• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season thread, 2015/16 Edition

Which lineup is more talented our AHL team or our NHL team?

Obviously I'm being sarcastic but that is one ugly lineup

According to Babcock, Bozak is out because he's "not feeling well" (sounds like post-concussion), Matthias has "whiplash", and Lupul has a "middle body" injury.

None of them will join the Leafs on their road trip, so as far as the lineup goes, what you see is probably what you'll get for our games against the Flames, Oilers & Canucks. Could be a good opportunity for us to hand some points to some fellow basement-dwellers.

This really sucks. Those guys being in the lineup should make no difference to our tank efforts anyway.

But them being injured has on impact on two of them being dealt in a few weeks potentially.

This really sucks. Those guys being in the lineup should make no difference to our tank efforts anyway.

But them being injured has on impact on two of them being dealt in a few weeks potentially.

Lupul & Bozak were unlikely to move at the deadline. Matthias would be a useful big bodied bottom 6 guy for a contender, but he hasn't had a good enough season to get us much more than a 5th....so if he's out long term, meh.

Polak and Parenteau are the only two that will return anything half decent and quite frankly could be the only two moved at all. If they can get a 2nd rounder for either of them, I'd be surprised but that is the goal. I would say 3rd/4th is more likely.

Nylander for Parenteau
Corrado/Marincin for Polak

-->Improved team.

I wish they'd trade Komarov and potentilly Reimer but I don't think it's very likely.

I'd be surprised if they don't find a new home for Grabner. I think he's just about as likely to go as Polak & Parenteau. His speed and his past as solid NHL goal-scorer makes him an intriguing depth option and PK guy. Though to get a good return, the Leafs would probably have to agree to eat half of his remaining salary for this year, which would bring Grabner down to a more reasonable $1.5M cap hit.

I expect to see Spaling go too. He's not much, but he gives you cheap depth at centre ice, and he's got a decent amount of playoff experience too.

As well, Nylander will definitely not sub-in for PA Parenteau post-deadline, and they definitely aren't going to try to improve the team post-deadline by bringing in any of our top prospects for any serious length of time. But there's nothing new to add to that ongoing argument, so at this point we may as well just sit back and see who ends up being right.

No one wants Spaling. Grabner? Yeah, maybe - but are you sure the Leafs can eat more salary? I thought they were already at the max.

Polak and Parenteau are the only two that will return anything half decent and quite frankly could be the only two moved at all. If they can get a 2nd rounder for either of them, I'd be surprised but that is the goal. I would say 3rd/4th is more likely.

Nylander for Parenteau
Corrado/Marincin for Polak

-->Improved team.

I wish they'd trade Komarov and potentilly Reimer but I don't think it's very likely.

I dig that you're doubling down on this. At least you've dropped the playoff talk.

No one wants Spaling. Grabner? Yeah, maybe - but are you sure the Leafs can eat more salary? I thought they were already at the max.
You can have up to three retained salaries on the books at any given time. Right now, the Leafs have two---Gunnarsson & Kessel.

So, we'd be able to eat salary on one player to facilitate a trade at this year's deadline.

Lou said that Willy will be up. Why do people still argue this?
I dunno. Things like logic and reason, I guess?

Oh, they'll bring Nylander up for a bit. Preston is right on that imo. Probably from the trade deadline until a few games before the beginning of the AHL playoffs. He has earned a reward and the Marlies are lapping the field at this point. The Marlies have 37 wins for 78 points on the season. Nobody else has more than 30 wins and 62 points. They're on pace for 131 points on the season, with barely a **** given about the time he was out with the concussion (and missing Connor Brown all year)

What it won't do is make much of a difference in the quality of the Leafs this season.

Back