• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season thread, 2015/16 Edition

Yeah, maybe if you sign in Nashville or Florida you get a few more years with a chance to win, but if you do win you've gotta do it in Nashville or Florida. Gotta believe a big part in LouLam and Babcock coming here is that Toronto is the ultimate challenge and someone finally laid out a convincing plan to win here. You'd think anyone with an ego would want to try to be the guys that finally succeeded where everyone else failed.

I don't know Stamkos' personality though. Maybe he does want to win where hockey's not really a focus. I get re-signing in those markets if you've been there a long time and are settled or get traded there and find you enjoy it... but as a UFA destination... I think that'd definitely surprise me a little.

Timmy and I were at the game...the hate from the Vancouver fans is palpable. I'm as firmly on the tank as anyone but **** did that feel good
Considering the situation, you guys ended up with one very fun game, and an entertaining one too with McDavid out there.

Posted this a couple pages ago, but it got lost. Marner on potentially getting a chance to play for the Leafs before the draft:

In reality, the Leafs, at this point, are closer to "Falling in a Ditch For Mitch" than bottoming out at the "Dishonour For Connor" stage.

And that's just fine with the Knights star.

"That would be a dream come true for me," Marner, the 17-year-old from Thornhill, said. "Growing up in Toronto, everyone always dreams of playing and winning a Stanley Cup in their hometown, for them. With the struggle the Leafs have been through the past couple of years and the playoff slumps they've had, you want to be the guy who goes in there and helps them get to the post-season and takes them as far as you can.

"You want to be the guy that puts a 'C' on their sweater and wins a Cup in Toronto. It would be a great accomplishment and then, you will forever be a hero in that town."

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/02/26/mitch-marner-would-love-to-be-drafted-by-the-maple-leafs

That would be why Stamkos signs here. If he feels the same way as Marner. No other team can offer that.

You can retire at 35 and never work again and live in Florida. Your career is so short. It's just not the same if you win in a market where people really don't care. You have to make the most of it.
Deep down inside I'm sure Martin Brodeur is not happy his 3 cup wins were celebrated in a mall parking lot. And that's in New Jersey.
Toronto is such an attraction in so many ways for money and acclaim. And Stamkos can look at the team and realize there's some great young talent joining the team next October.

Winning in Florida or Nashville is neat but ending a 50 drought in toronto or a 25 year drought in MTL makes you a legend.

Being the hometown boy who returns and brings glory and pride back to the sweater is something someone would make a movie about.

Yeah, maybe if you sign in Nashville or Florida you get a few more years with a chance to win, but if you do win you've gotta do it in Nashville or Florida. Gotta believe a big part in LouLam and Babcock coming here is that Toronto is the ultimate challenge and someone finally laid out a convincing plan to win here. You'd think anyone with an ego would want to try to be the guys that finally succeeded where everyone else failed.

I don't know Stamkos' personality though. Maybe he does want to win where hockey's not really a focus. I get re-signing in those markets if you've been there a long time and are settled or get traded there and find you enjoy it... but as a UFA destination... I think that'd definitely surprise me a little.

jose "i haven't paid for a meal or a drink in toronto since the bat flip".

just imagine if stamkos came home and won a cup...

i didn't really watch the game last night but we were flipping back during commercial breaks / interviews at the skills comp... and i happened to catch the 2nd canucks goal. healy's response was 'finally, some puck luck for the canucks". the leafs held vancouver to under 20 shots and doubled them on shots/attempts. but, yeah, just some bad puck luck for the canucks.

Healy was also kissing Jake Vitanen's ass again.
And all Canuck fans will do is whine that the media is out to get them.

Friedman was the only guy on that broadcast to call it like it is with the Canucks, when he said after the game that it was a pretty good demonstration of why the Canucks badly need to start a rebuild.

If you just listened to Hughson, Simpson & Healy, you wouldn't have any idea that an AHL-calibre lineup was out-shooting the Canucks by a 2-1 margin, and you'd also think that the Canucks could easily be leading the game if they were getting more "puck luck", and if that darn coach would just give the Sedin line more ice-time.

Then you also had Strombo & Kypper in the second intermission listing the Canucks as one of the teams Stamkos would be more interested to go to than Toronto, since they're "competitive".

Stamkos is currently 41st in league scoring and is a minus 4 on a team with a positive 13 goal differential.

Any team that pays him like one of the top players in the league is going to regret it.

For reference, Bobby Ryan and his 7.25 M cap hit were universally panned by the homers here...he has 3 more points that Stamkos this year.

Stamkos is currently 41st in league scoring and is a minus 4 on a team with a positive 13 goal differential.

Any team that pays him like one of the top players in the league is going to regret it.

For reference, Bobby Ryan and his 7.25 M cap hit were universally panned by the homers here...he has 3 more points that Stamkos this year.

I hope they give him any amount he wants. A guy who has scored 40+ goals on so many occasions deserves it. We won't have issues with finding some playmakers for him so i'm quite certain he'll be able to get to the level he was before(i actually believe he can reach 100+ pts). This isn't some guy who did it once or twice so we need to worry about it(but thanks for bringing up a year where he isn't even that focused on Tampa..no matter what he says in the media).

I hope they give him any amount he wants. A guy who has scored 40+ goals on so many occasions deserves it. We won't have issues with finding some playmakers for him so i'm quite certain he'll be able to get to the level he was before(i actually believe he can reach 100+ pts). This isn't some guy who did it once or twice so we need to worry about it(but thanks for bringing up the year where he isn't even that focused on Tampa..no matter what he says in the media).

Weird, the team that is most familiar with Stamkos' health and abilities doesn't seem willing to give him elite money, even though they are built to win now.

But you probably know better than they do...

Any team, Sens included, that pays him 10M or more is goimg to regret it. Hope the Leafs give him 12!

SENSless sees the writing on the wall and has now resorted to fear-mongering and buyer's remorse-type arguments of why teams should not go after Stamkos.

Must suck to cheer for an irrelevant franchise.

SENSless sees the writing on the wall and has now resorted to fear-mongering and buyer's remorse-type arguments of why teams should not go after Stamkos.

Must suck to cheer for an irrelevant franchise.
Yeah, I have to say. It's got to be a good sign when the trolls are moving on from arguing that:

"Stamkos will never sign with the Leafs, lol"

to:

"Stamkos is so overrated that I hope the Leafs actually do sign him."

Someone's getting worried.

Friedman was the only guy on that broadcast to call it like it is with the Canucks, when he said after the game that it was a pretty good demonstration of why the Canucks badly need to start a rebuild.

If you just listened to Hughson, Simpson & Healy, you wouldn't have any idea that an AHL-calibre lineup was out-shooting the Canucks by a 2-1 margin, and you'd also think that the Canucks could easily be leading the game if they were getting more "puck luck", and if that darn coach would just give the Sedin line more ice-time.

Then you also had Strombo & Kypper in the second intermission listing the Canucks as one of the teams Stamkos would be more interested to go to than Toronto, since they're "competitive".

Friedman is a lot like Mckenzie. He just says it the way it is with no ego.

Saying Stamkos might go to Vancouver and then saying Stamkos wants to win therefore wont go to the Leafs is so embarrassingly absurd.
Vancouver is now in the same situation with ownership not wanting to rebuild as Toronto was for years.

Back