player again later.

As for trading JVR for him, or anyone really, that's likely a no go. I always got the impression that they let Babcock come in and dictate who he wanted on the team and who he wanted gone. I think he specifically wanted Kessel out, so I don't see us getting him back. Even then, do we really want a 30+ year old Kessel making $7M to $8M long term when we've got the Big 3 we need to get under contract? At least if we gave JVR that money, he's got a couple of extra years of mileage left in him.

bettman dominant.

It's more a function of the changes to the Television industry than it is anything else. Live sports are the only thing driving advertising in the television industry right now, everything else is having it's guts ripped out by streaming services.

Bettman didn't do anything for the NHL that other leagues managed without losing seasons.

It's more a function of the changes to the Television industry than it is anything else. Live sports are the only thing driving advertising in the television industry right now, everything else is having it's guts ripped out by streaming services.

Bettman didn't do anything for the NHL that other leagues managed without losing seasons.
Not to mention that the other leagues---even the NBA & MLB---appear to have achieved lasting labour peace.

Meanwhile, the NHL seems to be rumbling full steam ahead towards another lockout in 2020.

uh huh.

nhl was always going to keep pace with the other leagues. bettman did nothing. and the salary cap has nothing to do with franchise values either.

and the other PA's in the other sports leagues all gave away much more than the nhlpa ever did, and they didn't force their owners to kill seasons.

Not to mention that the other leagues---even the NBA & MLB---appear to have achieved lasting labour peace.

Meanwhile, the NHL seems to be rumbling full steam ahead towards another lockout in 2020.

there will be no lockout unless the nhlpa stupidly tries to unhook the cap from revenues or tries to bump up their share of revenues.

the owners didn't lock out for fun. they locked out because the financial realitis dictated they had to.

and the nhlpa should have known, but they were given bad advice by profiteering lawyers with a complicit media assisting.

the nhl players still get the highest percentage of league revenues than any of the other sports. if they opt out and trigger a lockout, it's on them.

uh huh.

nhl was always going to keep pace with the other leagues. bettman did nothing. and the salary cap has nothing to do with franchise values either.

and the other PA's in the other sports leagues all gave away much more than the nhlpa ever did, and they didn't force their owners to kill seasons.

I didn't say that Bettman "did nothing". I just took a shot at your usual Bettman wankery. Carolina is worth 500 million because live sports is all that TV has left, not because "something, something Bettman".

without bettman, carolina and about 10 other teams wouldn't exist. and after years of mocking him "propping up loser franchises", surprise surprise they're worth half a billion bucks.

In some ways, I do kinda wish it was a smaller league with some non-traditional markets stripped of their teams.

More great players on each team, more talent in each game leading probably to better games, stronger rivalries because of more frequent play between teams.

I mean, I love the NHL as is, but it would be a blast to see the competition at that kind of concentrated level.

Without Bettman the NHl might still be on ESPN.
Where's the big TV deal outside of Canada?

Last edited:
Back