• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs/Habs/Sens

Since when has the Euge ever demonstrated a willingness to put profits back into the team?

The Sens have been a cap team under Eugene and will be again once the roster is at the right stage of development and the team's finances are set for the next few decades.

Never mind the fact that the cratering Canadian dollar doesn't help the Sens at all. It means that all their CAD revenues are less valuable when compared to their USD expenses. So if you have an artificial budget, you'd be foolish to think that it will stay constant for next year. Odds are Ottawa will drop their spending next year to compensate.

And sure, the new arena and location will help, but you'd be foolish to think that a new arena will suddenly vault Ottawa to being a fiscal powerhouse. It'll help, make no mistake about that, but they still won't be anywhere close to the big guys in terms of revenue or spending, especially if the Canadian Dollar stays in the toilet.

And I do fully expect the Sens to re-sign Karlsson, but mostly just because the vast majority of players end up re-signing with their old team. Unless if Stamkos is the guy who breaks the trend and we start seeing everyone flee when they hit UFA time, I still expect most guys to stick with the team they grew with. But it's not going to be cheap for Ottawa to keep him, and for a budget team, it's going to make it very tough on their finances at that point.

Well yes, playing any franchise that is actively trying to not be good would make the game easier. Let's revisit this conversation in 3 years and see how easy this team is to play...

Hurr durr.......

A couple of minor items for the Sens doomsdayers to consider.

1) The Sens are currently $6 M under the cap. With the cratering Canadian $ the cap will stay stagnant or perhaps see a slight decrease over the next couple of years. The team is therefor quite well positioned over the short term.

2) The Sens financial situation is about to take a whole new look with the 3.5 BILLION $ Lebreton project. The team will be set to spend to the cap for the next few decades.

Anyone who thinks that the Sens won't re-sign Karlsson is dreaming in technicolor.

The budget is a red herring. How Murray has wasted it is the real problem the team has.

Michalek @ $4 Million and MacArthur @ $4.5 Million. Pick one.
Cowen @ $3.7 and $4.5 next year.... complete bust.
Greening @ $2.5 and $3.2 next year. See above.
Wiercioch @ $2.7 - useless.
Phillips @ $2.5 - finished 3 years ago.
Neil @ $1.5 - useless.
Chiasson @ $1.2 - Waste of skin.
Borowiecki @ $1.2 - AHL scrub.
Lazar @ $925000 - Should be in the AHL.

That is arguably $20 Million wasted dollars. Money that could have been spent better, to say the least.

Greening and Cowen add up to almost $8 Million next season.

This is why the team sucks. Not because Eugene won't give Murray another $6 Million to piss away.

Then factor in that Karlsson, Turris and Hoffman are making way under market value, and we could very well be a cap team with the existing, not good enough roster.

Too much dead weight coupled with gross mismanagement = the Ottawa Senators.

And I do fully expect the Sens to re-sign Karlsson, but mostly just because the vast majority of players end up re-signing with their old team. Unless if Stamkos is the guy who breaks the trend and we start seeing everyone flee when they hit UFA time

Stamkos breaking the trend?

Suter, Parise, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Weber (signed an offer sheet to leave), Chara over the last bunch of years.

I think the common denominator is that teams try to get their guy re signed, and if it's a good situation and/or the money is right, the player stays.

Stamkos breaking the trend?

Suter, Parise, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Weber (signed an offer sheet to leave), Chara over the last bunch of years.

I think the common denominator is that teams try to get their guy re signed, and if it's a good situation and/or the money is right, the player stays.

Well, those guys all signed before the max contract lengths came into place. Since the new max came into play, all the big name guys seem to be re-upping (Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Kessel, etc...). Sure, we're only talking about a few years of data points, but we've yet to see a true star UFA in a while.

Well, those guys all signed before the max contract lengths came into place. Since the new max came into play, all the big name guys seem to be re-upping (Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Kessel, etc...). Sure, we're only talking about a few years of data points, but we've yet to see a true star UFA in a while.

Toews & Kane were offered huge dollars by a club they've won cups with. Ditto Kopitar. Kessel was offered a big contract by a club he had just made the playoffs with...so whatever the situation turned into, it seemed encouraging at the time. I'm not saying Karlsson is going to walk....I'm saying that if Ottawa continues to waste the next 3 seasons of his dominance, at 29 yrs old with a 7-8 yr deal maybe being his last professional deal, his feet could easily get itchy and desire to go somewhere with a better chance of winning. If the Sens are a comfortable playoff team by then, yeah, almost 100% chance he re signs.

Toews & Kane were offered huge dollars by a club they've won cups with. Ditto Kopitar. Kessel was offered a big contract by a club he had just made the playoffs with...so whatever the situation turned into, it seemed encouraging at the time. I'm not saying Karlsson is going to walk....I'm saying that if Ottawa continues to waste the next 3 seasons of his dominance, at 29 yrs old with a 7-8 yr deal maybe being his last professional deal, his feet could easily get itchy and desire to go somewhere with a better chance of winning. If the Sens are a comfortable playoff team by then, yeah, almost 100% chance he re signs.

I'd be out of that place in a heartbeat if I were Karlsson

Its only been 2 off seasons with the contract term limits, so I don't think "we haven't seen a true star UFA in a while" is fair assertion to make at this point. Especially since its looking like that will change this summer.

If anything you would think that not having good players in their mid-20s locked up to 10-15 year deals would increase the amount of good UFAs. Or at least it will increase the opportunities for good UFA's to test the market.

The Leafs just traded their captain to the Ottawa Senators. Could you imagine something like this 10 years ago? Crazy how much being irrelevant changes perceptions.

Back