• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season thread, 2015/16 Edition

I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to resign him but like leafman101 said, when he's making quotes like that it's hard not to dream.

1a. Nylander
1b. Marner
3. Kapanen
4. Dermott
5. Bracco
6. Timashov
7. Johnson
8. Brown
9/10. Valiev/Nielson
11. Lindberg

Cool.

This is what a quickly did up on a notepad after I posted that.

Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Bracco
Timashov
Dermott
Nielsen
Johnson
Brown
Lindberg

Read in some article after the Phaneuf trade that the Leafs believe they have 4 prospects in the system that will be top 4 dmen in the NHL. Have to assume thats Dermott, Valiev, Nielson and ... Lindgren? Loov?

Read habs fan posts on crosby and ovechkin sometime.

Yeah I remember having big dreams of Sid going to the Habs as soon as he could. :nooo: I remember the time I met Crosby and I was wearing all my Habs gear... he told me that the "used to be a fan." I said "oh come on, you gotta still love them a bit" he replied "I USED to be a fan." Playing professional sports tends to make you less of a fan. I'm sure that your childhood team is still somewhat of a factor as you get older, but I think it falls down the priority list a fair bit.

Ovechkin has said multiple times... while he's been in the NHL that he'd love to play for the Habs. That ain't going to happen either.

That said... McDavid could definitely decide to go to TO. I do think that the Oilers are eventually going to be really good. If he can win a Cup or two and get very comfortable with the team... he may stick around.

Read in some article after the Phaneuf trade that the Leafs believe they have 4 prospects in the system that will be top 4 dmen in the NHL. Have to assume thats Dermott, Valiev, Nielson and ... Lindgren? Loov?
Lindgren's numbers in the Swedish junior league last year and this year do show that he's got some skill. But it seems a little early to prognosticate him as a top-4 defenseman in the NHL. At this point, he's probably a couple more seasons in Sweden and maybe another season in the AHL away from even being seriously on the radar. And Loov kind of seems to be shaping up as a hard-hitting bottom-pairing/depth defenseman.

The only other guys in the system would be Percy, Harrington & Desrocher. They all seem like long-shots to be top-4 in the NHL, but out of all of them, Percy's probably the likeliest candidate. He's had a good bounce-back year in the AHL this year after having a tough developmental year last year being yo-yo'ed between the Leaf pressbox and roster, and between the NHL and AHL, as well as having his season interrupted by injuries.

Why don't teams do it?

Oh that's right because it's never happened with the best player in the world before.
Sidney crosby

Alex ovechkin.

Both were under the elc regime.

So were guys who were just a notch below in tavares, stamkos, malkin, etc...

So why didnt it happen? Their teams never even let them get as far as rfa... giving them long term big money before it could happen.

Yeah I remember having big dreams of Sid going to the Habs as soon as he could. :nooo: I remember the time I met Crosby and I was wearing all my Habs gear... he told me that the "used to be a fan." I said "oh come on, you gotta still love them a bit" he replied "I USED to be a fan." Playing professional sports tends to make you less of a fan. I'm sure that your childhood team is still somewhat of a factor as you get older, but I think it falls down the priority list a fair bit.

Ovechkin has said multiple times... while he's been in the NHL that he'd love to play for the Habs. That ain't going to happen either.

That said... McDavid could definitely decide to go to TO. I do think that the Oilers are eventually going to be really good. If he can win a Cup or two and get very comfortable with the team... he may stick around.

Players are trained to say things like that... they won't admit to a stranger that they still like a different team.

Now if you know the guy they will sometimes admit to it

Why don't teams do it?

Oh that's right because it's never happened with the best player in the world before.

That's the thing... every player had a favorite team growing up... and there's always a best player in the world... and it's never happened. What makes Mcdavid any different from Crosby/Ovechkin or other elite players?

Most likely scenario is that McDavid never sees RFA status. UFA? That's a different story... so many variables that can change between now and then.

Players are trained to say things like that... they won't admit to a stranger that they still like a different team.

