• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2016 Cut the Cord Thread

I looked last night and only saw Fox Sports Carolinas, but it does say on the sight it also has South East as well. Either way, I am good with seeing just 90% of the games.

Quick Update: Apparently there is a bug that prevents viewing all the Fox Regional channels (Except FSCR). Hopefully, they will get that rectified soon.

A tweet just came through about the NHL agreeing to in-market streaming for twelve teams. One of them is Carolina. The link from the tweet is behind a paywall. Anyone see anything about this.

A tweet just came through about the NHL agreeing to in-market streaming for twelve teams. One of them is Carolina. The link from the tweet is behind a paywall. Anyone see anything about this.

I saw that tweet too and posted it in the Miscellaneous thread because I couldn't find this one. It's on the Sports Business Daily site but it is behind a paywall.

It affects all 12 teams that have a contract with the regional Fox Sports stations. Anaheim, Arizona, Carolina, Columbus, Detroit, Dallas, Florida, Minnesota, Nashville, LA, St. Louis, Tampa. IIRC, some of Dallas' games are on an over the air station so I'm not sure if they'd be affected too.

Does anyone have any sense of if this applies to NHL Gamecenter Live not being blocked out locally, or rather (and preferably) that there may be some sort of FoxSports app for the Apple TVs and Rokus of the world which would include access if you were logged into a TWC account that included FS? I'm not finding any further info on this...

Welcomed by me b/c I would like to watch sometimes on my Android tablet & the TWC app like I can a lot of other sports programming. It won't help anyone cut the cord (legally) though:
Ourand writes that no contracts have been signed, but the agreement in-principle allows Fox to start streaming to authenticated users in the 2016-17 season. Those who want to watch the games will have to subscribe to a cable or satellite provider.

Welcomed by me b/c I would like to watch sometimes on my Android tablet & the TWC app like I can a lot of other sports programming. It won't help anyone cut the cord (legally) though:

So much for cutting the cord, but I'm OK with this. I have to authenticate to watch NBCSN or ESPN3 on my iPad, so it's not a big deal, unless they're going to require a separate subscription like Fox Soccer 2Go does.

anybody know how to use an antenna for local channels and record shows on locals?

Tivo Roamio is the easiest and best way to do it, but it has either a monthly service fee for the directory access or a one time fee at purchase.

Tablo is another option that doesn't have as many fancy features at Tivo, but also doesn't have the monthly service fees.

Either can use the indoor HD antenna of your choice that all work pretty well in the Triangle.

Plenty of good information out there and instructions. Google Cord Cutters or Cord Cutting blogs

I will need internet from somebody , either TWC or AT&T. Google fiber is not quite here yet. They have started service in a few areas in Charlotte.

Not AT&T. They have caps unless you're will to spend a bunch.
TWC runs fine and you can tell them you are thinking of google fiber when it comes in and get a price break.
Also, get your own cable modem and save 7-10 per month.

Not AT&T. They have caps unless you're will to spend a bunch.
TWC runs fine and you can tell them you are thinking of google fiber when it comes in and get a price break.
Also, get your own cable modem and save 7-10 per month.

AT&T is getting rid of the cap when you sign up for gigabit

Read the contract closely. I think you also need tv plus pay a premium to get rid of the cap.

We have the ATT Gigapower fiber and stream everything in HD. Not counting all of the online gaming we do also. If there is a cap, we have not hit it.

I did find this press release: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/att-uverse-gigapower-data-cap-raised-unlimited/#ixzz4IZHjpfRD

"...or if you subscribe to the 1Gbps speed tier on the AT&T GigaPower network, you will automatically get unlimited home internet data at no additional charge."

Since we do not have TV with them I guess we qualify for unlimited.

Last edited:
This is not cord cutting, but how is U Verse working out for those who have it now that they have better infrastructure?

This is not cord cutting, but how is U Verse working out for those who have it now that they have better infrastructure?

Curious about that also as my T-W remote did not do volume change one day and met an unfortunate end on a brick wall. Followed the day after by giving T-W the heave ho.

U verse seems fine for Internet at the moment.

Back