• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Red Wings 10/27 7:30

Tartar's jersey after his Gerbe fight was wild! Love that Gerbe- biggest pair on this team!

Ready for the Eric Staal trade...

Isn't it a shame that the smallest guy on the team is the player most willing to not take crap and stick up for himself? You have to love his his heart.

The Canes have proven they can beat a depleted Wings squad early this season. Listening to Ron Hainsey between periods last night, it sounded like they thought they played pretty well against San Jose and LA and just didn't get results. We will see how true that is as they work through a pretty busy part of their schedule with a whole lot of home games coming up. I still see a power play that is mostly lost at the moment and not anywhere near enough quality chances 5v5. The Islanders game will be an interesting one to see just where this team is currently at.

Pesce looks pretty darn good out there to me. Ryan Murphy is also for the most part doing just fine out there too. It probably was the right time to give Hanifin a chance to collect himself after Hertl reminded him early in the Sharks game that he is playing in the NHL now. Not sure where the D goes from here, Liles got banged around pretty badly again last night but played the rest of the game.

Right D - Faulk, Murphy, Pesce
Left D - Hainsey, Liles, Jordan, Hanifin

None of these guys are any good on their offside, so Pesce probably sticks. Who's next on the callup list for Right D if one of those three gets dinged up? Would the Canes even consider keeping 8 D and keep a nice "teaching rotation" for the kids so as to not get too overwhelmed as they learn? I think they should.

Biega is probably the next right shot up.

Carrick is probably the next left shot.

Carrick's been tearing it up in Charlotte. 3-3-6 in 8 GP.

Even had a Gordie Howe hat trick the other day...and decisively won the fight.

Regardless of how bad the team might be, its been a long long time since we won two of three from the Red Wings.

Yeah ... I thought that game looked pretty lifeless from both teams. But Carolina got a lucky break for the first goal, a nice seeing eye shot from Hainsey for the 2nd and did just enough on D to hold on. But neither team did anything to impress anybody. On Pesce, I love that he looks to be just about as good a passer as Hanifin. Can't think of the last time we had two D prospects with really good passing savvy like those guys. Otherwise he held his own, but his game lights up when he's got the puck on his stick. I like that kid a lot. Murphy ... I've gotta hand it to him. His effort level is hugely improved and while he's still a bit of a train wreck in his own end, he's not nearly as bad as he was last season. Mostly because he's being a bit more choosy about when to step into the mix in the offensive zone.

So ... again, the most encouraging thing is the young D. Everything else still largely looks like garbage.

One thing I think I noticed on that Ron Hainsey goal....I believe he is using a different stick than he did the first 2 games where he managed to break 3 of them during play? He had a blue shaft on his stick then, he had a mostly white shafted stick now (yes these are the things I look for in games).

No suprises at all. And nice to see continued results and more ice logged for our young up and coming d-men. Not surprised E. Staal got an empty net goal either.

One thing I think I noticed on that Ron Hainsey goal....I believe he is using a different stick than he did the first 2 games where he managed to break 3 of them during play? He had a blue shaft on his stick then, he had a mostly white shafted stick now (yes these are the things I look for in games).

Yeah, you and I are both equipment geeks.

I first noticed that in LA, so I think he might have used the road trip as an excuse to experiment with sticks. After all the broken debris he left laying around the ice in the first couple of games, it sure wasn't going to hurt. He was reminding me of Sean Hill ... in a bad way.

Yeah, you and I are both equipment geeks.

I first noticed that in LA, so I think he might have used the road trip as an excuse to experiment with sticks. After all the broken debris he left laying around the ice in the first couple of games, it sure wasn't going to hurt. He was reminding me of Sean Hill ... in a bad way.

Wasn't he down to 1 stick at one point and needed an emergency shipment from Easton before a road trip?

Two Hurricanes wins at the Joe in the same season? And Eric Staal scored a goal in each game at the Joe this season? I'm thinking these ain't Babcock's Red Wings...

It really was a nice win and glad to have 'em!

Wasn't he down to 1 stick at one point and needed an emergency shipment from Easton before a road trip?

I seem to remember something about that on twitter, but I can't recall if it was Hainsey or one of the other guys. I know Hainsey has joined Faulk in switching to a more flexible shaft on their sticks this season. You can see those things whip like crazy on a long windup. That adds some velocity but can take away accuracy and clearly it puts more stress on the shaft. But then again, those bright yellow tree trunks that Sean Hill used to use back in the day proved to be pretty brittle as well. I remember flexing one of those monsters back during one of those off season equipment rummage sales they used to have and it was ... let's call it unyielding.

Last edited:
I seem to remember something about that on twitter, but I can't recall if it was Hainsey or one of the other guys. I know Hainsey has joined Faulk in switching to a more flexible shaft on their sticks this season. You can see those things whip like crazy on a long windup. That adds some velocity but can take away accuracy and clearly it puts more stress on the shaft. But then again, those bright yellow tree trunks that Sean Hill used to use back in the day proved to be pretty brittle as well. I remember flexing one of those monsters back during one of those off season equipment rummage sales they used to have and it was ... let's call it unyielding.

Yep, my youngest daughter played hockey then and wanted to switch from wood to composite. She insisted that she could pick up one of the used sticks at an equipment sale so I could cut it down to size for her. So I handed her a pro-flex stick and asked her to bend it. Didn't budge. Then I told her to hold her hands where they would be if I cut it down and try again. That's when she decided an intermediate flex would be OK for her.

The last sticks I played with were called Iron Carbon. Pretty rigid and kinda heavy, but they held together nicely. Too bad the guy behind them couldn't hold up as well.

I hate to kick a man when he's down, but I have no sorrow for the Wings. Go ahead and shove your octopus while you're at it.

Jim

The last sticks I played with were called Iron Carbon. Pretty rigid and kinda heavy, but they held together nicely. Too bad the guy behind them couldn't hold up as well.

I hate to kick a man when he's down, but I have no sorrow for the Wings. Go ahead and shove your octopus while you're at it.

Jim

I am personally enjoying seeing the Wings trended downward as well. I think it will be interesting to see how much of a genius Holland will remain with Babcock no longer around and his last crop of stars aging by the minute. Should be fun times ahead for Detroit. I mean he can't constantly pull Zetterbergs, Lidstroms, Datsyuks and other stars out of thin air.....can he?

Back