Now if you know the guy they will sometimes admit to it

Oh no doubt... I didn't feel I was getting the straight poop by any means. The 12 year contract he signed with the Pens rather than waiting a year to sign with Montreal spoke much louder than those few words I had with him.

Well Lindros did demand a trade to the Leafs. Gretz tried to take less money to sign here. The Leafs declined both.

It could have happened. Might happen July 1.

Oh no doubt... I didn't feel I was getting the straight poop by any means. The 12 year contract he signed with the Pens rather than waiting a year to sign with Montreal spoke much louder than those few words I had with him.

No doubt, most will never get to the point where they test the waters as a FA but if they did the hometown/childhood team factor is big. Parise went home, Perry was considering waiting it out and coming home etc.

Well Lindros did demand a trade to the Leafs. Gretz tried to take less money to sign here. The Leafs declined both.

It's kind of easy to forget how remarkable that really was. At 27 years of age, an NHL superstar sat out an entire season trying to force a trade to the Leafs.

Considering that, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet he'd have signed here if the CBA of the day allowed him to become a UFA at 25.

I still think if circumstances made it so Duchene was ever a UFA he'd strongly consider the Habs or Leafs, not that I actually see that happening. Perhaps McDavid has the same personality/things that are important to him.

Still, think we'd need to count on some favourable circumstances for McDavid to even hit free agency. Probably won't happen.

I've either forgotten or have never heard this story... can someone elaborate

During the tenure of head coach and general manager Pat Quinn from 1999 to 2002, the team was an annual contender, clinching a Northeast Division title, the first two 100-point seasons in franchise history, and two Eastern Conference Finals appearances. However, Stavro's legacy was somewhat tainted when he vetoed the Fletcher deal for Wayne Gretzky. Said Gretzky, "Toronto was my first choice. It was really where I wanted to go. But Cliff came back and said he had taken it to the owner, and the owner nixed it."

- Wiki

After a brief stint with the St. Louis Blues in the second half of the 1995-96 NHL season, Gretzky was an unrestricted free agent looking for a new place to play. The NHL’s all-time leader in goals, assists, points and a plethora of other categories says he was nearly a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks.

“At one point in time we were close to Toronto. Cliff Fletcher [the Leafs GM at the time] really dug in deep and tried to make it happen,” Gretzky told Brady and Walker on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Thursday.

Gretzky, who grew up in Brantford, Ont., explained that he and his agent at the time, Mike Barnett, “were leaning to go to Toronto and be part of the Toronto Maple Leafs,” but it turns out the team was more interested in a new arena rather than signing The Great One.

“Timing is everything, and unfortunately at that time they were trying to raise money to move out of Maple Leaf Gardens and move into a new arena, a new facility, and the ownership just felt at that time they need to concentrate and put more of their resources into building an arena than to sign me,” Gretzky explained. “And that’s business and that’s what happens, but I thought I was close to signing in Toronto. I thought it was going to happen; unfortunately it didn’t.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...-be-a-toronto-maple-leaf-or-vancouver-canuck/

Really, you never heard that? It was the summer of 1996, after Gretz played out the end of that season with St-Louis as a deadline rental.

His first choice was to come here, but our then-owner Steve Stavro wouldn't pay him. So he went to New York instead.

And we apparently had a deal in place for Lecavalier.

Again, I never said that McDavid wouldn't sign with the Leafs as an FA... and hell I'm starting to believe that Stamkos might. I just said it's extremely unlikely that they offer sheet McDavid. As for him signing as a UFA... there are so many variables that could change and play a factor... one of which being his childhood favorite team.

Really, you never heard that? It was the summer of 1996, after Gretz played out the end of that season with St-Louis as a deadline rental.

His first choice was to come here, but our then-owner Steve Stavro wouldn't pay him. So he went to New York instead.

Summer of 96 i was 9 years old... maybe Ive blocked it out as i'm now just dumbfounded as to the stupidity of not signing him.

So how the **** did Vancouver come up? What would be the reasoning Stamkos would go to Vancouver?

I can see the Montreal predictions, at least there's a connection there.

Back