• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Euro 2016

Belgium need two things ... a decent coach, preferably one with a clue and some sort of Plan B in their back four for when Company isn't around to turn dreck into defense. Their back four yesterday were just a shocking collection given the talent they have going forward.

And small as they are, Wales and Iceland are probably the two most cohesive units in the tournament. VERY little personal interest in display for either side.

Well, Iceland finally got their viking funeral ... France 5 Iceland 2

That game was done at half when the French bombed out to a 3-0 lead. Iceland just doesn't have the firepower to climb out of that kind of hole. France, though ... that's the best they've looked on attack in this tournament by miles. Given their weird back line issues, they have to feel pretty well set heading into the semis with Rami coming back.

Worst penalty shootout ever.

On style points, sure .... but for dramatic tension, it was the same as if it had been skillful.

And you can add Sweinstieger barfing up that bad a PK under pressure as one of the things I never thought I'd see. He's been a cold blooded machine at those things for nearly a decade.

And Wales goes the way of Iceland ... 2-0 Portugal to put them in the Final. VERY cautious first half dissolved into something different after CR7 soared to head home a corner and then Nani tipped in a CR7 scuffed right foot shot in the space of about 3 minutes. Wales just didn't have the quality to climb back that far. Missing Ramsey and Ben Davies to yellows was VERY painful for them.

Replays on the handball look dubious, but what the heck was his hand doing up there to start with? Totally bizarre way to end the half.

Two bonehead plays undo an otherwise dominant effort. The last 30 minutes were pretty much a thrill ride.

I could never tell for sure if the ball ever actually touched his hand. It is kind of funny that the first time a fifth official has made a call, it might be wrong. Germany controlled most of the game, but rarely looked to threaten goal. I don't think anyone really saw a France v Portugal final coming. If Portugal win, they might be the luckiest tournament winners I can think of.

A fitting end for these euros to be sure. The only more fitting ending would have been if it stayed goalless and was finished with another bad shootout. Ronaldoless portugal are champions of Europe. Crazy.

A fitting end for these euros to be sure. The only more fitting ending would have been if it stayed goalless and was finished with another bad shootout. Ronaldoless portugal are champions of Europe. Crazy.

And even with Ronaldo in the group stage and knockout rounds, they won 1 game in normal time. They didn't win a single match in the group stage. They scored 9 goals in 7 matches. Soccer is a strange game.

Portugal 1-1 Iceland
Portugal 0-0 Austria
Hungary 3-3 Portugal
Croatia 0-1 Portugal AET - Quaresma winner in the 117th
Poland 4-6 Portugal - Portugal wins on penalties
Portugal 2-0 Wales
Portugal 1-0 France AET

Adding more teams gave us some nice stories (Wales, Iceland) but I think the overall quality of the football has been down on previous tournaments.

For the record, I watched the final from the dining room of a Guest House in Lira, Uganda .... and there was great rejoicing. CR7 is quite popular in Uganda, it would seem.

Back