• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the NHL 2016-2017

Sure Drouin marner and nylander could turn out to be similar calibre players in the end...but if you're asking to rank them now, age has to be considered. I'll take the younger guys on the bet that they can be greater than 60 point players when they reach Drouin's age. Seems like a reasonable bet to me.

Yeah, it could turn out that way, I just don't really see the argument for it right now.

You'd take a 30g/56pt season from a 22 year old over a 19-22g/61pt season from a 19 and 20 year old?
I'm not taking sides here as I like all three players but everyone seems to be assuming continued upward trajectory. While likely for all three it doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen.

I'm not taking sides here as I like all three players but everyone seems to be assuming continued upward trajectory. While likely for all three it doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen.

Sure. But why today would we go on anything else other than the facts that we know and make reasonable predictions based on the numbers?

I'll gladly take the younger, more productive players every time and take my chances.

Meh, we've covered this ground before. Early career, elite rookies tend to improve. There are a few examples of high end, early career rookies not improving, but it's usually injury related (RNH, Skinner)

And there are probably plenty of examples of 3rd year players in Drouin's position peaking / plateauting.

There's almost no chance that Marner, Nylander and especially Matthews won't improve. I feel pretty confident that Drouin will as well. Given that he's most likely to receive a bump in opportunities. Also, this was technically his 3rd year, but his 2nd year was only 21 NHL games.

The wildcard with Drouin, imo, is who he ends up playing with and whether the Habs have enough scoring talent and depth to support higher numbers from him. I'm very skeptical of that, but that's no surprise.

There's almost no chance that Marner, Nylander and especially Matthews won't improve. I feel pretty confident that Drouin will as well. Given that he's most likely to receive a bump in opportunities. Also, this was technically his 3rd year, but his 2nd year was only 21 NHL games.

Too skilled not to put up points with increased EV and PP time. As long as he doesn't let the pressure of being the savior get to him he will be fine

I watched a story of him last year when he was going through chemo and that guy was amazing. What he has given to the sport over his life is amazing. RIP Mr. Murray.

For those Montreal fans interested, I've been pretty happy with the Leafs content...

@mirtle
We're happy to offer a discount for early subscribers to @AthleticMTL today https://t.co/Hw7J3XzkDM

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back