• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Will Panthers win the "Big Game"

When I was up north for Christmas I ran into someone who just flat out hates Cam Newton. She called him cocky, arrogant, hated his celebrations, etc. She is big Patriots fan. Apparently the Patriots cheating is acceptable but a QB who is out there having a good time is not acceptable. I mentioned that his cockiness is fueled by the fact that he is simply awesome and mostly unstoppable (ie if you don't want me to celebrate then stop me on the field) and that he enjoys the heck out of what he is doing, but I didn't make any headway.

Haters are just going to hate, you can't reason with them.

The sometimes seemingly unstoppable Carolina offense versus the relentless Denver D. The thing is, Seattle and Zona had pretty good defenses too, but they seemed completely hapless versus the Panthers offense. I highly doubt Denver will be able to run the ball against the Panthers, so its going to be Payton having to put up points.

This one has all the signs of another Panthers blowout. The only things that it appears can stop Carolina is themselves. Even if Denver can get rushers to the QB, they face the risk of Cam already not being there and nailing them with 10-15 yard runs while their rushers get up the field trying to sack him. Payton's floating passes and Carolina's ballhawking isn't a good combo for the Broncos either.

Carolina has me sold for sure...I was a playoff success doubter, but man are they good at every part of the game.

Panthers also seem to get tagged just like our Hurricanes with the "nobody will watch or care" when they play in the big games. We heard all that nonsense in both of the Cup years from outside markets when it came to the Canes playing on the largest stage and now we are hearing it already in regards to the Panthers.

Rivera has done one helluva job of coaching this team and making the players accountable for themselves, they all seem to have bought in to the "team first" concept and it shows!

I am not historically a Panthers fan as my NFL allegiance dates back to where I grew up. I honestly have never cared that much about them in past years as I don't relate living in Raleigh to mean I should be a Panthers fan. That said, all the ire that they seem to generate nationwide and lack of respect they have received all year has turned me into a fan of this Panthers team. I would love to see them win.

Regarding the Cam hate I am not sure if people are still hating the whole college scandal stuff or is it the fun loving celebration guy....maybe a combination of both? My opinion is he did (and got caught) doing some really questionable stuff in college but since that time has lived his life doing very positive things off the field. I think he learned an early lesson, like most other college age kids do, and his been nothing but a positive influence since then. In my book he seems to be a good guy, but if that is why someone would choose not to like him it could be understandable.

I have a problem with the people that don't like Cam because of how he acts on the field. That is harder for me to accept. The dancing, celebrating and other stuff is part of what makes Cam good and he isn't that much different than most players around the league....he just has a nicer smile and more charisma. His celebrations aren't done out of disrespect, but more of a by-product of being successful on the field. Even the incidents of him tearing down other opponents signs/flags in the Charlotte stadium shouldn't be an issue. He is just protecting his home turf and I don't think fans of other teams have a "right" to hang that stuff in Charlotte. You can feel free to go and cheer on the other team, but don't hang crap in their stadium as it is disrespectful. Bottom line for me is I hope Cam keeps winning and continues to have fun with it.

For the record, I'm not predicting anything but I like this matchup with Denver. Their D is good, but people mostly remember what they saw last and the Pats complete lack of a running game made that one easy for the Broncos. They'll have to defend the entire field against Carolina ... plus the X factor of Cam's running. And Denver's offense just isn't very good.

Look .. stuff happens but I think the Panthers should be favored big.

Last edited:
My opinion is he did (and got caught) doing some really questionable stuff in college but since that time has lived his life doing very positive things off the field. I think he learned an early lesson, like most other college age kids do, and his been nothing but a positive influence since then. In my book he seems to be a good guy, but if that is why someone would choose not to like him it could be understandable.

Nailed it!

