• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Ottawa RedBlacks Playoff Thread

ColinM

I get that there's other places to talk about this, but I think Ottawa hosting the Eastern Division Championship for the first time since 1978 as well as their first home playoff game since 1983 deserves a spot here.

I have never been to a live CFL game in Ottawa or anywhere but watching the RedBlacks game last night I was struck at how night and day the atmosphere there was compared to the Renegades last games at Landsdown. I guess it goes to show that anything can be turned around with proper management and the right stadium infrastructure. Aesthetically Frank Claire Stadium looks great and the crowd looked just as excited as anywhere in Western Canada.

Despite his age Henry Burris has a had a season for the ages. You could almost argue that if the RedBlacks were to win the Grey Cup this year he would have a spot in Ottawa sports history that compares to Russ Jackson. Sure he didn't play in Ottawa as long, but the turn around from 2-16 record probably deserves to be talked about just as much.

I'm not sure that this year's RedBlacks are as good as the Stampeders or Eskimos, but like last year's Ti-Cats I could see them making the Grey Cup interesting should they make it that far. I do like their chances against either Hamilton or Toronto, since they have finished their regular season on a high note.

Is summary, Go RedBlacks. May you take over the Alouettes spot as long term head of the Eastern Division.

So Hamilton it is. I'm kind of glad its the Tiger Cats, not only because the RedBlacks played well against them at the end of the regular season but because there's actually people in Hamilton that would appreciate seeing them in the Grey Cup. Maybe things will improve when the Argos head to BMO, but I suspect they'll still be a relative after thought in Toronto.

Anyway. Hamilton - Ottawa will make for good television this weekend.

Huge win over Hamilton yesterday with the touchdown with under 2 minutes to go. I really don't like the RedBlacks chances against Edmonton, given what Edmonton just did to Calgary and given how close Hamilton and Ottawa played each other. Perhaps things will be as interesting as the 1981 Grey Cup.

Tough lose after giving up the game winning touch down with less than 5 minutes to go. Puts up shades of 1981.

At age 40 I can't help but think Burris hit lightning in a bottle. But I hope he can do it again next year.

Back