• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

WRAL changing to NBC

The local NBC/CBS affiliates are basically swapping. 17 will be CBS, 5 will be NBC. I think most WRAL viewers tuned in for news and weather and not much else.

Happens on Feb 29th.

In other local TV news...WRAL has pulled both the local CBS and Fox affiliates off the Directv airwaves! Just another back and forth struggle over money and fees with the customer getting the shaft. Let's hope this latest dust-up gets cleared up before Football Sunday!!!

In other local TV news...WRAL has pulled both the local CBS and Fox affiliates off the Directv airwaves! Just another back and forth struggle over money and fees with the customer getting the shaft. Let's hope this latest dust-up gets cleared up before Football Sunday!!!
As a DirectTV subscriber, this really burns me. I didn't like the change to NBC and this is just hurting the customers who are stuck in the middle of this battle. What's worse, WRAL never alerted viewers that this was happening, including the local evening news right before they pulled the plug.

I just got DirectTV installed on 1/6/16-- 14 days ago. We specifically asked would we have all of our local channels and was their any risk of a losing a local network. "Yes, you will have all your local network stations." It's just a squeeze play on the viewers/subscribers with neither party accepting responsibility. I guess I am grateful it's TV and not Flint, MI water issues-- but still sucks. The move by WRAL right before the playoffs is especially brutal-- for the viewers in the area under contracts with providers.

To be clear, DTv wants more fees for more or less the same number of viewers. DTv parent AT&T is pushing them to increase revenues no matter if it loses them affiliates or not.

Blame Capital Broadcasting if you must, but know why it's happening. And go ahead and get used to it, because this is going to be commonplace as more and more people move away from broadcast networks through cable and satellite.

To be clear, DTv wants more fees for more or less the same number of viewers. DTv parent AT&T is pushing them to increase revenues no matter if it loses them affiliates or not.

Blame Capital Broadcasting if you must, but know why it's happening. And go ahead and get used to it, because this is going to be commonplace as more and more people move away from broadcast networks through cable and satellite.

Not playing the blame game or picking sides...but both sides should subscribe to the age old adage "do not bite the hand that feeds you"!

The idiots in negotiations have until Saturday to figure things out...there might be war come Sunday if the Panther game is not broadcast...from what I understand many local sports bars and watering holes use Directv as their provider.

Not playing the blame game or picking sides...but both sides should subscribe to the age old adage "do not bite the hand that feeds you"!

The idiots in negotiations have until Saturday to figure things out...there might be war come Sunday if the Panther game is not broadcast...from what I understand many local sports bars and watering holes use Directv as their provider.

Yup. Just filling in the other side of the coin. I'm not in that particular fight ... I just happened to have lunch with a guy from CBC's management the other day and this was discussed.

Of additional local interest, even with the switch to NBC, WRAL will still be the local outlet for ACC Basketball and Football games through the conference's regional network package. They will continue to offer alternative channel broadcasting too cover network programming that overlaps with the ACC content, same as they do now. There has been a lot of confusion on that point.

apparently back on..

If you have DirecTV... Get an AM21 over the air tuner.. I have one..
Integrates right into the menu.

1) local blackouts = I still get the channels over the air
2) from time to time storms cause havoc with the satellite. OTA usually works.

Put a decent powered antenna on it..

What is that- an AM21 over the air tuner? and how does that work? install?

And by antenna, are you talking about one of those digital ones? Any brand recommendations for either?

What is that- an AM21 over the air tuner? and how does that work? install?

And by antenna, are you talking about one of those digital ones? Any brand recommendations for either?

I'm old enough to remember going outside my home in South Carolina during some broadcasts to twist the antenna around to get a better signal! Of course, we only had 3 stations back then!

Was playing a very dated version of Family Feud with the kids last weekend. Survey question...how many channels does the average TV get? #1 answer...7

BTW one thing that really drives local TV news ratings is the weather guy/gal. When ratings tank it's often the weather person who gets axed first. Pretty amazing that Fishel has been at WRAL since 1981. The other stations change weather people every few years. I actually lived next door to the channel 11 weather woman, she lasted about 2 years.

And I noticed channel 11 now has a weather person who is a former Miss NC. She graduated Johns Hopkins and then got another degree in meterology.

Local TV stations make big bucks even now with so many cable channels. Which is why they can afford their own $5 mil doppler radars. And local news is a big money maker for them since they control all the ads for local shows.

Back