For the record, the Panthers are my third favorite team, but I am all in on this Super Bowl run. This is a great team to watch and Cam has emerged as one of the most exciting and charismatic players of his generation. #KeepPounding

A friend of mine who is a huge Panthers fan re-posted this article from when Cam was drafted. Hilarious....wonder if the guy is still employed as a writer? If so he is probably really hating this year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...draft-pick-ever?is_shared=true?is_shared=true

His last article on the Bleacher Report site was published in February, 2014. His twitter profile says he can be found on Fan Sided (LA Clippers page), Bleacher Report (NASCAR), Basketball Schedule and Sports Chronicles as well as a betting website. He's @folsom_jim. A few tweets point to articles he wrote on the badassitudeblog. He has 306 followers.

His last article on the Bleacher Report site was published in February, 2014. His twitter profile says he can be found on Fan Sided (LA Clippers page), Bleacher Report (NASCAR), Basketball Schedule and Sports Chronicles as well as a betting website. He's @folsom_jim. A few tweets point to articles he wrote on the badassitudeblog. He has 306 followers.

The Charlotte Observer looks like it covered this 2 weeks ago. The guy just keeps making excuses and looking to spread blame to the editor, when he really should just zip it and take accountability. It would be in Folsom's best interest to just say he is planning on making good on his promise in the fall. It is funny to look at the comments on his Bleacher Report profile and Twitter account. Dude is taking a deserved beating....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/panther-tracks/article53692735.html

Bleacher Report is a cesspool; not sure how anyone could get so worked up about anything posted there, and apparently they get what they pay for. But yeah, epic fail on the assessment of Newton.... 400 yds passing back-to-back in his first games, Rookie of the Year, 12-4 a couple years ago, division champions 3 years in a row, this year's 17-1 record, MVP, breaking all kinds of passing+rushing combined records, SB 50... Tebow's waaaay better than that.

I thought everyone hated NE and Brady? Or is that from last year?

Somehow the cheating Pats have managed to convince a lot of the media that it was all Goddell's fault because he so badly screwed up Inflategate. How, I have no idea.

Never mind the fact that they've been systematically cheating since Bellichick got there.

I thought everyone hated NE and Brady? Or is that from last year?

Not just last year, my hatred of NEP & Brady is a constant thing for me. F#*K all Boston teams as far as that goes. Don't like 'em, never will.

Go Panthers! I was a Houston Oilers fan for decades, but when they became the Titans I just couldn't follow. It was natural thing for me to jump on board with the local team. I'm not wild about Cam's showboating. Everybody's already looking at you, dude. Just play the game and celebrate when you win.

Jim

Last edited:
Inflategate was investigated by some prestigious colleges and professors who specialized in hot air. They found inflate gate was pretty much full of cold air.

Inflategate was investigated by some prestigious colleges and professors who specialized in hot air. They found inflate gate was pretty much full of cold air.

And Spygate? And Screw around with the headsets at EVERY home game Gate? And Eff up the other team's practice schedules Gate? They've cheated fifty ways to Sunday and all anybody can talk about is the stupid air in the balls.

I was a Redskins fan until the new owner came on board, Daniel Snyder - He might be rich but he is a sad person.

Mr. Richardson on the other hand is someone that you can/could be proud to be associated with, so over time I have drifted from the Skins camp to the Panthers camp.

I like Cam, because I see his antics as joy, first and foremost.

I'm definitely pulling for the Panthers to win. It fits my 'If not my team, root for a team that has never won" rule and its the 'local team'. I'm still thinking its going to be a blowout but it appears that a lot of people have faith that Denver's D can keep the game close (but can Denver's O avoid costly turnovers why Payton is floating passes all over the place?)

Panthers.jpg

Go Panthers!

I think the Panthers end up winning it comfortably, but not by a blowout type margin. Like you say, Denver's D is too good to just get bum rushed, but the Cats are so much better balanced than Denver.

A lot of people had faith in Arizona's D too. That didn't turn out so well for them.

The Super Bowl will conclude an entire sports day for me. Arsenal at 8:30, rooting for a hole to open at midfield at Stamford Bridge at 11, Canes at 2:30, kickoff at 6:30. I may stay in sweats all day. :wink

Back