• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Slugs 11/27 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

The Canes start a 2 game New York road trip in Buffalo. The Slugs are winless in their last 6 and have only scored 7 goals in that stretch, dropping them behind the Canes in goals per game. It also dropped them into a tie with Columbus for last in the conference. Statistically, the teams are pretty even, except for the Slugs much better power play.

After busting out for 4 goals, Peters will probably ice the same lineup as Wednesday. No reason to tinker with success, right?

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

No whiskey, wine. Since arriving in Portland on Wednesday afternoon, we're at 23 bottles

We'll have to compare notes sometime. I was on a trip to Milan once (with my wife's family) that went around that number in 24 hours. With constant eating.

A team shooting percentage of 3.6% and collective goalie save percentage of 0.810. Those low numbers are not going to win many games, or even come close, as was the case with this one.

Just how bad is this team? Well, in the spirit of a picture being worth a thousand words, consider these two graphic exhibits.

Fancy stats includes a measure of "luck", or some say "skill", called PDO, which is basically the sum of a team's shooting percentage and save percentage.

So, here's a graphic that charts save percentage on the x-axis (horizontal) and shooting percentage on the y-axis (vertical). High and right is good, low and left is bad. Color of the circle is related to PDO itself, with red being low and blue being high.

Sh%vsSv%wPDO-allteams.jpg

Note we are holding down the lower-left "Unlucky"/"Suck" corner while our next opponent is all alone up in that upper-right corner.

And, as a measure of where this team stands on the shaky ground compared with recent Carolina teams, here's another graphic exhibit.

Sh%vsSv%wPDO-CAR.jpg

Same parameters, but only Carolina teams from the '05-'06 season onward on this one.

Again, we suck...or is it just "unlucky"?

Note the save percentage is not that different between the Stanley Cup team and our current product. Same mediocre number there.

But the shooting percentage is nearly doubled by the championship team. And therein lies the problem.

Last edited:
Back